1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Striking Words !

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Following are some extracts of a sermon by Jonathan Edwards ( 1703-1758 ) . The title of the message is "The End of the Wicked Contemplated by the Righteous ; or The Torments of the Wicked in Hell , No Occasion of Grief to the Saints in Heaven " . His sermon was based on Revelation 18:20 : Rejoice over her thou heaven , and ye holy apostles and prophets ; for God hath avenged you on her .

Positively : the sufferings of the damned will be no occasion of grief to the heavenly inhabitants , as they will have no love nor pity to the damned as such . It will be no argument of want of a spirit of love in them , that they do not love the damned ; for the heavenly inhabitants will know that it is not fit that they should love them , because they will know then , that God has no love to them , nor pity for them ; but that they are the objects of God's eternal hatred .

... God glorifies himself in the eternal damnation of the ungodly men .

They [ heavenly inhabitants -- Rip ] will rejoice in seeing the justice of God glorified in the sufferings of the damned . The misery of the damned , dreadful as it is , is but what justice requires .

... The saints in glory will know , concerning the damned in hell , that God never loved them , but that he hates them and will be forever hated of God .

When the saints in glory , therefore , shall see the doleful state of the damned , how will this highten their sense of the blessedness of their own state , so exceedingly different from it ! When they shall see how miserable others of their fellow creatures are , who were naturally in the same circumstances with themselves ; when they shall see the smoke of their torment , and the raging of the flames of their burning , and hear their dolorous shrieks and cries , and consider that they in the mean time are in the most blissful state , and shall surely be in it to all eternity ; how will they rejoice !

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Striking, I say. Very!!!

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'll second that (or third it, depending on where you start counting).

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah , Edwards is known to have preached the most famous sermon in America : " Sinners in The Hands Of An Angry God" . Others may have regarded it as infamous -- even some professing Christians have some contempt for it . But this is another one which I thought deserved some attention . For about a year I thought Robert Murray M'Cheyne had preached this one , but I couldn't find it in his works . Lo and behold it was J. Edwards .

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The first time I heard someone on "Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God" was quite shocking.

2. The preacher went on to tell how people would leave after hearing that sermon and commit suicide, concluding that they had no hope.

3. Have you ever heard of this, Rippon?

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one committed suicide . In the sermon he offered hope in Christ alone . Edwards did not leave them with just the bad news . He dwelt on the sorry plight they were in . J.E. kept them facing their awful condition . But he offered them relief bytelling them to turn all over to Christ . It's interesting that the same sermon did not leave much of an impression in his home church .

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

A prophet is not without honor save...

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Striking but true:

And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. Rev 14:9-11

And when we behold the awful and terrible wrath of God let us have the same mind as the holy martyrs of God who when they saw God avenge their blood on the inhabitants of the earth said,

"And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments." Rev 16:7

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does God Love Everyone According To J.E.?

I thought I would revive this thread (it's just over a year old anyway).

I enclosed one quote with double brackets to get your attention.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems I remember from Spurgeon's biography that his mother told him one night at bedtime (as a child) that she had done all she could do in teaching the bible to him and proclaiming Christ to him and praying for him.

If he did not come to Christ in faith, she would one day stand with the saints in heaven and praise God for His decision to punish him (her child) in eternal hell.

That is just a little bit deeper than "now I lay me down to sleep...", huh?

peace to you:praying:

#10 canadyjd, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2008