1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stop Taxpayer Funding of ACLU

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bro. Curtis, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They don't, and the contention of the OP is entirely bogus.

In any civil case, if the plaintiff wins, the plaintiff can be awarded attorney's fees and court costs. If the ACLU is the attorney of record, then they're entitled to awarded attorney's fees just like any other attorney.

I have no particular love of the ACLU, but they're entitled to the same benefit as any other plaintiff.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sierra Club does the same thing so they can perpetually bring frivolous lawsuits against businesses that aren't environmentally sensitive. One way to show sensitivity of course is to contribute to the Sierra Club or like-minded environmental advocacy groups.

3. freedom's cause

freedom's cause New Member

let the ACLU get it's funds from their communist anti-God friends contact representatives to pass laws prohibiting large settlements to Aclu or any other radical group set a small limit on any settlement

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Okay, whatever, FC, once again, your statement has nothing to do with the topic.

I recap: In any civil case, if the plaintiff wins, the plaintiff can be awarded attorney's fees and court costs. If the ACLU is the attorney of record, then they're entitled to awarded attorney's fees just like any other attorney.

I have no particular love of the ACLU, but they're entitled to the same benefit as any other plaintiff.

5. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Oh is that how it's done? Next time I'll check with you first

6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes,if the ACLU is able to shop around and find judges sympathetic to their agenda, then they are legally entitled to REASONABLE attorney fees. Usually the amount awarded is far in excess of what it has cost the ACLU to bring suit. In fact, most of the attorneys who work for ACLU are doing so on a pro-bono basis. Most large lawfirms will donate their time to organizations like NAACP and ACLU.

The proposed legislation limiting lawyer fees may be a blunt instrument, but it is in response to what many see as abuse of the system.

7. Grimlock Prime

Grimlock Prime New Member

No, the point is that when ACLU lawyers litigate a case, sometimes they win. When they do win, the judge may - at his discretion - award attourney fees. Bro. Curtis would like to prevent the ACLU from receiving any fees when it wins a suit against US, state or local governments because such governments are supported by taxpayers. </font>[/QUOTE]I'd rather give my money to North Korea than the godless heathens of the ACLU. For ANY reason.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist