1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Social Security & Credit Cards for Illegal Aliens

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by JGrubbs, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

First the Bush administration offers Social Security for illegal aliens, now Bank of American wants to give illegal aliens credit cards.

Bank of America Corp. has begun offering credit cards to customers without Social Security numbers, typically illegal immigrants, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

In recent years, banks across the country have been offering checking accounts and even mortgages to the nation's fast-growing ranks of undocumented immigrants, most of whom are Hispanic, the paper said, adding these immigrants generally have not been able to get major credit cards.

The new Bank of America card is open to people who lack both a Social Security number and a credit history, as long as they have held a checking account with the bank for three months without an overdraft, the Journal said.

Source: Reuters 2007

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

That credit card also has hugh precentage rate too I heard this morning. In actuality it is a legal method of ripping tem off.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

How do they get a checking account without a SS number?

4. snrsvdbygrc

snrsvdbygrc New Member

It doesn't matter to the banks, they are still operating on the 80's mentality that "Greed is Good". I live in Charlotte, second largest banking city in the USA, all of the tallest buildings in town are all banks! They were not paid for by good deals at the bank, they were paid for with service fees, and interest.

I don't have anything against them, other than they pray mostly on those who cannot afford to pay, such as college students, elderly, and those with incomes below what should be tolerated to own credit cards. And they pay the most interest. I believe it is the personal responsibility of the owner of the card to know what he/she can and can't handle, but there is a serious lack of discernment in this country when just the average credit card debt is over $8,000.

We have a backwards financial mentality in this country. If you have the most money you pay the least. If you are wealthy you buy a $25,000 car outright. If you are middle class you buy a $16,000 car but still pay $25,000 for it. Same with houses.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I will have to look it up but i believe it is illegal to get a bank account without a SS#. this has been implemented by Homeland security since 911. I was told this by a bank teller.

6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

"The Bible calls debt a curse and children blessings. But in our society, we apply for curses and reject blessings. Something is wrong with this picture."
    —Doug Phillips​

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That has been happening for at least 25 years that I know of.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Of course, if one continues to fork out 9K in interest (36% of cost) or a rapidly depreciating item, they will remain among the "un-wealthy."

My family is definitely counter-cultural. We have no debt, and we don't make car payments--except to ourselves. God willing, I'll never have another car payment.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>If you are middle class you buy a $16,000 car but still pay $25,000 for it.

You can defer gratification and save then pay cash. The only time I ever made car payments was when I was driving 100 miles a day in a 350 chev at 10 MPG and bought a Geo for $8,000 - 40 MPG. The payments were less than the gas savings.

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Then what do foreigners who do business (or own businesses & property) in the US do?

On the whole, I think you're correct as even little babies have SSNs nowadays, but there must be some allowance for non-citizens. Perhaps a tax id number instead of a social security number?

Do legal residents get SSNs with their green cards and work visas?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My wife who works in a hospital witnessed a lady who had six SS cards in her possession.