1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Someone please explain the difference between Arminianism and Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by lgpruitt, Apr 20, 2006.

1. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, too, am Reformed Arminian, and I second Alleys post.

JDale

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

alley and jdale, welcome to the BB.

I would be interested in understanding the "reformed arminian" view, as I have never heard of this before.

BTW, I would fall under the "Free Grace" position, if I have to put a theological label on myself.

3. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Whew! By the time you read all that, igpruitt, you can start your own congregation. I notice in your credits that you write: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us." It's how WE know, and it's for US. That's pretty clear. I'm not TULIP or Arminian, and I'll see you in Heaven.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus laid down His life for His sheep , who are His Church , His bride , His elect and many other sister terms . He did not die for those whose final destiny is Hell -- whose names are not written in the Lamb's Book of Life .

I too am curious about the term " Reformed Arminian " . Is that the same as a Biblicist , which is the equivalent of a semi-Pelagian ? It's hard to keep up with the ever-changing word games .

5. alley

alley New Member

On one hand I am surprised the term Reformed Arminian has never been heard. Then again I am not surrprised at the same time. The term comes from Jacob Arimianeous (sp?) While many methodist believe in a work salvation (Weselyean Arminian) we do not

Some quick points that would we would have

1. Salavation is through faith by grace not of works

2. Man has a "free will" to choose to accept or reject Christ. There is no election

3. Christ died for all, and His desire is for all to be saved

4. Believe in the Virgin Birth

5. Believe in a literal resurection on the thrid day

6. We have been labeled several times as people who believe that can "Lose their Salavation". This is far from the truth. We believe in the Security of the Beliver. This is very different than Eternal Security. If man has Free Will to chose Christ, he also has Free Will to forfeit their salavation as well.

7. We do not believe in repeated regeneration at all.

This is very basic prinicples by which we go by. JDale is very well schooled in this. He can clarify and explain much better than I can. So I will let him pick up from here

(p.s. Not here looking for a debate, just fellowship)

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

It's strange. People tend to think that one is either a "Calvinist" or an "Arminian".

The whole "Arminianism" has is origins in the Dutch remonstrance, which occurred after the death of Arminius (whose real name was Jakob Harmensz). Arminius's followers challenged the prevailing referomed churches on several points, particularly limited atonement. Arminius and his followers believed that the atonement was "general" and that grace could thus be resisted. Arminius held that salvation could be lost, but only through complete wilfull apostasy. The "5 points of Calvinism" were set by the Synod of Dort (long after Calvin's death), in response to the Dutch remonstrance. The synod affirmed the positions of John calvin and rejected the potential reforms of Arminius' followers.

Today's "Arminianism" is not that of Arminius and has its roots in the theology of John Wesley, who considered his own theology to be "Arminian". Most nonreformed baptists today are probably pretty close to the position of Arminius, excpet for the issue of the potential loss of salvation.

7. alley

alley New Member

Charles you are correct about how close we are except for the apostasy issue.

I am a Free Will Baptist Preacher. Some may know a little about FWB and some may not. I have talked with several SBC pastors who had no clue exactly what we believed and after clarifying what we believed, they ended up saying "I am not far from that, except the apostasy issue"

The aspostasy issue is what really seperates us, unless you are a SBC 5 Point Calvinist. Other than that, there isn't no difference.

Things that SBC preachers have told people what we believe (this is no joke)

1. Don't go to that church because they get extremely wild in their services

2. The believe in speaking in tounges

3. They are just like the Church of CHrist

4. They believe people can lose their salvation over and over

5. (This one came from a SBC lady not a pastor) Is it true you all handle snakes?

Those comments just make me laugh. My father-n-law is a SBC preacher. When I announced that I would be marrying his daughter he had a hard time with it. He started going to FWB churches to find a scoop on why his daughter should not marry me. He later told me, that he couldn't find any difference in the service and found the sermons to be very good.

I have even heard some of the SBC big guns say from the pulpit Arminians are right on this point (Heard that a couple of times at Dr.Jerry Vines pastor's conference)

I talked to this intelligant teenager. I was really impressed with him. We went down the line of salvation and found out that we agreed on everything and even part of the bottom line.

When it comes to the issue of apostasy, we say

1. Either that person really was never saved
    2. They forfeited their salvation
    3. They are in a deep backslidden state of salvation.
    More than likely it is 1 and 3 instead of 2, but 2 does happen (in our belief)

He couldn't believe how similar we were except for point #2

8. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

you might also say that the Arminius - Calvin dispute began very early in church history in the confrontation between Augustine and Pelagius.... the story goes that Pelagius was disturbed when he read a prayer by Augustine that went something like

"Lord command what you will, and grant what you command"

Pelagius became very angry about this because he felt that God would not command what we did not have the power or ability to accomplish... sound familiar? Today's arguments between Calvinists and Arminians often revolve around that same debate... ability... that if God commands sinners everywhere to repent, then, so says the Arminian, he must then have the ability to repent.... otherwise God would not be just etc in commanding him to do what he cannot do..... Augustine/Luther/Calvin went on to argue for the Fall having so corrupted the will that unless God gives the ability to do as He commands, man will not be able to do it because man's will is such (fallen) that He will not desire to please/obey God.... that it takes God's sovereign power (and mercy) to replace a heart of flesh with a heart of stone, that one must be born again by the spirit in order to be saved... for the flesh profits nothing, and nothing is not a little bit of something [​IMG]

blessings,
    Ken

9. Dustin

Dustin New Member

igpruitt, I'm sorry you were CoC. I HEAR all kinds of horrible things about them and there are some that are quite adamant about baptismal regeneration. But I know there are some awesome CoC congrgations, so don't think I'm trying to be unfair. [​IMG] I myself am probably a Calvinist. I also see that a lot of people who hod an Arminian view eventually end up leaning closer and closer to Calvinism. I just think that Calvinism makes more sense. IMO, before regeneration, the only "free will" man has is to sin. I don't see how a totally depraved soul can make a choice out of "free will" to believe in Christ. It HAS to come from God. I think most people who hold the Aminian view have a problem with particular redemption, or limited atonement. Well, if you are a true believer in Christ, I don't see where you should have any problem with that. Christ died for Hs sheep, those who would believe. Also, Arminius, from the bit that I've read about him, never actually believed one could lose thier salvation though he thought it was a possibility. That was if his beliefs about free will were accurate. I think the bible speaks for itself as far as election, and the perserverance of the saints. John Wesley was a heretic in my opinion. I believe his theology to be utterly flawed. It's his brand of Christianity that gave people like Dan Corner a reason to blast true biblical Christianity. Dan Corner is a heretic in my opinion. It's just THIER theology hinges too much on man. The most convincing aspects of Calvinism for me are the total depravity and election, which are biblical. I don't claim one or the other, but Calvinism makes more sense to me. I love all my brothers and sisters in Christ either waythey believe.

Dustin

10. Dustin

Dustin New Member

AMEN, Ken!

11. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I am overwhelmed at the postings since yesterday in the afternoon. Wow...so much to read and soak up. I do want to understand the differences for what "they are" and not "who they are". I'm here for the education on this question for sure! I do appreciate all the postings. [​IMG]

12. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

It's funny...I was brought up Church of Christ for the first 18 years of my life. In that way of thinking you can loose your salvation. From Church of Christ I was Evangelical for roughly 17 years. Then, 5+ years ago (I am now 40) I became Baptist. I feel here I am at home and where I belong. I'm just wanting to completely understand everything, I suppose, if one can do that in religion. :confused: [​IMG]

13. mnw

mnw New Member

John Wesley a heretic? Wow, and there was one of the Calvinists favourites, Whitfield, saying he would not see Wesley in Heaven because Wesley would be so much closer to God...

14. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

opps... I wrote "to replace a heart of flesh with a heart of stone," and I MEANT to write "replace a heart of stone with a heart of flesh!!! lol [​IMG]

blessings,
    Ken

15. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

What is repeated regeneratoin?

16. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Believe me...I'm sooooooooo glad not to be COC anymore. My mother and I can no longer talk about religious beliefs. [​IMG]

17. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

O.k....repeated regeneration....from what I can "google"....being baptised again? For instance, I was baptized when I was 8 in the COC church. But, when I was 30 I had what I called a "Believer's Baptism". So, that would be repeated regeneration? [​IMG]

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think what they mean by no repeated regeneration, correct me if I'm wrong Alley, is that if someone who was saved (i.e., regenerated) and they later apostasize and reject that salvation, then there is no chance of them ever being regenerated (saved) again.

19. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

o.k....I was way off....thanks for the explanation... [​IMG]

20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Arminianism is the doctrine developed by Arminius' followers:

1. Conditional election. "That God, by an eternal and unchangeable purpose in Jesus Christ his Son, before the foundation of the world, hath determined, out of the fallen, sinful race of men, to save in Christ, for Christ’s sake, and through Christ, those who, through the grace of the Holy Ghost, shall believe on this his son Jesus, and shall persevere in this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end; and, on the other hand, to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath, and to condemn them as alienate from Christ, ... "

2. Unlimited atonement. "That agreeably thereunto, Jesus Christ the Savior of the world, died for all men and for every man, so that he has obtained for them all, by his death on the cross, redemption and the forgiveness of sins; yet that no one actually enjoys this forgiveness of sins except the believer, ... " (BTW, the remonstrants accepted penal, substitutionary atonement.)

3. Total depravity. "That man has not saving grace of himself, nor of the energy of his free will, inasmuch as he, in the state of apostasy and sin, can of an by himself neither think, will, nor do any thing that is truly good (such as saving Faith eminently is); but that it is needful that he be born again of God in Christ, through his Holy Spirit, and renewed in understanding, inclination, or will, and all his powers, in order that he may rightly understand, think, will, and effect what is truly good, according to the Word of Christ, ... "

4. Grace is not irresistible. "That this grace of God is the beginning, continuance, and accomplishment of all good, even to this extent, that the regenerate man himself, without prevenient or assisting, awakening, following and cooperative grace, can nei­ther think, will, nor do good, nor withstand any temptations to evil; so that all good deeds or movements, that can be conceived, must be ascribed to the grace of God in Christ. but respects the mode of the operation of this grace, it is not irresistible; inas­much as it is written con­cerning many, that they have resisted the Holy Ghost."

5. Ambivalence on the issue of eternal security or perseverance. "That those who are in­corporated into Christ by true faith, and have thereby become partakers of his life-giving Spirit, have thereby full power to strive against Satan, sin, the world, and their own flesh, and to win the victory; it being well un­derstood that it is ever through the assisting grace of the Holy Ghost; and that Jesus Christ assists them through his Spirit in all temptations, extends to them his hand, and if only they are ready for the conflict, and desire his help, and are not inactive, keeps them from falling, so that they, by no craft or power of Satan, can be misled nor plucked out of Christ’s hands ... But whether they are capable, through negligence, of forsaking again the first beginning of their life in Christ, of again returning to this present evil world, of turning away from the holy doctrine which was deliv­ered them, of losing a good conscience, of be­coming devoid of grace, that must be more particularly determined out of the Holy Scripture, be­fore we ourselves can teach it with the full persuasion of our mind."