1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Special" Music???

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Rev. G, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Ruth has said so many things that I feel and am not able to express.
    Thank you Ruth

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Sunday School has nothing to do with corporate worship. For that matter, neither does "discipleship hour" (nor the Baptist Board). By the way, this is not intended to be a "rip" against anybody. Just stating a fact.

However, one of the primary tasks of the Church is to "make disciples," so then "discipleship hour" / Sunday School / etc. are legitimate times of meeting.

Perhaps another question could be posed (and has already been touched upon) - What does belong in our corporate worship?

Rev. G

3. Music Man

Music Man New Member

Ditto what both Rev. G. and Ruth said. It is nice to know there is someone out there who thinks the same way I do!

But of course I do! Here it is:
    1. Learn the tunes.
    2. Sing them as printed.
    3. Sing all. If it is a cross to you, take it up and you will find it a blessing.
    4. Sing lustily and with a good courage.
    5. Sing modestly. Do not bawl.
    6. Sing in time. Do not run before or stay behind.
    7. Above all, sing spiritually. Have an eye to God in every word you sing. Aim at pleasing Him more than yourself or any other creature. In order to do this, attend strictly to the sense of what you sing, and see that your heart is not carried away with the sound, but offered to God continually.
    (from John Wesley's Rules for Methodist Singers, 1779).

SDG,
    Chris [​IMG]

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad I'm not a Methodist! ;) :D

5. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

I also find church vocal "performances" distasteful. I also find it distasteful to give them, which is why I've always refused to sing solos at church. I find that, after long musical training, I cannot sing for a group without it being a performance. Part of that is because of the amount of Christian music I sang throughout school - it's lost some meaning for me. I can't sing in a church choir anymore, either.

However, I'm not opposed to soloists or small groups singing (as opposed to, or in addition to, congregational singing or the larger choir's anthem) as part of a worship service. I think the use of the phrase "special music" is somewhat misused (or perhaps misinterpreted). Sure, it can be inferred to mean "more special than" the other music, but I think it's more often intended to mean distinct, different, or even additional.

I can't, right now, think of a better way to describe an additional music selection by an individual or small group that doesn't sound very clinical than by calling it "special music."

I can envision a bulletin layout that would not have any sort of title attached to it, but would just place the name of the piece in the center, with the name of the individual or group giving it underneath.

6. Ruth

Ruth Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Rosa, Music Man, and Rev. G for the kind remarks. I do try to say what is on my heart, but sometimes what I am thinking does not translate well into written language!

stubbornkelly, I went through a period of time where I felt exactly as you do. Only after some serious thought did I realize that the only one who was being deprived of anything since I refused to sing was God. He gave me this voice - and it finally dawned on me that it was my obligation to Him to use it in his work. After I realized this, I found much to my surprise that everything I sang seemed fresh and wonderful again; maybe it was because I was doing it for the right reason this time.

After reviewing what I have posted previously, I feel like I should clarify one thing. I have made it sound as though I never "get through" to anyone with a song. Well, I admit it doesn't happen very often, but there are those wonderful times when it DOES! And I had one of those times a few weeks ago - we gained a new young sister in Christ, and she told me specifically that my song had reached her. Nothing can replace the feeling you get when God has used you in that way. I can keep going a long time on something like that.

Ruth

7. Brett Valentine

Whenever I get a chance to perform "special" music, it is my goal to perform it to the best of my ability, to be yielded to the Spirit. I try to reach the listeners, I try to puor al of my heart into it and offer it up to God as well. Not for my glory, but for His.

Depending upon the church, it is an opportunity for the congregation to share as opposed to "only the professionals."

Brett