1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Statues

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Moriah, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Walter, it is easy to obey God. Stop defending what is wrong. Do not look to those statues with reverence. Do not bow to those statues. Do not even worship with statues. It is the command of the Catholic religion to venerate the statues and bow to them. If you hate what is evil and cling to what is good, God will bless you, you would have more understanding.

You probably have read about the bronze snake that Moses made. When the people were in the desert, and if a snake bit them, all they had to do was look at the bronze snake that Moses made and they would live. Later, the Israelites burned incense to it. It was wrong that the Israelites burned incense to it, and that is why the bronze snake was destroyed. How do you ever get that the Catholics burning incense to the crucifix is okay to do and even good to do?

Why do you not understand, it is wrong to do, no matter whom the Catholics say they are really thinking of.
    The Catholics do error and sin in what they believe about the bread and wine, and many other beliefs they go against God.
    They are guilty of idolatry. Before Catholics sit down , they bow to the altar, even if there is not bread and wine there.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>Jehovah's Witnesses do not allow their members to read anti-J.W. material, not just discourage the reading of it.

When the Church was compiling the NT and the ecumenical creeds the Church did not allowed dissenting positions and burned them.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

No, I am not violating the Fourth Commandment. You violate when you judge me according to a Sabbath. Therefore, I advise you to stop. See Colossians 2:16.
    I worship everyday of the week, twenty-four hours a day.
    You are adding to God’s word when you say Jesus gave authority to bind and loose to the Catholic Church. Do you not care at all about not going to the left or the right of God’s word? Do you not care at all about adding and subtracting God’s word?

He is in my heart, and on my mind. I live by His Spirit in all that I say and do, and think and feel. My soul yearns for Him in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for Him.

You cling to material objects that have not the Spirit in them.

Not being a Catholic does not make me a Protestant. I have the same beliefs as taught by Jesus and the Apostles.
    After everything that I had said about pictures of Jesus not being the real Jesus, and that is was wrong to have them, why would you ever think that I thought a different denomination's picture would be okay?
    I claim no denomination. I belong to the body of Christ.

4. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The Catholic Church did not give us the Bible. The rapidly expanding Church in the first and second centuries used the books from the start, which determined the books as canon.
    I have heard that before about the Jehovah Witnesses not allowing their members to read anti Jehovah Witness material. When I was a Catholic, I was taught not to listen to any one outside of the Catholic Church, a powerful tool to keep their members where they want them.

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Do you go to church at all, or does Hebrews 10:25 mean nothing to you?
    :confused:
    Do you not believe Matthew 18:18?
    Isaiah 26:9. I still rather doubt that you think about Jesus 24/7. And if you speak the truth, I hope you don't drive or operate machinery.
    I never said or even implied that material objects have the Spirit in them. No, not even the Bible which some people reverence as though it were a sacramental.
    Oh, then you are a Catholic.
    Because you were very specific about the "Catholic Jesus" and the "Mormon Jesus" (your words). Yet you omitted the Protestant Jesus whose likeness is seen a lot more often in our culture, at least in the South where I live.
    Do you attend church? If so does it have a statement of faith?

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word image covers a lot of territory.

Many Baptist and other non-Catholic churches have crosses and flags at the front of the sanctuary. Orthodox churches have icons. I do not see a great deal of difference ... they are images. To me it all boils down to attitude ... what one believes about those images. The flag or the cross can be an idol for some.

7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    nailed it!!!

8. JarJo

JarJo New Member

Colossians 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

Exodus 20:8-10 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.

Moriah, it sounds like you are saying that you don't do what God said in Exodus 20:8-10, and that you don't follow it because the new testament passage somehow tells us not to do what God told us to do before? How can you make any sense of this?

9. JarJo

JarJo New Member

I guess I should explain how I understand the old testament law applies to Christians.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Christians are not under the mosaic law. Our rules of morality all come down to Jesus' commandments of love - that we love God and love our neighbor as ourselves. Many of the old testament laws still apply under these principles, but not all of them. The food laws don't fit in under these rules, but many of the other laws in the mosaic law do fit into this. Most of the ten commandments are based on love of God and neighbor, but the specific day in the 4th commandment does not follow directly from love of God, however the idea of setting time apart for God and allowing people rest from work do follow from the law of love. Similarly, the first commandment follows directly from the law of love of God in the sense that we must not have false gods, but the specific mention of graven images which made sense when God had no incarnate form to be represented by a work of art, no longer follows directly from the commandment to love God with all our heart mind and soul. In fact we have crucifixes and pictures of Jesus in our home to promote and increase our love of God.

So in Acts 15 the apostles were applying Jesus great commandments to the gentile converts and decided that they had to follow some rules but not others. This power to judge what rules follow directly from the law of love was part of the authority given to the apostles to guide and teach the church.

#49 JarJo, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, the answer above was given in answer to a lawyer who gave Jesus a question "Which is the greatest commandment of all." It is presumed that the lawyer was referring to the Ten Commandments. Thus all other commands such as those pertaining to diet and clothing etc. are moot points.

Second, These two commandments do summarize the Ten. The first one summarizes our relationship with God which is stated in the first four commands. The second commandments summarizes are relationship with man which is stated in the last six commands.

Third, all but one of these commands are mentioned in the NT. The one that is not commanded for believers to keep is "Thou shalt keep holy the Sabbath Day." This is because it was a command given specifically for the Jewish nation.

(Exo 31:16) Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    (Exo 31:17) It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

The keeping of the Sabbath Day was a covenantal sign between Jehovah and Israel and their generations forever. It was never meant for Gentile believers to keep.

11. JarJo

JarJo New Member

I'm not sure that the question was just about the 10 commandments. Jesus didn't respond with an answer from the 10 commandments, instead his answer was two of the commandments from the larger mosaic law:
    Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
    Leviticus 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

And Do you not set aside one day a week for the Lord? Is it okay to make someone work for 7 days a week? Most Christians follow at least some part of the 4th commandment.

Also how do you pick and choose which old testament laws to follow? There are rules about sexual morality, foreign aliens, tithing, charging interest, etc. etc., Not every one of them is mentioned in the new testament.

#51 JarJo, Jan 23, 2012
  12. billwald

billwald New Member

Ray VanderLaan teaches that the Ten Commandments are like chapter headings in books.

He teaches that in those days a king would make two copies of main points of a covenant and each party would take one copy and put it in his most sacred place. Moses took both copies because his most sacred place was the same as God's most sacred place on this earth.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Those two commands summarize all ten.
    To keep the Sabbath:
    Never travel more that a Sabbath Day's journey (5/8ths of a mile)
    Never cook on the Sabbath (make coffee or tea, or use anything that represents fuel--electricity or gas.) Don't make any food at all. All must be made the day before.
    Even going to a restaurant would be causing others to break the Sabbath.
    Don't go to any store of any kind, buy gas or do any shopping whatsoever.
    Don't turn on your computer or TV. That would be considered extra work and energy expended unnecessarily. Consider that they were not allowed to gather fuel then. A boy was stoned to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath.
    --Read the laws concerning keeping the Sabbath. I don't believe you could ever keep the Sabbath. It was a day given for the Jews.
    And the Sabbath is only on Saturday; not on Sunday. Sunday is the first day of the week. The Sabbath is on the seventh day of the week. Christ arose the first day of the week, Sunday. On the seventh day, Saturday, God rested. Are you sure you keep the Sabbath Day holy?
    I am not under the law; I am under grace.

14. JarJo

JarJo New Member

No, I don't keep the sabbath. But we keep aspects of it. We have 1 day a week that we set aside for the Lord and only do work on that day if it is necessary. It's not the same as the sabbath, but it takes some of the aspects of the sabbath that are relevant to love of God and neighbour.

I agree with you - we are not under the law, we are under grace. Our moral actions are guided by the law of love written on our hearts. This gives us freedom to apply the law of love to new situations without a thick list of laws that govern our every action.

Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."

It is under this freedom that some Christians have decided there is a place for images of Christ in their worship, in a way that interprets the commandments in light of the new reality of an incarnate God and in light of the fact that the images help us love God more instead of detracting from our love of God.

#54 JarJo, Jan 23, 2012
  15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Stop disobeying God right now. It is not so hard to understand. Do not judge anyone by a Sabbath day. Why are you judging me about a Sabbath day? It is not so hard for you to obey the Word of God. Why does His Word not make sense to you?

#55 Moriah, Jan 23, 2012
  16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

No way, you cannot do anything you feel like because we are under grace. Jesus is our Sabbath rest. The Sabbath day was a shadow of what was coming, Jesus Christ. How do you think disobeying by making statues and bowing to them is a command you no longer have to obey? We are even told in the New Testament to not make idols.

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Through Jesus, we do not have to do the righteous works of the law, righteous works are when the Jews were circumcised; or eating or drinking certain food; or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day; various ceremonial washings--external regulations.

18. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Catholic priests are commanded to bow to the crucifix, and other "Holy Images." All Catholics are commanded to venerate these objects. The Catholic priest even incenses these objects. Those things are against the commands of God.
    For other churches who just use a cross or a flag, I would say they could be tempting people who could idolize these images. Just do not make these images. It is simple.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

To set aside one day a week for rest is a principle derived from Genesis one, from Creation (some call it the Creation-sabbath). God rested on the seventh day. It is not a law, but an example for us to follow. We don't follow the Levitical law.
    We also set aside Sunday in remembrance of the Resurrection of Christ.

20. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Jesus is our Sabbath rest. It was against the law to work on the Sabbath. It was not against the law to do good on the Sabbath, it was against the law to sin on the Sabbath. We are saved by faith, and not of by works, do you not see how Jesus is our Sabbath rest, and how the Sabbath is a shadow of the things that were to come, Jesus Christ. However, we repent of our sins when we are saved; repenting of sins is not a work! Again, it was not unlawful to do good on the Sabbath, but it was wrong to sin on the Sabbath.
    When someone tells you that you are saved by faith and not by works, that means we are not saved by circumcision; or eating or drinking certain food; or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day; various ceremonial washings--external regulations, or by sin offerings. God nailed those things to the cross. We do not have to do those things to be saved. However, not all of the Old Testament laws were things we no longer have to obey.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.