1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

State bill proposes Christianity be Missouri’s official religion

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by mioque, Mar 4, 2006.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Hi from Utah. It dont feel good. Trust me. [​IMG]

And the ACLU looses to the big bucks of the LDS church everytime. They cant do a thing about it.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Let's back up a minute: If a state established an official religion, it would indeed be a violation of Amendment I, thanks to Amendment XIV, which forbids any state from abridging rights granted federal citizens.</font>[/QUOTE]
    Read the words... is all I can tell you. The Mo state legislature is not "Congress". With or without the 14th Amendment, the meanings and differences between the two bodies still exist.

Further, there is absolute incongruence between the idea that the guarantees of the 14th coupled with the establishment clause would preclude Missouri doing what it is doing or involving itself in religion.

The establishment clause does not guarantee an absolute right to religious freedom. It simply prevents "Congress" from preferring any religion over another. The language is very, very specific. Though the 14th is more vague, it cannot be established that a state is denying any constitutionally guaranteed religious right unless you are arguing that the states are somehow denying such rights by forcing Congress to pass laws concerning religion.

This does point to the absolute error and folly of applying the US Constitution to the states though.
    John, The constitution was intentionally written in language that sovereign Americans could read.
    I could honestly care less what a judiciary intent on usurping the rights of states and individuals in the name of "good" did.

Words mean what they mean... and rights are still right even when liberals do all they can to confiscate them.
    I'm trying to figure out where I brought up the issue of public prayer in the school. </font>[/QUOTE]It is an example of the philosophical inconsistency of the way the establishment clause is being applied. It is OK to make laws that silence an establishment of religion but not OK to make laws that secure free speech rights to religious establishments... to include free speech on public property.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that I'm cynical or anything, but it looks like an election-year attempt to nail down some legislators for a public vote on a resolution that presents nothing of any substance.

As one of our legislators said, he voted for an intelligent design bill not because he favors it but because he knows a vote against would be portrayed as an "anti-God" vote come November.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    In addition, establishing a state religion would require a change of the Missouri constitution, not a resolution.

As to such resolutions ... in 1971 the Texas House of Representatives approved a resolution commending Albert Henry DeSalvo (believed to be the Boston Strangler) for his recognition by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts "for his noted activities and unconventional techniques involving population control and applied psychology."

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The PROTESTANT way of doing things is not to FORCE others to your point of view... thats the ROMAN CATHOLIC way of doing things... using force, using the state, using politics, using violence...

"It was soon noised through Wittenberg that Luther had returned and that he was to preach. The people flocked from all directions, and the church was filled to overflowing. Ascending the pulpit, he with great wisdom and gentleness instructed, exhorted, and reproved. Touching the course of some who had resorted to violent measures in abolishing the mass, he said:

"The mass is a bad thing; God is opposed to it; it ought to be abolished; and I would that throughout the whole world it were replaced by the supper of the gospel. But let no one be torn from it by force. We must leave the matter in God's hands. His word must act, and not we. And why so? you will ask. Because I do not hold men's hearts in my hand, as the potter holds the clay. We have a right to speak: we have not the right to act. Let us preach; the rest belongs unto God. Were I to employ force, what should I gain? Grimace, formality, apings, human ordinances, and hypocrisy. . . . But there would be no sincerity of heart, nor faith, nor charity. Where these three are wanting, all is wanting, and I would not give a pear stalk for such a result. . . . God does more by His word alone than you and I and all the world by our united strength. God lays hold upon the heart; and when the heart is taken, all is won. . . .

"I will preach, discuss, and write; but I will constrain none, for faith is a voluntary act. See what I have done. I stood up against the pope, indulgences, and papists, but without violence or tumult. I put forward God's word; I preached and wrote--this was all I did. And yet while I was asleep, . . . the word that I had preached overthrew popery, so that neither prince nor emperor has done it so much harm. And yet I did nothing; the word alone did all. If I had wished to appeal to force, the whole of Germany would perhaps have been deluged with blood. But what would have been the result? Ruin and desolation both to body and soul. I therefore kept quiet, and left the word to run through the world alone."-- Ibid., b. 9, ch. 8.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

and let me tell you, in case you dont know this, you are going to see MORE AND MORE of these efforts to try to use politics and government to force people to "be Christians" and more specifically to keep the Sunday Sabbath holy. (which by the way is not the Sabbath of the Bible, the Sabbath is the 7th day but was changed by the Roman Catholic Church to Sunday)

"Without saying so explicitly, the Ten Commandments set the only order that will bring world peace... The next obligation that a citizen of God's world order owes is himself. "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," is a command for a personal benefit of each citizen..." Pat Robertson, The New World Order, p. 233,236 (NOTE: Pat Robertson is a SUNDAY Sabbath keeper)

The Catholics are going to clasp hands with the Protestants in using church and state to force others to their point of view and when this does not work on some, they are going to do just what the Catholic Church has done in the past, use persecution.

This is prophesied in the Bible. Otherwise known as the Mark of the Beast.

World Sabbath considered:
    "It is so dangerous when people are divided over language, ethnicity, and religion." Hakismana said Wednesday. His parents and six siblings were killed in Rwanda's 1994 civil war; and he subsequently devoted his life to promoting peace. "People need this World Sabbath, the whole world needs it." January 25, 2001 Detroit Free Press

The Pope is calling for GLOBAL Sunday observance. [-From the Brook, July-Sept 1998 Vol. 4, No. 3]

Rv:17:13: These have ONE MIND, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.

You may fancy that you are doing some sort of Christian duty to try to involve yourself in politics but the results are going to be horrid.

Jesus said "My Kingdom is not of this world"

Claudia

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Little do Protestants realize just where all of this is leading.... they have adopted the Sunday Sabbath from Roman Catholicism and are going to join with the Roman Catholics in persecuting those who refuse to go along with their demands.

"The Pope is of so great authority and power that he can modify, explain, or interpret, even divine laws....The Pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man but of God, and he acts as vicegerent of God upon earth with most ample power of binding and loosing the sheep."-From the Prompta Bibliotheca published in 1900 in Rome by the press of the propaganda.

"The pope has power to change times, to abrogate laws, and to dispense with all things, even the precepts of Christ."-Decretal de Translat, Episcop. Cap.

The pope's will stands for reason. He can dispense above the law, and of wrong make right by correcting and changing laws."-Pope Nicholas, Dis. 96.

It is within the inspired words "think to change times and laws" that we discover the "mark of the beast."

The following are all authentic quotations that will definitely answer our questions as to what the "mark of the beast" is. Notice them carefully.

"The Catholic Church for over one thousand years before the existence of a Protestant, by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday."-Catholic Mirror, Sept. 23, 1893.

You will notice in this information that the Church declares that it was not God Who changed the day from Saturday to Sunday but that they, the papists, were the ones who made this change. The Sabbath was officially changed by the Papacy at the Council of Laodicea on March 7, 364 A.D. That was 43 years after Constantine declared Sunday the day for Christians to honor as a rest day.

"Question.-Have you any other way of proving that the church has power to institute festivals of precept?"

"Answer.-Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her,-she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority."-Rev. Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism, p. 174.

This quotation emphasizes the fact that since the world accepts Sunday as a day of worship, this acknowledges her supremacy.

"I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to any one who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says, 'Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day.' The Catholic Church says, 'No; by my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day, and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.' and lo! The entire civilized world bows down in reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church. 'Priest Enright, C.S.S.R., Kansas City, Missouri.

8. standingfirminChrist

Sunday is not the Sabbath, but it is the first day of the week.

I will be worshipping on Sunday, as I feel that that is the best way to give Christ the firstfruits.

That is what He wants of every beleiver, the firstfruits.

And it is wrong for anyone to accuse any believer of being wrong in worshipping on Sunday.

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

...thus the big waves over the Ten Commandments lately, and the sudden concern over them being removed from public places.

Up till now they have claimed anyone who believes the 10 commandments still apply today are "legalistic" and "pharisees" but now suddenly everyone is SO concerned about this.

...They dont see that Satan is busy setting them up for HIS plans.

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member