1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by brackinja, May 20, 2008.

1. brackinja

brackinja New Member

Is there anyone who is currently taking classes through Southern Seminary? If so, e-mail me at [email protected]

2. Ehud

Ehud New Member

The More Education -- The Less They Believe!

You might want to check this link out before you decide on higher education, especially at SBTS.

http://www.tbaptist.com/aab/apostasyatsbts.htm

The More Education -- The Less They Believe!

I KNOW GOD REALLY EXIST.
    Diploma Students-------------------------------------------100%
    1st Year M.Div.---------------------------------74%
    Final Yr. M.Div.--------------------------65%

I BELIEVE JESUS WAS BORN OF A VIRGIN.

Diploma Students------------------------------------------96%
    1st Yr. M.Div.------------------------------66%
    Final Yr. M.Div.--------------33%

Ehud

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That survey was from a different time. The SBTS of today is nothing like that.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What a horribly unfoudned and inflamatory post. Seriously, check your sources and dates before posting something like.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The source is good. It is not unfounded or imflammatory. It simply refers to a previous time. Al Mohler has done a good job in cleaning up the seminary from the unbelief that pervaded it in an earlier time when the SBC was headed into apostasy at many levels.

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

:laugh: Wow....that got me laughing today! As a graduate of the college at Southern my jaw dropped when I read this post. But then I clicked on the link and saw that it was from 1981 my only thought was DUH!

While not a student at the seminary, I did seriously look into it after graduating Boyce a couple of years ago. I also knew some students pretty well, and of course lived and worked on the campus for 5 years!!! It has a legendary library!!

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Ehud Response

Dear Bro. Ehud,

Let me welcome you to the BB if no one has not!!!!!:wavey:

Did you just make a terrible mistake? or was there another reason to post such slander and out-of-date document critical of one of the biggest and best seminaries in the world?

I am not angry. I would just like a follow up thought.

"That is all!"

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has been pointed out, Ehud's source was from 1981 and before. It does not reflect the current situation at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary which, at this time, is Calvinistic and very conservative. I would also point out that Ehud is in Australia so he may not have up to date information on Southern Seminary. That is no excuse, after all just a few clicks of a mouse and one can find out more about Southern Seminary then they will ever need to know. However, if one does not bother to do their own research...

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    However this is not the board for that discussion. I did not graduate from Southern Seminary. However I know what Southern Seminary is today. What it was over twenty years ago is not an issue. Today Southern is one of the top conservative and evangelical schools in the world.

==Not true. I have known plenty of very well educated people who believed and had very strong faith in the LORD Jesus and I have know plenty of ignorant people who had no faith at all. Education does not destroy faith and ignorance does not build it.

==You need to stick with the Biblical ways and not man's old fashion ways.

If you wish to throw stones at Southern Seminary please use more up to date information. Thank you.

#9 Martin, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually I'd suggest that anyone using a poor survey from 1981 in 2008 as representative of the current situation is discreditting themselves.

And welcome to the anti-intellectual world of modern fundamentalism. I think Carl FH Henry wrote a great book about this several years ago. :D

I completely disagree with that statement too, we have plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Maybe you consider moving your membership to another, more palatable board. ;)

#10 preachinjesus, May 21, 2008
  11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==This is not a Bible forum, this is a seminary/college forum. Back to the OP, if you wish to throw stones at Southern Seminary please use more up to date information. Information that is over 20 years old can hardly be taken seriously since things that Southern have changed so much during that 20+ years. So please find information about the current graduates of Southern Seminary. The numbers, I assure you, will be much different.

#11 Martin, May 21, 2008
  12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Martin, some folks don't want to admit that they are wrong. You are casting pearls to the swine by debating this with someone who has no real knowledge of Southern Seminary except something from twenty years ago. You and I already know, and most people with any reasonable research ability would find, that Southern is as conservative as you can get with in SBC circles.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ehud, if you're going to attack God's Word, couldn't you at least do it in the versions forum?

And all versions, including the KJV, warn against bearing false witness. You've been shown that this survey is from another era and is no longer applicable.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

I agree with sag38's post....except I wouldn't have included the words "of Southern Seminary."

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Didn't a recent survey reveal that only 30% of recent Southern graduates were Calvinists?

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure, I know that it is a growing number. Which is to be expected since it seems that most of their faculty is Calvinistic.

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Moderator Warning: This is not a Bible Versions and Translations Forum. Any further KJVO debate in the this thread will cause it to be closed.

Bible-boy,
    Forum Moderator

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is to be expected that 70% graduate unconvinced of a characteristic belief of the seminary???

19. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.baptistcourier.com/2158.article

The stats are not just for SBTS. 30% of recent graduates of SBC seminaries serving as pastors identified themselves as Calvinists. There are five other seminaries in play.

Plus this is 5-Point Calvinism, not counting 4-pointers. There are a good number of 4-point Calvinists around.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Southern seminarian blogged that:

27% of graduates from Southern Baptist seminaries[Thank you Stefan] identified as 5-point Calvinists in a Lifeway survey.

His experience is that a majority of SBTS students are not 5-point Calvinists.

None of the deans are 5-pointers.