1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sunday vs Saturday Resurrection?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by vooks, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vooks

vooks Active Member

THIRD day is either the day AFTER tomorrow or the day BEFORE yesterday. This is what thinking people do.

Example/proof

Exodus 19:10-11 (KJV)
    And the Lord said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes, 11 And be ready against the third day: for the third day the Lord will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai.

Question for you Gerhard.
    Supposing YHWH spoke these words to Moses on Friday, which day were they supposed to be ready against?
    (a) Friday
    (b) Saturday
    (c) Sunday
    (d) Monday
    (c) I don't know

2. vooks

vooks Active Member

The reason is simple; there were no meetings on Saturday.
    What is the rationale of forbidding collections on sabbath when other more mundane activities such as rescuing animals from a pit were permissible?

Here is the verse that devastates silly Sabbatarian theories;
    1 Corintians 16:1-2 (KJV)
    Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Shucks ... “~left to an individual in their mind . . .”? Shucks!

4. vooks

vooks Active Member

Thus saith Holy Spirit;

Romans 14:5 (KJV)
    Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There was a meeting on the Sabbath before. Paul made his announcements, "ABOUT the First Day (following) of the week ..."

15:57,58 is Paul CLOSING his sermon, with consolation and encouragement.

16:1 is Paul directly after his sermon and consolation MAKING ANNOUNCEMENT : "ABOUT the First Day of the week".

He set no rule for all Sundays after; he spoke about the EXTRAORDINARY once in a generation maybe collection for an extraordinary dire episode in the life of the Church in Judea.

Speaking of Sabbatharians! What rule upon rule law upon law are you fabricating for Sunday sacredness!

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no ~rationale~ in such 'reasoning'; it's a lot of nonsensical comparisons of irrelevancies.

Luke's mention of "~rescuing animals from a pit~" and giving them vitally needed Water to drink, particularly "ON THE SABBATH" in itself is Prophecy that Jesus would rise from the pit and death "ON THE SABBATH".

Shoot yourself in the foot more. I enjoy it so.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I cannot imagine God said the above on a Sixth Day of the week because that would be impossible because "the Lord (came) down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai the third day" on the Sabbath Seventh Day of the week which was the Fiftieth Day 'Shavuot' or 'pentecost', and THEREFORE included that day the "Holy Sabbath of the LORD your GOD" in the Law of Ten Commandments.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So that means "~freedom~" to think as everyone liked to think himself?

Lekker hey?

9. vooks

vooks Active Member

First, you are a sick fella for presuming to know the exact day of the week Paul gave specific instructions in his epistles.

Secondly, he repeated the exact same instructions to another church (Galatia)

Please read the verses again or have somebody else do it for you. Here;

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 (KJV)
    Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Two churches have similar instructions to collect an offering EVERY Sunday. What is the point of this? They meet up on Saturdays and disperse after some hearty fellowship and breaking of bread. Then the next day they meet up to give their offering.

Sabbatarians are funny

10. vooks

vooks Active Member

No, it means Holy Spirit is indifferent to esteeming some days above others or esteeming all alike.

Supposing the subject was worshipping idols and Holy Spirit tells you to be convinced in your own mind! It means idol worshippers should coexist with non-idol worshippers :)

Holy Spirit is equally INDIFFERENT to the color of my socks. So I don't need to pray for guidance or direction on what color to pick.

YHWH was INDIFFERENT to the names Adam would give animals. Adam gave whatever name he wanted

In short, God's INDIFFERENCE = my FREEDOM

#30 vooks, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  11. vooks

vooks Active Member

Ok.

Supposing He gave the instructions on Sunday. What day of the week did He show up, the so called THIRD day?

#31 vooks, Feb 10, 2016
  12. vooks

vooks Active Member

First you amateur failed theologian with zero credentials and logic, and who has only excelled in nothing. Explain to me WHY there is zero collections on the supposed sabbath meetings but Sunday meetings are convened specifically for collection

If Jesus rose on sabbath, then from Luke 24:18 and 21 He rose on the SECOND day since 'these things' because Sunday was the THIRD day since 'these things' . You urgently need a brain transplant but I'm not sure there are ready donors :)

#32 vooks, Feb 10, 2016
  13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From Paul,
    "So then everyone of us shall give account of himself to God ... I know and am persuaded, by the Lord Jesus, there is nothing of itself, unclean. ... for the Kingdom of God is joy in the Holy Spirit because he that in these things SERVE CHRIST IS ACCEPTABLE TO GOD",
    to Vooks,
    the "~Holy Spirit is indifferent to esteeming some days above others or esteeming all alike.~"

So much for how much the Holy Spirit is indifferent or cares.

#33 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 10, 2016
  14. vooks

vooks Active Member

Holy Spirit is INDIFFERENT to days. You may esteem one above others or all alike, it's down to you. If you esteem one above others, don't judge and condemn those who don't and if you esteem all alike, don't judge or condemn those who esteem some days.

It is the Sabbatarians who mete out judgement on non-Sabbatarians. Obviously they worship their prophets and sectarian doctrines more than Holy Spirit

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You may be "~supposing~". I don't because "the day after the seventh sabbath" counted from "after the sabbath" the first sheaf was kept on by the priest for to be raised "on the day after the (first) sabbath" of the passover, was "the Sabbath of the LORD GOD the day The Seventh Day" ---of the week, of course.

16. vooks

vooks Active Member

You know playing dumb comes in handy when cornered.

We are not told what day of the week YHWH spoke to Moses regarding preparing Israel 'to day' and 'to morrow' in Exodus 19:10. The question is if 'to day' in that verse was a Monday, which day would have been the 'third day' against which Israel was to prepare?

Exodus 19:10-11 (KJV)
    And the Lord said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes, 11 And be ready against the third day: for the third day the Lord will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai.

17. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank,

re: "Do you consider the ordinance that Paul had given for all churches to follow in regards to collection being on the first day of the week?"

Yes, but as far as scripture is concerned, there were only 2 churches asked to do that - not "all churches".

re: "2 Corinthians 16:1...Seems to be a pretty good indicator that church services were held on Sunday."

I assume that you think that 1 Corinthians 16:2 supports your idea that NT Christians observed the first day of the week for their day of rest and worship. However, there is nothing in the verse that indicates that. The text that you are using merely says that everyone should "lay by him in store" on the first day of the week.

The New Swedish and Norwegian Bibles read: "At home by himself" The Lamsa Translation reads: "Let each of you put aside and keep in his house". The Weymouth reads: "Let each of you put on one side and store up at his home". Ballantine's Translation reads: "Let each of you lay up at home". The Syriac, on this passage reads: "Let every one of you lay aside and preserve at home". And the New Catholic Edition of the Bible reads: "....let each one of you put aside at home and lay up whatever he has a mind". This verse says nothing about going to church on the first day or even assembling together on the first day.

18. vooks

vooks Active Member

You know the argument that that the setting aside is private is quite nonsensical when you think about it.

The reason for setting the gift aside is to minimize the time Paul takes to collect it. If members saved in their homes, how would that accomplish his purpose? Please stop insulting his intelligence by quoting lazy or bogus translations.

Secondly, why Sunday and not any other day? Why would a gainfully employed or a businessperson or a trader continuously earning income throughout the week with exception of Saturday wait until Sunday to set aside their charity?

ThirdLy, the idea that the instruction was to two churches and not all churches is mighty silly. Instructions on operation of spiritual gifts was given to Conrinthians alone. Does that mean they are void out side Corinth?

#38 vooks, Feb 10, 2016
  19. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    vooks,

re: "I'm not the one to confuse sabbatarians with fact so I will suffer you to wallow in your mire and logic that ONLY makes sense to you."

I was merely pointing out that there is no scripture that says that anyone got together on the first day of the week in recognition of the resurrection.

20. vooks

vooks Active Member

Nobody said there was a scripture to that effect.

There is a 9/10 chances that you are a vegan out of religious/sectarian (Ellen White) persuasion
    Is there a scripture forbidding eating meat?:)

#40 vooks, Feb 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.