1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spinoff from the "Wilkinson" thread...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

The only goof is the one making the claim.

The word of God is not limited to your limited thinking, Brother, nor mine!

I get the love of money is to get greedy gain, you omit this possibility and demand the word to fit what you think.

It should be the other way around; the thinking should fit the word.

If this "freedom reading" philosophy prevents this spiritual reckoning as "the love of money os THE root of all evil" then, LORD! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE protect me from myself!

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, let's look at your philisophy on this.

Did Klebold & Harris shoot up their school & kill themselves for greedy gain? How about the Virginia Tech shooter? How about the diaper-head who blew himself up in Afghanistan yesterday?

Did they commit evils or not?

The lova greedy gain is A root of ALL KINDS of evil. I cited murders since they grab the most headlines. But how about sexual aberrants? Idolators?

Again, I could make an almost-endless lista evil acts not done for evil gain. But I believe I've made my point with this very short list.

And once more...IF YOU'RE NOT KJVO, WHAT OTHER VERSION(S) WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

#62 robycop3, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  3. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

"Did they commit evils or not?"

They committed sins.

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, in your mind sin is not evil?

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While 'evil' has several definitions, the one that applies here is 'wickedness'. Now, show me a sin that's not wickedness.

And while you're at it, please answer TC's question.

6. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

I did not say that. I was pointing out that the terms are not equal.

7. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Again you substitute words to no purpose. Sure, wickedness is evil but not all evils are wickedness. What makes you think that wickedness is the correct definition to apply in this case?

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek word 'kakos' is the word rendered 'evil' in this verse in English.

9. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Yes, it helped them gain what they thoguht of their belief and they acted upon it.
    Greedy gain
    All greedy gain

Thank you for supplying examples of greedy gain, everyone of them. Whether for headlines, 72 virgins, or any other fame, fame is associated in the deviate's mind with popularity and that action which is coherently evil and is for greedy gain.

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Roby, Brother, are you really in touch with all your faculties here?

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally Posted by robycop3 [​IMG]
    Alright, let's look at your philisophy on this.

Did Klebold & Harris shoot up their school & kill themselves for greedy gain?

harold Garvey:Yes, it helped them gain what they thoguht of their belief and they acted upon it.

No, Harold...it was insanity.
    Quote:
    How about the Virginia Tech shooter?
    Harold Garvey:Greedy gain

How silly is this? There's no greedy gain in killing a buncha innocent people, then yourself. That space cadet didn't think he was going to heaven, etc.
    Quote:
    How about the diaper-head who blew himself up in Afghanistan yesterday?
    All greedy gain

No, Harold. Only a CHRISTIAN gains when he dies.

Quote:
    Did they commit evils or not?

The lova greedy gain is A root of ALL KINDS of evil. I cited murders since they grab the most headlines. But how about sexual aberrants? Idolators?

Again, I could make an almost-endless lista evil acts not done for evil gain. But I believe I've made my point with this very short list.

And once more...IF YOU'RE NOT KJVO, WHAT OTHER VERSION(S) WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?
    Thank you for supplying examples of greedy gain, everyone of them. Whether for headlines, 72 virgins, or any other fame, fame is associated in the deviate's mind with popularity and that action which is coherently evil and is for greedy gain.

No, Harold. Your "greedy gain" mantra is an attempted excuse to cover a goof in the KJV. It simply ISN'T TRUE.

AND AGAIN, YOU FAILED TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, "IF YOU'RE NOT KJVO, WHAT OTHER VERSION(S) WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?"
    [​IMG]

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YERP, quite so. Look it up for yourself.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Once again the devil is filled with glee over the division of God's saints. :tear:

This argument would not be occurring if not for the often repeated lifting out of context one verse of the Bible.

Common sense tell us that a pedophile does his evil deeds NOT out of a love of money. He does not do his evil deeds because he seeks monetary riches.

Taken in context, Paul is making it clear that men who pervert the gospel, drawing saints away from the doctrines of God, making money in the process, do so because of their love of money, and this is pure evil. This is the whole point of Paul. Taken in context, it makes perfect sense whether it's written as "a" root or "the" root.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one does a more in depth study of the word pas it will be found that this word has many nuances depending upon it semantic description.

A good lexicon or koine dictionary will show this description for panton (root: pas) in 1 Timothy 6:10.

It will have the following letters of descrption: agnpn

This stands for adjective genetive neuter plural no degree.

The "no degree" implies that it may be but is not necessarlity all inclusive.
    This usage is somewhat idiomatic to koine Greek.

Here is a good example of agnpn usage: Acts 1:1

Acts 1:1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach.​

Just on the surface, Luke did not include many things which Jesus did and/or taught when compared to the other gospels (the mystery parable of the wheat and the tares in Matthew 13 for example).​

Also John proclaimed that the world itself could not contain the books describing what Jesus did.​

Another
    Acts 9:32 And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda.​

Did Peter hit every degree of latitude/longitude of the region he was passing through? ​

Another:
    1 Corinthians 4:13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.​

Within the scope of defamation what does this mean?​

Another agnpn usage:
    1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.​

So are we now omniscient because we have been taught all things?​

Do you see the idiomatic usage here?​

There are many other agnpn example, but these will prove the point that 1 Timothy 6:10 is in all probability NOT teaching that money is the root of each and every evil but many evils.​

Other evils besides greed which motivate us besides and apart from greed: Power, fame, jealousy, revenge, envy, gluttony, sloth, sexual depravity... ad infinitum.

HankD​

#74 HankD, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  15. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

gain is defined as advantange, roby, advantage.

yes, I am "KJVO" by your accusations, but KJVO is a strawman developed to put your brethren down.

16. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

That is most assuredly debatable.

17. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Let the word of God out of your box of rationalization.

If anything, your limited view divides the brethren from the full truth of the love of maoney is also the love of greedy gain and advantage over a situation placing onesself on the throne of God.

Every example roby listed fits into that catagory of all evil.

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HG, you must have big ears as much as you like bunny trails.

And you just said you were NOT KJVO. Which are you, yea or nay?

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No HG, Paul was SPECIFIC. He said 'love of money", as the general context before V10 was about "those that would be rich". And while all KINDS of evil have been done for lova money, not ALL evil has been done for that end.

Actually, REBELLION AGAINST GOD, IGNORING HIM, is the roota all wickedness. While that INCLUDES lova money, such love is onlt PART of the root, not the whole thing.

Now, didja look up 1 Tim. 6:10 in the Greek as I suggested, and look up the meaning of 'kakos' in English?

20. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

You have not explained yourself clearly.

I assume that you intend to say that one of the definitions of gk: kakos is "wickedness" so therefore the meaning of the eng: "evil" in this verse should be understood as "wickedness". Is that correct?

A.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.