1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Someone in charge of the BB

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The report is not illegitimate. The complaint may have been. The moderator in question may simply have disagreed with your assessment of the post.

I merely responded to what you said. I didn't bring you into it. You brought yourself into it, and I merely pointed out a possible reason why the reported post may not have been edited.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

AJ.

Please excuse me for butting in, but I really can´t understand how you say Roger does not like you after you said this about him in another thread.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I guess I'm a bit strange. (the peanut gallery will probably quote me, and have a field day with that statement :D).

But this place, for me, is an outlet. I just don't get too worried about matters such as this. Perhaps I should, but I don't.

If it got really bad--bad enough for me to leave--I'd miss it, but I'd be just fine.

I'm not going to get too worked up over how I think mods should respond. Heck...they probably have more of an issue dealing with me than I do dealing with them...:laugh: .

A few years back, I was on another site that really got me steamed. Seriously mad. I decided that if it was affecting me like that, I'd just take a break. It's been 3-4 years since...and I've not been back. And I'm the better for it. It wasn't that the site was bad...but there's enough in my life to cause stress...I'm not going to add a message board to that list.

All of the above...it's just me and my thoughts. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. See our store for details. E pluribus unum.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This charges are patently false - I will not defend a moderating decision in open forum. You are not content with my explanation - for that I am sorry, but that does not change the decision.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I didn't defend Roger. In fact, I didn't even knew who the mod was when I first posted. My point was about the way that disagreements are to be handled on the BB. You handled it wrongly.

You contact the mod (which you say you did). Then you contact an admin if you not satisfied. You don't start a thread to whine about it in public. Seriously, man, it's not that big a deal. A few words that should have never been said were removed. And very few here would know about it if you hadn't brought it up.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Have you ever considered reading the BB posting rules you agreed to?

(Why am I even bothering to ask this question??) :BangHead:

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You noticed that too, I see.

I only noticed this because I'm so intellectual, you realize! :rolleyes:

Incidentally, on this thread is at most, about only the third time I've ever been accused about being intellectual about anything, in my life. :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#27 EdSutton, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

You are the parent, and I am the child....I dont have a choice

AJ

9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

No, I didnt handle it wrongly...I did pm Roger, and was quickly and sternly dismissed.

AJ

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So your next step should have been to contact an administrator if you wanted to pursue it further. Your next step was not to start a thread for public whining.

So yes, you did handle it wrongly. You did not take the appropriate step of contacting an administrator. You took the inappropriate step of public whining.

#30 Pastor Larry, Mar 20, 2009
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What is wrong with bringing this to the open forum? Is there a BB rule against it?

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I've been called a liar a numer of times. I wasn't, but someone did not agree with me on a topic and dropped the "liar" bomb.

Also the word "lie" "liar" and "lieing" is often put in topic titles. I think that is also over the top, inflammatory, and simply wrong.

I would like to see topic titles edited when these and other inflammatory words have been added to a title.

There should be civility in a discussion. Baptists, at least where I grew up, always stessed listening to others politely and responding politely. Somewhere along throug the years this seems to have been lost.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Time to delete this entire thread, IMO!

My personal opinion is that enough charges and counter-responses have been made on this thread.

I am going to ask something I have never done before on the BB, and request that this thread be closed by any Administrator or a Moderator of this thread, and one who has not weighed in previously or been mentioned, in any manner on this thread, so no one can accuse any conflict of interest, here. Further, while I would really like to see the whole thread completely deleted, I would ask that this at least be permanently moved to Archives, in the alternative.

Reason is apparently having no effect on this thread, and I see no good reason for us on the BB to air out the dirty laundry, for those who visit this site, to see, and use this as some excuse against all of us.

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Good post! And well said! :thumbsup:

And this from one whom I do seldom agree with, on another forum.

Ed

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry to see this complaint. Roger was one of the primary people raising concern while you were enduring difficult circumstances. I disagree with the characterizations made of him. I simply know better.

Mods have their own personality and perspective. When they moderate this or any board that certainly comes into play. I have disagreed with a moderator or two here but I also defer to their judgment whether I like it or not. What goes on on this board needs a buck twenty five to add up to a cup of coffee at the local 7/11 at the end of the day.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Only a few mods will remove it, most will leave it. I've seen it over and over.
    The rest of your post treated me like an idoit, I don't appreciate it.
    what happens when the mod refuses to handle it, refuses to acknowledge your communication?
    I'll tell you what, nothing.
    we've been told in the past not to do this and tie up mods, only one mod is necessary we were told.
    I'm glad they respond to someone, but they do not respond to me.
    these are personal attacks

of course the behavior of mods must be kept secret, no accountabilitiy to the rest of us apparenly.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

My post wasn't even addressed to you or your comments I don't think. I dealt with three posts: one from Crabtownboy, one from ajg1959, and one from webdog. So please take more care so that you don't falsely accuse me again.

As I have said several times, take it to an adminstrator such as Brother Barnabas. He is one of the kindest men you will ever meet.

Actually no, the moderators do address these issues with each other. We simply don't air our dirty laundry in public.

No, they're not.

There's not really a case for accountability to the general public. The BB is owned by its owner, and we are all accountable to him. We serve at his pleasure, not at yours. And you post here at your pleasure. There is accountability for moderators.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

I didn't falsey accuse you of anything, I WASN'T ADDRESSING YOU! Get it, I WASN"T SPEAKING TO YOU! Now it's you who have falsely accused me.
    As a mod, you need to appologize for this behavior of yours, when I didn't even speak to you in my statement you quoted.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

what you don't do is show us your accountable and have to answer just like the rest of us. Then we see mods attacking people, saying and doing what they like, and no one says or does a thing.

calling someone a whiner is most certainly personal.

not that we've seen in the mods behavior.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You were quoting my post #15 from page 2 when you started. I assumed that since you were quoting me that you were addressing me. My apologies if I was incorrect.

How would we show you? Reveal the contents of the moderator's private forum? Or the content of private messages? Is there anything that would convince you?

Don't assume no one does a thing. You might just not know about it.

No it's not. It is a comment on the type of behavior that was going on, where someone didn't get their way, and decided to public complain. That is what we call "whining." If it were my three year old, I would call it a temper tantrum.

As I reminded him last night (and every night it seems like), when you don't get what you want, you say, "Yes sir" and walk away. You don't stomp your foot, cry, and complain.

Did it ever cross your mind that perhaps you are not looking in the right place, or looking for the right thing? Perhaps your view is jaded so that you can't see it. Who knows ...

Trust me, moderators are not perfect (except for me). We have to deal with some very unruly people at times, and say some unpopular things. We have to make judgment calls about things where there is no clear answer. I can't speak for all, but I think most of us do our jobs in good faith with good intentions. There is no doubt we fail from time to time, but I don't think we deserve what we are getting here.

And if you don't like the moderating, I suppose you are free not to post. It will guarantee that you never get edited.

#40 Pastor Larry, Mar 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.