1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by smothered n relish, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Is there some other duty he could do during SS to make himself useful? Then he would be too "busy" to attend SS.

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

no he does not come to chuch til worship service which is right after SS

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't go to SS. I run the media center which is not open during SS time, but I need that time to work. No one has ever said a word -- well, except, "Can I come in the library too?"

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

For those families who don't do it, would they be in SS anyways.

5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

How about a deacon who doesn't come to church?

6. Brother Ian

I have been a Sunday School teacher for over seven years. I used to take mental attendance of those that did not participate, but were faithul to church. We typically doubled the attendance between SS and the service. Read half of the people did not attend SS. A few years ago, the Lord showed me that all I needed to do was be faithful to prepare dynamic, relevant lessons that my students would be able to understand and apply to their lives.

If folks don't go to Sunday School, I encourage them to try it out. I've had people come to my class and say, "Brother Ian, that was an awesome lesson" and then I never saw them again. That can be discouraging, but you have to allow the Spirit of the Lord to work in people's lives.

The real problem I have is that some in the church are "required" to attend because of their position in the church (lay leadership) but the standard is selectively enforced. There are two deacons in my church who don't regularly attend church let alone Sunday School.

The staff is aware of that, but hasn't really taken action on it.

A lot has to do with how the leadership of the church views Sunday School. If it is promoted as a good thing from the pulpit, then I believe more people will attend. It's tough sometimes though. When I taught a mixed class (I teach a different class now), the pastor frequently pulled people out of Sunday School to talk to them. Kind of gives you the idea of what he thought about SS. He also counseled during SS. Very discouraging.

7. Brother Ian

One more thing. There are people who think that being in the church building during the SS hour is going to SS. If you sit in the church office and talk about sports, that's not SS.

8. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

What if you talk about the pastor behind his back during that time? [​IMG]

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What if you talk about the pastor behind his back during that time? [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]USN, USN, now come on brother you should know this already...that is called edification ;) :eek:

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

To brother Ian:

Alot of those . they call them "inactive". ain't that like jombo shrimp?

11. Brother Ian

What if you talk about the pastor behind his back during that time? [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I don't believe that qualifies either.

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

What should we think about those churches who won't allow their pastor to be in a SS. "he should be praying or meditating on his sermon" they say. I say hog wash. He needs to be in a class to fellowship and either teach or at least show support. I think it ia part of the "elevation" of the pastor. Many believe he is too good to associate with the common church goer.