1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sugar-Coated Cuss Words. Should a Christian say Gee?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Jul 23, 2009.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, I had to listen to a chapel speaker at my undergrad place who used OMG about fifty times in a sermon. He was trying to be relevant...I kept looking around to see if God actually was...well...around...

Its funny how some people interpret language and others don't care. We do some substantial ministry amongst deeply unchurched people, even leading a Bible study in a local coffee house. We often hear language that would offend the sensibilities of most Sunday School goers and barely notice it in that context. Yet if it was repeated in our Sunday School we would definitely notice it. Context is king!

Everything is heremeneutics! ;)

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Every time I hear somebody say Oh My God, or My God, I fantasize about their hearing a voice saying "You called?"

Or, "You rang? By the way, I don't believe we've met."

4. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

I just saw one the other day here in our little podunk town.

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Absolutely. It pricks my conscience very strongly when I hear anyone say it.

I used to say that routinely as a lost person, but from the day I was born again back in 1982 that phrase has never crossed my lips.

I'll say "Oh my goodness", but NEVER "Oh my God"

6. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

Since I was the one who "gigged" (whatever that means!) someone for using the word 'heck', I'll say my piece here.

Jesus says we are accountable for "every idle word" that we speak. Pauls says that "whether we eat or drink" it must be for the glory of God.

Some of the responses I am reading about this matter of language is utterly appalling. Aren't we called to be holy? Isn't there supposed to be a difference between Christians and the world?

When we stand in front of the blazing holiness of Almighty God one day, there won't be this kind of "easy-going-Jesus-loves-me-and-I'm-only-human-after-all" attitude.

I asked a person who used the word "heck" what did he mean by that? If you don't have a meaning for the word, then you ought not to use it. When someone says, "Go to heck", is there any doubt what the word means? Not if your IQ is at least room temperature.

This has nothing to do with legalism, being old-fashioned, or holier-than-thou (that one usually comes up at some point). This has to do with Christ's call to holiness in our speech and if you can't control the words you say, how can you ever hope to control the things you do? Or to put it another way, If the Holy Spirit has not got control of your tongues, then has He control over the other members of your body?

I can attest to the fact that one thing that is sadly lacking in many Christians - (Baptists particularly, as that is who I am most in contact with) - is personal holiness.

Robert Murray McCheyne, the great Scottish minister, used to pray, "Lord, make me to be as holy as it is possible for a saved sinner to be!"
    I recommend that prayer to those who have come under the condemnation of Proverbs 14:9 Fools make a mock at sin.

Think about it: the Bible uses the same word to describe those who mock sin as those who say in their heart, "There is no God!"

Pretty serious stuff.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Lux, I appreciate your answer. You've added a thoughtful and reasoned post to our discussion.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

With those passages, including Proverbs 14:9 in mind, the issue is still a matter of the heart. Getting on peoples' cases for the use of "heck", "darn", et al, stands the possibility of running the risk of legalism, despite the best of intentions. Language use is frequently a balanacing act. If someone is using a word (any word) with an intend ot taking the name of the Lord in vain, or for the purpose of cursing, it will be evident to the listener. If we need to ask, then it's more likely than not that there was no intent of the heart to curse ot take the name of the Lord in vain.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there is a puritanical element in our use of minced oaths or euphemisms in the American culture.

Being of Italian heritage, as a child I heard Italian expressions which if translated into English would be considered vulgar and/or in very bad taste.

However these expressions are used freely in mixed company and even directed to children with no stigma attached.

On the other hand, there are replacement euphemisms for some Italian expressions which are considered very crude.

I would be curious if other cultures have similar standards.

Please don't use any direct examples.

Thanks
    HankD

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you feel there's nothing wrong about bragging of your goodness?!

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who said anything about bragging about goodness except for you? Oh my goodness could mean "woe is me".

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear! Hear! :applause:

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

LOL!
    I use them ALL the time. The ones I don't like to use or hear or see are the variations/shortenings of the name Jesus or the title God. That is using it irreverantly.

As far as cussing, I don't like the full-on use of it and see it as base, but I am human and can be pretty low down. When I am, or when I am joking around, I will use all kinds of words. I picked up some from a friend who used to come up with the most hilarious stuff when she was talking! I think my favorite was "Oh, BALONEY SAUCE!"

Then again, I like sugar. GIMME SOME SHUGA! HA! Especially if it's a way of not cussing at me fully. I'd much rather someone tell me to get the heck away from them or say darn you than the alternatives!

I'm sure if we look up the roots of words, we'll find all kinds of stuff that means things we don't think about. We'd also find that some things we see as cuss words started out as perfectly legit words.

My way of looking at it is this: What is the meaning and strength of the word TODAY? We don't live in yesterday's language and it's silly to talk or expect yesterday's words and meanings to apply when they, well, don't anymore.

14. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Too many people just want to have something to be agast about.

when the "artificial cuss words" are used it's offensive because it mimmicks the word and sounds almost just like it and is used to make the same expliative.

Also it depends on the tone of voice any word is used. If one is angry even the name of Jesus can be considered cursing. That is a total misconception of the name above all others. He is our savior and not a cuss word.:jesus:

15. Alive in Christ

I said...

And Rippon said...

Why would you think that my statement had anything to do with my "goodness"???

It would never be thought to mean that. It means that something was amazing, shocking, spectacular, etc.

16. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You know, if you want to keep your language "pure" in honor your faith that is fine, but don't try to bully anyone else into falling in with your line.

When I am standing in front of God Almighty, He isn't going to be looking at me. Christ will be standing between us the sacrifice for anything, ANYTHING, ANYTHING, I might have said or done in this life. What does the Bible say? "As far as the east is from the west is how far my sins have been put away".

Yes, we should strive for perfection, but the idle words that lead us in the opposite direction are described as gossip! The apostle Peter is described as using some "rough" language, but it wasn't the language that he was chatised for, but the attitude!

Do you know what the Bible says will distinguish a Christian from the world? It's not language usage. Hmmm, maybe I should wait to see if anyone really knows since that one quality is often missing from the pages of the BB. I wonder how long it will take before someone comes up with the correct answer.

17. Alive in Christ

Lux...

Absolutly. That is *precisely* why we say things like "What the heck" and "Oh my goodness".

When I was lost and encountered christians, it really impacted me...convicted me...that they chose to say things like "when the heck" and "Oh my goodness"

I experienced conviction as a result. I was amazed that they were so concerned with being "clean" regarding their communication.

What we will experience is the feeling of "welcome home".

It's clear what it means. It means they are choosing to not say the other word. To not let "unwholesome communication" come out of their mouth.

And that is why we choose to use substitute words.

We are choosing to control our tongues and what comes out of our mouths. How can you miss that?

We are making a deliberate choice to replace "sewer" language with clean language.

It is indeed serious. And that is precisely why we choose to replace sewer language with clean language.

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I also don't think it's going to be "YOU SAID THE WORD HECK! GET THEE DOWN THE ESCALATOR, YE CURSED, VILE MOUTHED, JERK!"

I tend to want to work on the big stuff. When I'm a lot more perfect in heart and spirit, I'll work on whether having a belly button ring or saying "oh darn" is putting me on thin ice with my Savior. At this point in my life it isn't. I'm kinda working on stuff like faith, hope, love, and others. I don't know if I'll ever be holy enough in those things to spend time working on the subject of this thread.

But for all of you who have reached that point, congrats. If any of y'all disappear, we'll know you reached perfection and got translated. I'm jealous. Then again, I'd probably be so happy if I got translated that I'd yell out a sugar coated cuss word and get dropped back down on my head. HAAAAAAAA

BTW lux et veritas, nice name! I used to post on a couple boards as "Veritas" a few years ago, and until I saw your name on here and gasped and ran and changed it, my password elsewhere was your full posting name. Three cheers for truth, which should not be taken lightly. ;)

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ..."Golly Moses"?... "Oh, Baloney Sauce"?

Never even heard of them...You guys are a bad influence on me!!!

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I wonder if it's still okay to tell a horse "gee." :p