1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Study Library?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by JasonL, Apr 8, 2002.

1. JasonL

JasonL Guest

I am working on building a good study Library, and I was wondering if anyone might have some references to some good books or reference materials. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks

2. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Was it Spurgeon who told his students "Sell your shirt and buy some books?" [​IMG]

Here's a couple links that may be of some help:

Grace Books International - Check out the Libraries which are listed here. Also,

750 Books for Bible Expositors for a booklist recommended by Master's Seminary. Hope this helps.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Are you looking for a list of good books or places to buy them? Or both?

The one posted above at TMS is a good site.
    Write to Southern Baptist Theological Seminary or call or log on to their website at www.sbts.edu and ask for Dr. Danny Akin's booklet "Building a Theological Library."

www.netbible.org has a good survey of commentaries. I can't find it at the moment though.
    Also, in the back of Bryan Chappel's book "Christ Centered Preaching" is a very helpful list of recommended reference works for the preacher.

As for buying these books:
    Cumberland Valley Bible Books
    Trinity Book Service
    URL=http://hometown.aol.com/donreis/myhomepage/business.html]Christian Gospel Book Service[/URL]
    Discerning Reader CBD

4. JasonL

JasonL Guest

I am looking for a list of good books for my library. Or recommendations of books for me to check in to.
    Thanks for the help so far.
    God bless

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you view a preacher's library (and yes Saggywoman, I include you here to) as carpenter views his tool box, the first tools you need are a decent set of hammers, saws, nail sets, ect.. Once you have the basics in the box or on the shelf as the case maybe, you then acquire other tools as a certain job requires. With that philosophy in mind here are what I consider the bare minimum for a English Bible only preacher (ie, someone without training in or firm knowledge of at least NT Greek if not Hebrew) </font>
    • Your Bible-A well bound edition of the AV 16ll with a decent concordance in the back. You may use other versions along the way to a greater or lesser extent, but the 1611 is the benchmark in English. So, a preacher must needs be familiar with it. </font>
    • Strong's Concordance-IIRC Dr. Cassidy prefers Young's. It mattters not really. See which one you can get the best deal on at your local Christian bookstore. Besides, there is nothing wrong with having both a finishing hammer and a framing hammer in the toolbox. </font>
    • Vine's Expository Dictionary of NT Greek-Reprints of older editions are reletively cheap. However, newer editions are keyed to Strong's numbers, which is a nifty tool as you're looking stuff up. </font>
    • A Bible Atlas - Can you tell the difference between Dan and Beersheba?</font>
    From here, you can start adding a good set of multi-volume commentaries, Matthew Henry or Jamison Fausett and Brown come to mind at the moment. Further, as you start studying a book, you buy a commentar(y)(-ies) on that book. Along the way, you will need a book on Bible customs and manners; this will have more depth than a book-based commentary.
    As I noted these are just some ideas for the basics. Beyond these, weeell, a carpenter's wife worries about his tools filling the garage. "But, Honey, I need this 3/8" yamaframits for a job."

Hope this helps, in His service,
    Keith

6. JasonL

JasonL Guest

I guess I should have told yall some of the books I already have.

Thompson Chain Reference KJV Genuine leather bound (not bonded leather)

Strong exhaustive concordance

Smith bible dictionary

Halley's bible hand book

Ungers Bible hand book

Bible Knowledge comentary 2 vol.

Matthew Henry Commentaries 6 vol.

Foxes book of martyrs

Manners and Customs of the Bible by Victor H. Matthews

and some varios stuff from Spurgeon, Swindol, J, Vernon McGee.....

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good start, though I see you're missing Vine's. Also, I would add D.M. Lloyd-Jones' "Of Preaching and Preachers" at your earliest opportunity. Depending on your bent, Trench's works would be a good addition. Don't be afraid of adding seemingly "strawy" works on various books. My commentary on Jude was written by Manton. As a Puritian, he can get rather dry in a few pages, but the depth is there.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I recommend adding soon: </font>
    • A good in depth Bible dictionary, such as Holman's, Eerdmans, New Bible Dictionary, etc. </font>
    • A Bible encyclopedia, such as ISBE or Zondervan </font>
    • Young's Concordance. Thomas C. is actually right on this one. Young's is much better than Strong's </font>
    • Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon. It's keyed to Strong's numbers </font>
    • Thayer's Greek Lexicon. Also keyed to Strong's </font>
    • A good work on Bible interpretation, such as Bernard Ramm's "Protestant Biblical Interpretation" </font>
    • A good inexepensive Bible program, such as ONLINE BIBLE (none better for the price) </font>
    These will get you working with some basic details on studying the text for yourself. Otherwise, you will be forever a slave to commentaries and this is not a good thing.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Squire is right about preaching books as well. For starters, you must read: </font>
    • "Preaching & Preachers" by Lloyd-Jones </font>
    • The Preacher and His Preaching", ed. by Samuel Logan </font>
    • "Preaching for God's Glory" by Alistar Begg </font>
    • "Power in the Pulpit" by Jerry Vines & Jim Shaddix </font>
    • "Lectures to My Students" by C.H. Spurgeon </font>
    You should also quickly add some theological works. For starters, see: </font>
    • "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem (careful on some non-cessationist views though) </font>
    • "Christian Theology" by Millard T. Erickson </font>
    • "Moody Handbook of Theology" by Paul Enns </font>
    • "Manual of Theology" & "Manual of Church Order" by J.L. Dagg </font>
    • "Abstract of Systematic Theology" by James P. Boyce </font>
    Systematic Theology is indispensable to the preacher. A preacher who does not preach theology is no preacher at all.

[ April 09, 2002, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: TomVols ]