1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stop the pope madness!!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Brandon Tallman, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Brandon Tallman

Brandon Tallman New Member

In my area there are two popular Christian schools,Life Christian and Taccoma Baptist.There is also a handful of catholic schools.As I was dropping my son off at Life Christian I noticed the flags were at half mast.I called Life Christian and the lady that answered told me the flags were down to honor the pope.I believe there is such a thing as righteuos anger,and called Life Christian and left a message on their voice mail.I was ready to pull my son out of this school that he has been going to since he was five and put him in Tacoma Baptist.So I called Tacoma Baptist and asked them if their flags are at half mast in honor of the pope.I was told yes because he was a world leader.I got a phone call from Life Christian apologizing and essentially saying it was a mistake and the janitors were are correcting it.When I picked my son up the flags were up!As for Tacoma Baptist they remain defiant.What are we telling are children by such nonsense?How can a Baptist school do this?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It is the spirit of this age, brother. Maybe all roads do lead to Rome, except for that narrow one.

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

It is custom to honor any foreign leader who dies in office by lowering the flags. The pope was the leader of Vatican City, an independent country, and also an allied country to the U.S. I believe it wrong not to lower the flags for such a great world leader as he.

I'm just sorry that Life Christian was wrongly beaten into submission by obviously [personal attack deleted] who do not recognize the significance of lowering the flag.

That is where the shame belongs.

[ April 17, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Why do we need to be allied to Vatican City? Did they send their Army to save us from the British?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our government ordered the flags at half staff on federal buildings, schools, etc. Churches and Christian schools can voluntarily follow the Presidential position or not.

I would not fault any church or school or business (none REQUIRED) for following the Government's lead. Their call.

6. Bro. James Reed

James_Newman, we don't need to be allied with them. Would it be right to only ally ourselves with a government that can give us something in return?

The simple fact is that we have diplomatic relations with the Vatican just as we do with hundreds of other countries. Many are incapable of "scratching our backs", but we are allies nonetheless.

Mexico didn't send in troops to fight the British either, but I guarantee you that if Vicente Fox died tomorrow, that the flags would be ordered at half staff. Would you question why we lower the flags in that case? There is no difference.

The idea that we should only ally with, or even just honor, a person or country which can give us something in return is just selfish.

It's called having good relations and diplomacy. Just because a country is small does not mean we shouldn't befriend them.

Do only accept personal friends who are able to give you something return?

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lowering the national flag to half staff is a purely secular gesture and has nothing to do with religion.

The business where I work has a flagpole and, to be honest, I didn't even notice whether the flag was lowered. Those who constantly look for offenses are likely to find them.

9. Bro. James Reed

James_N, that really doesn't answer my question.

10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Flags waving--

Really moves many people to a heightened awareness of things patriotic and/or nationalistic.

To bow the flag of the U.S. to the Vatican is to recognize that which many "Christians" find repugnant.

To honor a "state religion" in this manner would seem to be somewhat of a violation of the separation of church and state.

On the brighter side--this is one of many signs that the daughters of Rome are returning to their mother--which is a sign of the end of time--are we ready?

Selah,

Bro. James

11. csmith

csmith New Member

I can't remember, but did we lower our flags for Arafat? He was a world leader. I agree with the OP--leave the flags all the way up.

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When did the American flag become the Baptist or Protestant flag?

The US has good relations with the Pope and the Vatican (in contrast to Arafat and the Palestinians). Flags of the US represent the country and not any particular religious group. Those who oppose general flag lowering because they are opposed to Catholicism are in violation of the idea of Separation of Church and State in the US (regardless of the position held by the Vatican on this issue).

Nobody is forcing folks to have their flag at half mast and those who don't feel compelled to follow the lead of the government are welcome to do so.

13. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

Why should we not honor a world leader? Was it not God who allowed him to be in the position he is in?

Let us go back to the Old Testament and talk about King David. Did he not have to excellent opportunities to kill King Saul and did he not have the right to, after all he was oppressing his own people and tried to kill David himself. David said he would not lay his hand on Gods anointed and did not King David honor Saul in his death. I see no reason why we should not pay last respects to a man who God had put into that position. It does not mean you have to agree with them but to be so critical to the point of pulling your children out of a school because you have a dispute that has no doctrinal basis what so ever.

I do not think any of us would want to have our lives ridiculed on our death bed.

I agree with RSR, if you want to find stuff to get outraged at you will have no problem finding something. Maybe pray and ask God if we should pay our last respects to a figure such as the Pope.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are over 1 billion Catholics. The pope's influence reaches over much of the world, including America.

I have no problem with flying the flag at half staff to show respect to a major world leader.

15. Soulman

Soulman New Member

posted by fatbacker: Why should we not honor a world leader? Was it not God who allowed him to be in the position he is in?

First of all...Nothing happens unless God allows it. It doesn't mean that we as christians should honor or defend this pagan in any way. He was responsible for propagating a false religion that sends millions to hell.

As far as our secular government honoring him, it just shows their blindness and that is sad.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has been laid to rest, but now we will have to endure
    "Who will be the next Pope!?" madness as the smoke pours out of the Vatican 24/7.

Maybe not.
    Yes, I know, turn the TV off (but I like Fox news).

But then comes the "Meet the new Pope!" madness.

Oh well.

HankD

17. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

Posted by Soulman:First of all...Nothing happens unless God allows it. It doesn't mean that we as christians should honor or defend this pagan in any way. He was responsible for propagating a false religion that sends millions to hell.

The Pope is not responsible for sending anyone to hell. Each man stands before a just God and gives an account of their life. There are plenty of people sitting in ohter churches that are biblically sound that are going to hell.

Let me clear up my wording. I did not mean honor in the sense of agreeing with the whole Catholic belief I ment pay last respects to a world leader. Paying last respects does not show any hatred toward God since we know He puts all into power.

No I do not agree with the Catholic doctrines.

18. Soulman

Soulman New Member

The man was nothing more than a false prophet whose job it was to deceive millions. Honor him with last respects if you wish.

Did he accomplish good? In a worldly sense yes. But at the cost of souls.

We will all stand before God and give account as you stated. It still doesn't change the office of this pagan.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now a new pope, who will continue the "hard line" [read: unwavering catholic doctrine] of JP2.

He is elderly (78+) and will not live long, and then when the shadow of JP2 is long past, a new, young progressive pope can come in and make drastic changes.

That is the overview by Bob. Reality? Little if any of the pagan nonsense and false teaching will differ in 5 years or 50.

Very sad for the 1,100,000,000 people in the world screaming "Viva Papa" to a man they don't even know.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Hmmmm;
    Perfectly ok to discuss one man but not another? Eh wot Dr. B?

Very sad the blatant partiality here.

In HIS service;
    Jim