1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spanish Reina Valera Question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor_Bob, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received this on a preacher's email list today. How would you answer this man's question?

2. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

http://www.biblebelievers.com/mcardle_which-spanish.html

Pastor_Bob,
    I hope this site will be helpful or at least send the person in the direction he is hoping to find. I use a bilingual (side by side) KJV and Reina Valera 1960. I was told to always use the RV1960, but perhaps that is because I am not a native speaker. Over the last few years, I have taken an interest as well in just what is the difference between the Spanish versions.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not recommend the above site, which also believes that American Bibles that spell Saviour as Savior are not to be trusted.

George Calvin has written The History of the Reina-Valera 1960 Spanish Bible, in which he says:

More information about the controversy is available at:

http://literaturabautista.com/english.htm

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pamela,

The author of your article leaves out alot of information. I would have to ask why?

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pastor Bob,

How is your mission?

The Reina Valera (1960) is the Spanish edition that most closely follows the KJV (it does follow the nkjv more closely & it is 'missing words' in places).

Most Spanish speakers consider the Reina & Valera (1960) to sound very much like KJ's English. It has been a long time since I have done any comparative work with the KJV and the Reina & Valera. Personally, I like the older Reina & Valera (I only know it as antiguo & I think it is the 1602). But, the Reina & Valera Antigua (RVA) is VERY difficult for most native Spanish speakers (unless they grew up in a PROTESTANT church). I love the way it reads beside the KJV, but it is DIFFICULT for me to translate it into Spanish.

Unlike KJ's English, the Reina & Valera Bible did not drive Spanish in a linguistic direction. So, if you use a Reina & Valera older than 1960 you will need a pastor that can translate for the people (they do exist). Or, you can use the 1960 with a parallel KJV and make the corrections (where necessary) to the 1960 text(*).

Personally, the latter choice would be the easiest to control (it may not sound good to 'English' ears, but it will be alot easier to find someone with solid doctrinal skills that can use the 1960 text than to find someone that can translate from the antigua into modern Spanish).

(*) McArdle (referenced above) did give a strong argument for the corruption of the text. But, there are at least two strong problems with his argument. One, from a Spanish standpoint, it is difficult to mimic the KJ's English in any Spanish Bible. Spanish tho't and English tho't are just very different. And textbook Spanish is not spoken anywhere. 'Upper class,' 'educated' Spanish can sound alot like the Reina & Valera 1960. Two, as rsr pointed out, the 1960 is considered orthodox with the TR.

6. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

El Guero,
    Even though I have had an interest in this topic for a few years now, this is the only site I have even bookmarked on the subject, and then, I have been able to look at it some, but not much. I just haven't had the time, so I'm sorry I can't answer your question.
    Thanks rsr for the added info. I will look into it....eventually. [​IMG]

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your help. I believe I have enough to give some helpful advice to this man, or at least steer him in the right direction.

Coincidentally, rsr, I went to college with Calvin George. After reading your post, I remembered a conversation I had with another missionary in Pachuca, Mexico about the book you referenced.

El_Guero, thank you for asking. I still have the same burden. Nothing promising at this time. The ministry at this point is merely passing out Hispanic gospel tracts and witnessing in English to those who understand. Not much fruit so far, but we trust that God's Word will not return to Him void.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Calvin George grew up in the country to which I am a missionary. (I am currently stateside though.)

I have yet to read his book, but it sounds interesting.

I have been looking for information on the Bibla de Las Americas. Is it an actual translation or just a Spanish edition of the NASB?

9. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

¡Gracias, por esta información!

Tuvé que saberla.

eaglewing

10. IFB Mole

IFB Mole New Member

If you are bi-lingual in both Spanish and English the RV1960 is a more accurate translation than the KJV because Spanish is simply "closer" lingusticaly to Greek than is English which has Germanic roots.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a separate translation, although basically from the same underlying texts: Nestle-Aland 26th edition for the NASB, 27th edition for La Biblia de las Américas, and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia for both Old Testaments.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pastor_Bob

God blessed me with the honor of leading an entire family to Christ 2 or so months ago (In Spanish). Talk about brain stress. Unfortunately, the church I was helping did not have a Spanish pastor to pass them on to.

Still praying for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.