1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Modern Versions Make Jesus Christ a Liar

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ICHTHUS, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pasage in question is from John's Gospel, chapter 7, where we read:

"Then Jesus said to them, “My time has not yet come, but your time is always ready. The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it that its works are evil. You go up to this feast. I am not yet going up to this feast, for My time has not yet fully come.” When He had said these things to them, He remained in Galilee. But when His brothers had gone up, then He also went up to the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret" (verses 6-10)

Now, if you were to read this in the majority of modern versions, you will see that they have omitted the word, "not yet" (Greek, oupo), and simply read, "not" (Greek, ou). The fact of the matter is, as we can see from verse 10, Jesus did go up to the feast. But, with "yet" missing, it has Jesus saying that He would not go up to the feast, and to do so later. As for the textual evidence, the oldest Greek Papyri manuscripts dating from 200 A.D., have "oupo", as do the Old Latin manuscripts, which are based on Greek, and does the Latin Vulgate of Jerome, and other old versions and quotations by early Christians. To some people this may seem a small thing, and won't see any importance in this omission. We cannot accept the misguided comments found in A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, edited by Bruce Metzger, and published by the United Bible Society:

"the reading oupo was introduced at an early date (it is attested by P66, 75) in order to alleviate the inconsistency between ver. 8 and ver. 10" (page 216)

So, here we are told by one of the leading Greek textual scholars, whose works are the basis for the majority of the modern versions, that, even though the earliest Greek manuscripts, the P66, 75 (papyri) contain the correct reading, it was "introduced" to remove the problem that would exist between verses 8 and 10, if it were not there. This is staggering nonsense, as further shows that lack of respect that these people had for the Authority of the Word of God. There is not a single shred of any textual evidence to support this wild claim by the UBS text, and sadly is blindly followed by the versions that use this incompetent Greek text for their basis. There are many other such remarks made in this work, which are based, not on any fact or evidence, but the misjudgement of so called scholars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The UBS gives "not" a rating of a "C", which is far from a glowing endorsement. But either way, the context of the passage would allow Jesus to "not" go and not make Him a liar, since he did not "go" publicly, but went in private. Jesus told them His "time had not yet come". This is the same thing He told Mary at thr beginning of His ministry. With context of verse 3 and 10, it appears His brothers wanted Him to go in power and put on a public display, but Jesus did not go in public and in power, but in private. He did this because they(Jews) were seeking to kill Him(v.1)....and His time had not yet come.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ichthus, I see you are relying on Alexandrian papyri to make your point in this thread, but then warning us against modern translations, which lean more heavily Alexandrian, in other threads.

Seems problematic, logically.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed: Non-Baptist posting in a Baptist Only Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.