1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Something fishy is going on...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by amazinglove92, Sep 29, 2004.

1. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

In a camp meeting last year 70% of the people attended where saved. This was put on by a local church. Praise God! right? Well one of the weird things is that some pastors got saved half, of the choir was saved, and many sunday school teachers. Well Amen if they were never really saved before, right?
    All right two months later a Christian school went out to school camp.( This group was linked to the other. Both KJVO,IFB, kinda weird groups.)
    Well at this school camp 50 teens got saved and so did 4 teachers.
    This year this school went back to this camp and again 12 got saved.
    This church is proclaiming it is in the midst of the 3rd Great Awakening. hmm. I am kinda thinking something odd is going on. Are these people getting saved by force? Are they not being taught correct doctorine? Are they using fear to motivate? What is going on?
    Has anyone else noticed anything else in their IFB churches? These people are close to the Hyles group. I am greatly interested in what you think about this.

Matt

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some people can be easily manipulated by the charlatans. I have actually heard some of those bozos brag about how many came forward and how they can get so many to come forward. If you say the right words most anyone will come forward. It's not rocket science. Just the ways of Robert Tilton. The proof of salvation is disciples not noses.

Remember how many Jesus called and how many actually came to follow Him?

3. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I am in a Hyles church, and we are still waiting. Interestingly enough though, we are witnessing things that seem to be pointing to something being amiss. There are some late teens/early twenty-somethings that have been reached and that were originally unchurched. They are catching a 'fire' that I have never witnessed before, and I believe that it is starting to bring a revival fire to the old fogeys.

4. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

I am not seeing this is an increse in holiness, though. It seems as if they are getting so many professions because of want. I am worried that the Spirit is not involved in this.( Is this a proper area to worry about? Since Christians aren't to worry. Just wondering. ) Maybe these churches are wanting revival so fiercly that they overstep the Holy Spirit's work. I hold to the belief that only God can bring reival.
    I think the same thing about soulwinning it is so dangerous to take it upon ourself to be the mediator for someone's salvation. I have heard it preach that the only way the world will get saved will be if you go out soulwinning. But if you don't get results your in sin. When salvation is so obviously the Holy Spirit's work and without him working you are unable to get saved.
    By the way who is Robert Tilton?

Matt

5. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

It had better be taught that the Lord only saves you ONCE.

We are to make our calling and election SURE.

I know some try to put so much pressure on the congregation to "get more saved", that they will even look the people in the face and decalre, (as if they have some special discernment :rolleyes: ), "You're not saved!"

I do know many have been deceived into only thinking they're saved because the adversary, the devil is quite deceiving, that is why REPENTENCE MUST be preached!

The kind of repentence that is wrought out of godly sorrow, that NOT to be repented of.

And I would definitely be careful of what I said about other churches and moves of God, especially since i am not there to witness, nor am I, or anyone other than Godf the judge of another's salvation.

II Cor 7 [​IMG]

6. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Yep, agree. Since they are church members, teachers, etc. to start with, they must be preaching you can lose your salvation, or maybe even that it wasn't real in the first place. I wonder if they are also rebaptizing the 'new converts', or will they consider that part to be more permanent. amazinglove92, it does sound as if something fishy is going on.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There are two things that make me put on my "distrusting" hat: When a politician quotes Lincoln, and when a church claims "a new Great Awakening".

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor of Word of Faith Church in Farmers Branch (suburban Dallas). Radical charismatic, name-it-and-claim-it faith healer who is about as far out as you get. He is the poster child for the pastor-from-hell . . .

9. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Something is radically wrong with this picture! Personally, I believe that you should stay away from those people lest you get infected.

10. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Thanks for the warning!
    Willie I don't believe they are teaching one can lose his salvation. I think most of them think that they where never really saved. Which is odd when the choir, pastors, deacons, all "realize" they are not saved.
    Do you think the problem is lack of sound doctorine being taught? or real realationship with Christ? or both? I am not involved with these kind of churches. My dad is a pastor who is in the same Bible Baptist Fellowship as these guys.

Matt

11. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I don't know, amazinglove92. It is hard to say if the incidents can be attributed to the preaching/teaching of unsound doctrine, or if it is simply a massive reconciliation on the part of the church. There have been situations of church-wide revivals; and these can start with a simple "Brother (or Sister), Forgive me for _____ (you fill in the blank). They have usually followed an especially poignant sermon or service where the working of the Holy Spirit was clearly evident (i.e., the last person in the church that you would expect to step forward or reach out in reconciliation). In these cases it has been reconciliation, or revival. If the church is proclaiming that the individuals are getting saved because they were never saved, then I would definately question the doctrine being taught. Sounds like something may have creeped in from the outside, possibly even from another denomination.

God bless.

12. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

Whenever I come to this board I ALWAYS learn something new. I'm an old Southern Baptist and don't know alot about other Baptist faiths, but tell me this if you don't mind..... what is a Hyles group???

13. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Our pastor is a graduate of Hyles-Anderson College, a Bible College in Crown Point, IN. He basically is an adherent to the philosopy of the college. Jack Hyles was SBC, then struck out on his own and started an independent church, and subsequently, the college associated with the church. As is the case with most pastors that start and grow a large church (in Hyles case, First Baptist of Hammond, IN), he was subject to much scrutiny and controversy. Just run a web search on Jack Hyles and you will come up with volumes of information (both critical and praising). I will not exalt any man, dead or alive. I am Berean in my bible study. The same can be said of reading information regarding someone that has been influential in the lives of many Christians, and especially Baptists. To date, I have not encountered any problems with my Pastor's stance. There are some points that we disagree on; however, it does not adversely impact my fellowship within the church. This is probably true of the majority of our members; however, I have noticed that the congregation is moving more toward the Pastor's philosophy, and we are the better for it.

God bless.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jack Hyles pastored FBC Hammond, Indiana. He used a method of busing and 1-2-3-pray-after-me soul winning that was instrumental in building a large church. Thousands were impressed with his pragmatism and methods and sought to immitate him.

He was influential through conferences, schools and Sword of the Lord. His theology was lunacy (he taught unless you were saved using the KJV, you were not really saved). His methods were such that most estimate only 15% of his church were born again.

He died (many believe he went to heaven) a few years back and his cronies and sycophants still believe him the greatest pastor/preacher - better than Paul. There are "hylsish" churches (ifb) but most historic ifb repudiate him as a man and his methodology.

15. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Can't recall if it was a Barna survey, or some other source that I read, but it seems that just a few years ago, something came out revealing only about 25% of any church was born again (or on their way to heaven). I checked the Barna web site and couldn't find the information. If I recall the statistics correctly, this even included Mormons, Catholics, etc. Who are the 'most' that estimated only 15% of his church was born again, and is the study available for perusal? I am not a 'Hyles' man (never heard him preach, nor attended any event at FBC Hammond), but I am interested in this type of information considering that my Pastor is a graduate of the college.