1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sunday school lesson plan

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by KJV4JJ, Nov 7, 2005.

1. KJV4JJ

KJV4JJ New Member

[​IMG] hello all... if any could help me with some info., I would greatly appreciate it. I am sorry, but I'm not sure if this is a "pastoral ministries" topic... it just seems to fit because I am in the ministry... and need help [​IMG] .

I am a youth pastor who teaches the Jr. - Sr. High Sunday School class. We have had a few students who have become "couples", and have been getting pretty "touchie-feelie" at church, and at various youth outings. Nothing really bad... just holding hands, hanging on each other CONSTANTLY and the occasional smooch. Now, I have already talked to them about respecting others in public/church situations, and have asked them to keep that kind of stuff to a bare minimum (if at all).

My fear is... that most of the kids I know are pretty decent guys/girls, but some of the people they are involved with are not... and if they are that open with each other in a public setting... then I know that they are probably going a bit further in private. I know that they obviously get a bombardment of influence in that area from the world, and I am pretty sure that most of their home lives aren't that Biblically based either.

My wife and I have been talking about it and praying about it for a while, and we feel that we need to use the open door of being their Sunday school teachers to witness to them about what the Bible has to say about sexual purity. I suggested that we do somewhat of a "split-session" where we start off talking together with the whole class, then we break for a smaller setting with me & the guys and her w/the girls. That way we can answer questions/concerns they may have that they wouldn't dare ask in front of each other.

My question is what do we say? is there any lesson plans on the subject? even some, that if not age appropriate, we can alter, and draw our own outline from? Maybe someone else here has
    had the same problem or has led the same type of class discussion .... let me know..... please.
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't used this myself, but it might be helpful.
    LINK TO RESOURCE

You might also try the "True Love Waits" folks. They may have some stuff too.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ive thought about this alot lately.

Many times girls, especially young girls, think that they will never be getting married. This means they really think they won't be dating anyone, so when a dating situation comes up they haven't mentally practiced doing the pure thing.

Kids need to realize that any amount of hand-holding, etc, gets them used to that level of "thrill." Then, when the thrill wears off, they have to do a little more to get some thrill again. It very quickly becomes a trap that kids can't get out of unless they get married, or fall into sin.

I think its far better to take that Bible verse literally that says "it is better for a man not to touch a woman."

Ive also heard it pointed out to kids that they should not be doing anything together that they'd not want their future spouse to have engaged in. Ive seen it said this way too..."Would her future husband object to what you are doing right now with her?"

Sometimes we think that kids have to be given some "freedom" to do these things, because if we tell them its wrong they are just going to rebel. Come on, kids might rebel no matter what we say, but they CAN and DO live just fine without all the hand-holding and smooching.....

and you are right, if they feel comfortable doing that level with you all right there, then they are most certainly doing more in private. And Id hate to see these kids have ruined testimonies later.

4. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Check out the "Passion For Purity" study from Student Discipleship Ministries. I've led teens through this a couple of times and it is excellent stuff. www.studentdiscipleship.org

5. KJV4JJ

KJV4JJ New Member

thanks all!!! I will be checking all of this stuff out! God Bless! [​IMG]

6. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

No PDA allowed (public display of affection) during church activities or events. You can't control everything so I think your conclusions are probably correct.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am a firm believer in do as much as I can in preventing issues by dealing with them ahead of time before they happen. By doing this you set up a frame work for good behavior and it tells the student what is good behavior. Don't accept the idea that each student will know what is good. Set the standard before them. For example if a person wants to build a boat he must know what a real one looks like to build a real one otherwise he is on his own.

As a pastor I dealt with issues of a much worse nature and even had parents who saw nothing wrong with that kind of behavior. So what I would do to prevent that kind of issue is to hand out a piece of paper stating the rules. If they know what the rules are ahead of time they they will less likely use their own guidelines. It may also help to have a specific meeting with the parents there and then go over the rules and what they can expect from you so that everyone is on the same page.

If it cannot be controlled then have some adults sit amongst the students and if it gets worse have the boys sit on one side and the girls on the other. Often you can control the situation without them even knowing it by having them do activities that keep them apart. You can assign people to groups instead of letting them pick their own groups.

If you want to talk about some of the issues you suggest it may be better if you can bring in someone else to talk about it who will give them straight direct talk. That way they will get the same message from more than just you and your wife.

Kids respond to direct talk telling it like it is. It gives them the striaght stuff and they appreciate that. The kids who do not engage in poor behavior have got to feel uncomfortable with such things. They will complain and leave if it is not handled. They will also appreciate it if the leadrs deal with poor behavior.