1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists - Is your Director of Missions MIA or DOA or AOK?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Hardsheller, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a Southern Baptist pastor I have served churches in five different Associations over the last 23 years.

I have had 2 Outstanding Directors of Missions, two average DOM's and 2 that I wanted to shoot.

How proactive should a DOM be when it comes to interaction with the churches:

1. When they are pastorless.
    2. When they are fighting.
    3. When they are plateaued.
    4. When they are declining.
    5. When they are growing.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have had the opportunity now to work with 3 DOM's. The first 2 I worked with were pretty useless, they were both older and it seemed as if all they were doing was bidding their time until retirement. It was rather sad.

The DOM I am presently working with has been excellent. He is very interested in getting to know the pastors and the churches and he is willing to help in any way that he can.

My personal opinion is that in all 5 cases you mentioned the DOM should be involved and be equipping and helping the church and pastor in any way that he can. Now that doesn't mean that he tries to lead the church or in any way take leadership away from the pastor. But he can be an invalueable resource for the church and pastor and leaders in all of those 5 situations.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I first started pastoring my DOM was Kenneth King out of New Braunfles, Texas. Ken was not interested in the politics but in helping young men to pastor well and live godly lives. He was a constant source of encouragement and comfort when I needed it and even when i didn't need it so much. He was my mentor. He did so many things to get me involved in the association and encourage me. At the time I was pastoring a very small church. Often pastors of small churches get little recognition. But not with Ken. There were pastors from other associations wanting to pastor in that association because of him. Often he came to hear me preach and help me to be a better preacher. Ken had excellent experience and I could count on him to give me excellent advice. He motivated me to work harder and live to a high standard. All of the associational meetings were well attended. We had an evangelism conference yearly put on by the association. It was very well attended. The annual meetings were packed. It was a privilege I wil never forget. Excellent leadership can mean a huge diference in the life of a pastor, a church , an association and the life of the convention.