1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured strapless dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac,
    How about that, you have a job identicial to Padre

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok Zaak, we get it. You vote "no" for strapless dresses. Thanks.

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Yes, of course women shouldn't dress provocatively. But good to see someone acknowledging that men have a responsibility to control themselves as well.

#83 evenifigoalone, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone said that either. But some seem to be on ignore about the lust problem in the church.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You asked and I answered just as others did. So please don't come at me with dismissiveness unless you're doing the same with folks who are defending Yes.:flower:

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a perfect opportunity for the church to be the church. Take a proactive role in proper biblical training and instruction. Teach the men to be godly men and to respect women. Teach them their passions are misplaced if they are directed toward any woman that it not their wife. Call sin for what it is. Teach men with sin problems to get on their knees and avoid situations where they may be exposed to their sin. Teach them to look at a woman's face and not her body.

Have the older women teach the younger. Teach them holiness. Teach them about the "hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God." Holy women learn modesty as a way to honor their Heavenly Father. Teach them their value lies in who they are in God's economy not how they compare to a photoshopped magazine model.

Zaac, I'm not denying there are pigs among us. Hog tie them or turn them over to Satan but don't be blaming the womenfolk.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Absolutely. We're in complete agreement.

100% agreement.

If the womenfolk are dressing in a manner that causes men to stumble, then they bear part of the blame.

As was said, intentions do not make consequences go away.

8. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think anyone is saying that women shouldn't think about how they dress. We are commanded, after all, not to be a stumbling block.

But if someone has a car accident because they were distracted by something interesting on the side of the road, causing them to collide with another vehicle...who do you think has to pay for the other car's damages? The man at the wheel of the car who hit him, or the owner of the interesting thing that took his eyes off the road?

#88 evenifigoalone, Jul 2, 2014
  9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If that thing by the side of the road is a strapless, cleavage hugging dress wearing Christian woman, she may not have to pay for the car repairs, but she will answer to God.:smilewinkgrin:

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as too much garlic in the spaghetti sauce (Che Bella!!).
    Yes, I am of Italian descent.

HankD

11. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough. Avoiding being a stumbling block is all about thinking how your actions affect others, and we are held accountable for this in some degree. No one is guiltless in this regard, and it's not just limited to dress on either sex. It's about the way we speak, live, choices we make, etc.

But neither should a woman act as a scapegoat for a man's libido. He won't be excused of his sin of lust by pleading "But God, did you not see how low her neckline was?"

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On our first trip to Hawaii, my wife and I changed in the beach house.

We both came out wearing sweat pants and shirts - head, hands and feet only showing. It was January but temp was in the 80's and so was the water.

It was an uncomfortable experience.

HankD

13. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

We're not talking about Islam or about women getting raped, but about Christian women. They are called of God to dress in a certain manner befitting the name of Christ.

It does not matter what her intentions are. They can be as innocent and pure as a newly fallen snow. It does not make the consequences of being a stumbling block go away.

I recently attended a youth event in which the young girls on the stage leading worship were clad in skinny jeans with lil form fitting blouses tucked into the jeans. Their intent may not have been to cause folks to lust, but I'm sure it did.

I had older women come up to me after the service and said it was just embarassing that their parents would let them out the house like that, let alone the youth pastor let them get up on stage and lead worship.

I can't tell you the number of times where I've gone places and done panel discussions about sex and staying pure for the young men in churches that one of the things they always bring up for why they don't like coming to church is the way the girls dress.

It's a problem.

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They say that when people are on set during certain skin movie shoots, it only takes about 15 minutes to get acclimated. After that, nobody gives a rip, even the camera guys are only doing their job and could care less.

But then again, a study just came out that says that doctors are giving women way too many pelvic exams, probably for obvious reasons.

16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, this is entirely about societal norms. Dressing like that is perfectly normal at school and I'm sure they didn't give it a second thought. Little old ladies aren't ever exposed to it so they thought it was embarassing.

#96 corndogggy, Jul 2, 2014
  17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

corndogggy, I believe that quote is properly attributed to Padre.:flower:

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What do societal norms have to do with Christian women and modesty? they shouldn't be dressing like that at school either.

The little old ladies thought it was embarassing because it was unGodly and a distraction to worship.

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. I'd say that people under 35 or so are inured to the modesty issues a lot of folks on BB struggle with. Men will see a woman with a bare mid riff and it doesn't create lust because they've been seeing it for 20 years.

20. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding dress, we have some very good ideas of what not to do, but it's hard to set an exact line.
    So inevitably people are just not going to agree on just where to set the line, even within those who believe in adhering to Christian guidelines. Which I trust all who have posted in this thread believe in.

Even within my church, wherein people dress pretty conservatively, there are differences of opinion. I've seen some members wear clothes I personally would not be comfortable, psychologically speaking, in. And the clothes I'm speaking of aren't even that "bad", considering there's way way way worse in our culture.

My dad used to talk about how "100 years ago" my mom would have been kicked out of some towns for the dress she wore, because it went above her ankles.
    Things simply vary from time and culture, and not everyone is turned on by the same things either.

I'm not one to hold it against someone for having somewhat differing views on what is and is not acceptable for dress than I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.