1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speaking in Tongues-Baptist Style

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Suzie MC, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Suzie MC

Suzie MC New Member

Hi All,
    I'm a newbie here, this is my first post :D I'm a bit confused about the Baptist interpretation of speaking in tongues. A friend and I recently discussed the topic and I realized I needed to be more well informed! Some of my prior understandings may have been wrong. I'm open to what you have to say?
    Thanks, Suzie MC [​IMG]

2. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Well first off, welcome Suzi MC. You may or may not get quite a few answers on this subject. My answer, get a KJB, a strong's concordance and look up, "tongues," "spirital gifts," "signs and wonders," this is a good start. Here is a link that has some verse references. http://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/tongues.html

Me, I believe speaking in tongues was a sign for the unbelieving Jew. Tongues was a languages like English, Russian, Greek, Latin, etc. They relayed God's word to the nation of Israel(Jews) that they would believe on Jesus. Some did believe the sign, but saddly some did not and those people crucified Jesus.

Today we no longer need a sign because we have the Bible to hear God's word and have faith in it to trust Jesus as our saviour.

Hoped this help a little bit.

HB

3. atestring

atestring New Member

a Baptist view of anything will have as many opinions as carter has pills.
    Ther are not only lots of Baptist but there are many types of Baptist.
    There are fundamental, conservative, liberal, Southern and not so Southern. The Priesthood of the believer concept leaves interpretation to each individual person.

On speaking in tongues there are those that are extremely hostile to anything that has to do with the subject.
    Then there are Baptist Churches that allow it.
    In 1998 in Georgia a resolution came up for vote to disassociate any churches in the GEorgia Baptist convention ( A southern Baptist State convention) for involvement in charismatic Practices as well as those that allow Homosexuals. Now I personally do not understand the proposed resolution because i fail to see the connection between charismatics and homosexuals. The result was that the proposed resolution failed to get the majority vote needed to pass. On a national level the Southern Baptist Convention has been ask to deal with this issue and all resolutions pro or con have failed to get past the resolution committee.
    A study was done in recent years showing that 20% of all southern Baptist have charismatic leanings.
    There have been 2 churches in Florida and one Church in Missouri that have been expelled from their local Southern Baptist associations.
    Most pastors that will talk about the issue have an attitued that speaking in tongues may be Bible but it's not Baptist, which is a dangerous way to determine truth, but it is an atttitude that exist.
    Talk to a SBC missionary (but vow to hold the conversation in confidence) and you will find that speaking in tongues is common among Baptist SBC and others on the mission field.

4. Suzie MC

Suzie MC New Member

Thanks for the welcome Homebound and the input and URL as well, I appreciate it. Thanks for your input too atestring.
    God bless,
    Suzie [​IMG]

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suzie, perhaps you could tell us what your opinions/teachings/thoughts on the subject are?

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

HomeBound is on the right track.

Tongues are not mentioned a great deal in the
    Bible - in the N.T.
    1. Three times in Acts (2, 10, & 19)
    2. Two chapters in 1 Corinthians (12 & 14)

Study the rules for use of tongues in the church - you'll find that if applied by Paul's rules - you would eliminate 90 - 95% of todays use of tongues.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's my problem right there, Dan.

Tongues, as is commonly practiced in the church today, is done completely out of line with scripture.

I do believe that tongues is for today but until we reign in it's use to Biblical standard, I think it's a moot point.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Hi, Suzie MC, you will get every conceivable opinion on this subject. Some are quite articulate, pro and con. The ability to speak in tongues was the ability to speak a language that had previously been unlearned and in one instant that person could suddenly speak a new language. Yet, when it is claimed for today this is never the case. Oh, you will hear anecdotes that say something like, "I once knew a guy who knew a guy who..." You will never have someone say to you that, "Yes, I have the ability to speak a language that I did not learn". The same will be true of all gifts and especially true of the so called charismatic gifts. Please, examine this topic for yourself and just ask yourself this simple question. Is this being done the way the Bible says it is done? Don't take anyone's word for it and don't accept someone telling you that this is sort of they way it was if you look at it from such and such a point of view and this or that verse COULD mean this or that. Read what it says and take it in context, listen to other people but TRUST the Holy Spirit inside you.

9. atestring

atestring New Member

\

Also Mark 16:17

10. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Actually, a very good study would be to look up the words tongue and tongues in a concordance and see how it is used throughout the Bible to get a good understanding of how to read it in context. They are used 165 in the KJV and 141 times in the NASB, other versions would be similar. Sometimes it is the organ in your mouth, sometimes it is a synonym for language. It is not really all that complicated, it is just made that way by folks who don't understand.

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suzie, here is a link to a discussion of tongues - specifically debunking the idea that speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit. Thought you might find it interesting.

Is tongues the evidence...

12. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. - 1 Corinthians 13:8-10

"that which is perfect" (Gr. teleios)
    1) brought to its end, finished
    2) wanting nothing necessary to completeness
    3) perfect
    4) that which is perfect
    a) consummate human integrity and virtue
    b) of men
    1) full grown, adult, of full age, mature

"That which is perfect" may mean, not a specific event, but a time when the church would become mature. It could also refer to the kingdom of God that was to soon be established. However, both of these interpretations could be wrong.

For what it's worth...

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mike McK and I agree again :eek: . I am not a cessationist but I have had considerable experience of the charismatic movement and I strongly believe that tongues and many other charismatic practices within the charismatic/ Pentecostal 'stream' are not displayed or shown forth on a manner that is in accordance with the Scriptures. For further reading I would recommend "Keep in Step with the Spirit" by J I Packer and "Showing the Spirit" by D A Carson.

Yours in Christ

Matt

14. martyr

martyr New Member

Another good book by a non baptist would be Charismatic Chaos by John MacArthur Jr. I'm also curious to know why I've met dozens of southern baptist missionaries, and none have mentioned to me being able to speak in tongues(without training).

15. Suzie MC

Suzie MC New Member

Thank you Martyr for replying to my question. I no longer use these boards, being pretty much blasted out of the water by someone after my first attempts at posting (see my fall from grace on the 'Baptism by Jesus' topic) [​IMG] Ironically, that same person who lambasted me for my beliefs on that topic (I actually posted in the wrong place there, I meant to post under Baptism of the Holy Ghost) encouraged me in this topic we're in now, telling me to open up to what God tells me and go with what he tells me or something of that nature. Obviously that only goes if God tells me something that person agrees with. [​IMG] Anyway, I no longer use this board in search for help from other Christians, I only saw the topic because it came up as I signed off my email acct with baptistmail. If you would care to write me in the future about Biblical matters, please email me.
    Thanks and God bless,
    Suzie

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, Suzie, that you were hurt from that experience here. I'm also sorry that just about every one of us who posts here has had that same experience.

I'm not sorry, however, that you had that experience. In my time, I've found that having people do that to me forced me to study a little harder, look at things a little closer, and sometimes, realize that perhaps I was mistaken (not saying you were in either of the cases that you missed).

I don't think it was me you were referring to, but I would like to go ahead and encourage you to continue using this board for study. If anything, it'll give you practice in standing up for the beliefs that you have and know in your being are correct.

17. Suzie MC

Suzie MC New Member

Hi Don, [​IMG]
    Thank you. I actually do stand up for my beliefs, somehow it's easier to do it with atheists and agnostics, it just hurts more to be slammed by a brother or sister in Christ. [​IMG] No, it wasn't you who did it and I don't think he really meant to be nasty or closeminded. Because my only posted question concerned the Baptist understanding of speaking in tongues....and then because I also posted a reply to somone's question of baptism of the Holy Ghost that he interpreted as Pentecostal doctrine, he misconstrued my intentions on the board as trying to hoist other doctrine here, from what he said. It is true that some Baptists may disagree with some of my convictions, but I would hope we as Christians could disagree in a civil and kind and more helpful way, as a couple of other people did with me and I had no problem with that. It's also true that I was shown these teachings by a Baptist pastor whom I highly respect and regard as one of the wisest and most godly persons this side of Heaven. He remains to this day a dear friend. Here are the posts I received that led to my departure from the studies of this forum: :confused:
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, nominees for this years fiction of the year award go to Suzie MC...There is just so much of what you said that flies in the face of reality that I don't even want to start. So I won't." - and - :(
    "Suzie, I am the smart-alec. I was not trying to be mean, just a smart-alec. You stated that you were a Baptist and a Southern Baptist at that and didn't understand the Baptist interpretation of tongues and then proceeded to give a very clear Pentacostal/Charismatic understanding of the ministry of the Holy Ghost and stated that that was what you were taught in a Southern Baptist church. I took your very first post very seriously and took the time and effort to respond in a thoughtful and helpful manner. After your next to last post about the Baptism of Jesus I came to think that your weren't as uninformed as I at first believed. Your position is so diametrically opposed to Baptist doctrine that I found it difficult to believe that your questions were legitimate. It seemed as though you really did understand Baptist doctrine on this subject but that you disagreed and were merely wanting to assert your position. Again, I was not trying to be mean, rotten, vicious, and nasty, just a bit of a smart-alec."
    So see Don, frankly it seems a waste of time to argue ad nauseum with people like that and who has the time? [​IMG] I'm not saying that person in particular is an idiot but in regards to arguing and fighting in general, I love this quote:
    "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience." ;)
    Suzie