1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sunday vs Saturday Resurrection?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by vooks, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hark,

re: "Just a minor correction on the nickname; that is not an 'n' there, but an 'r '. No biggie. The letter 'r ' does look close to the letter 'n'."

Sorry for the error. It appears I may need to get the cataracts taken care of sooner than later.

re: "That is not how I am reading it.
    Not sure how you got 'two' churches out of that."

Sorry again. You're correct in suspecting that I was thinking of Galatia as a single entity.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

If you're neither, why do want reference? Anyhow, I'll give it to you. You can find it yourself by googling Calvin 1 Corinthians 16 commentary.

I worked off the printed Calvin, see here, http://www.biblestudents.co.za/books/Book 3, 6.Law.pdf

3. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what about all the sermons before the sermon in chapter 15? And so I do not see assigning chapter 16 as part of that specific sermon in chapter 15 as a means to give it a reference in time when that benediction was for the entire epistle.

I have shared the KJV with you. So feel free to show a Bible version that specifically says it the way you want it to say.

By the way, are you sure you are not misunderstanding Calvin? Here's a link that testifies to Calvin NOT designating the seventh day as the sabbath day he was referring to when the church should meet.

http://spindleworks.com/library/bouwman/calvin_sabbath.htm

4. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want the reference as proof that Calvin was endorsing the seventh day sabbath to be kept.

So your source cites excerpts from Calvin by saying that Calvin did endorse it whereas I cited a source that has excerpts from Calvin saying that Calvin did not endorse the seventh day sabbath to be kept.

I reckon we have to read the book by Calvin himself to know if they are pulling those excerpts correctly from Calvin's book or not.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then I am sorry I cannot help you further. I have thankfully no doubts though.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I didn't claim Calvin did. Not in the least. It's you who make a supposition which is untenable. You struggle on with your problem you created yourself for yourself. Don't expect of me to supply you with a solution.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ~sources cited~ and I know them all, you may check all possible ~excerpts~ or complete ~sources~ of, not one is "~saying Calvin did endorse ... the seventh day sabbath to be kept~". Again that is _you_ claiming, falsely!

8. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. It does seem to be an impasse here. We can always hope for each other that God will cause the increase on down the road on any edification that He wants us to receive.

However, you can access Calvin's actual book online. My source was correctly showing excerpts from Calvins' book. FYI

My source:

And the link to Calvin's actual book: "Institutes of the Christian Religion"

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/institutes.iv.ix.html

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And so did I. So feel free to show a Bible version that specifically says it the way you want it to say.

10. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about that, but I did misread you here below.

I reckon you have to prove that Calvin really did read 1 Corinthians 16:2 in the way you claim that he did for how you claim to be seeing it that way too.

Looking at your source, it did claim Calvin was endorsing the sabbath day to be kept. Take note how they add words to that effect before actually quoting Calvin. Scroll down to page 4.

http://www.biblestudents.co.za/books/Book 3, 6.Law.pdf

If you are reading books like this, I can understand why you would believe that the keeping of the sabbath day was necessary, but it is misleading.

You should prove everything you read with His help to make sure they don't pull the wool over your eyes, brother.

#90 Hark, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did not dispute it. I never claimed Calvin taught the Sabbath must be kept --- just like you. Not everything has been an "~an impasse here~". Nevertheless Calvin stated that 1 Corinthians 16:2 refers to a "Sabbath" the apostles were acquainted with. Check you sources and you will see for yourself Calvin is of the opinion "kata mian sabbatou" does NOT REFER TO, OR MEANS, SUNDAY.

12. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then let me ask again. What version are you using that says that?

I already did. I was using the KJV.

1 Corinthians 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. 3 And when I come,... KJV

13. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you didn't, but you were referring to a link where a site that was using excerpts from Calvin's book that says Calvin did.

I am just trying to point out several things per your beliefs and ascertaining that the site you shared may be responsible for that errant belief, whether or not you cited it directly or meant to endorse everything at that source.

By the way, I do not endorse everything Calvin said and that is why I am not a Calvinist. I am just trying to get the discussion going without taking everything you said at face value. I wanted to make sure that you were not stemming from sources and teachings that are misleading you, brother, as being the source of your overall point of view.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Reading the Scriptures --- and the NT specifically --- “~prove(d) everything~” I concluded in the quote, Q~ Calvin refers to the Scriptures by the pen of Paul, saying, Christians keep the Sabbath being “dead to our own affections and works”. Referring to the Gospels, he says, to “meditate on the kingdom of God”. Here indeed Calvin hits on the absolute roots of the Sabbath Day’s observance and celebration in all of Christendom of the apostolic age! The keeping of the Sabbath Day by the early Church was a matter of course and most obvious in its not being mentioned in every, or in the majority of cases, of its implication and involvement~EQ

What do you mean is not according to what is written? Be specific, please? The reference here is to what Calvin wrote. You have not quoted what Calvin wrote.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Reading the Scriptures --- and the NT specifically --- “~prove(d) everything~” I concluded in the quote, Q~ Calvin refers to the Scriptures by the pen of Paul, saying, Christians keep the Sabbath being “dead to our own affections and works”. Referring to the Gospels, he says, to “meditate on the kingdom of God”. Here indeed Calvin hits on the absolute roots of the Sabbath Day’s observance and celebration in all of Christendom of the apostolic age! The keeping of the Sabbath Day by the early Church was a matter of course and most obvious in its not being mentioned in every, or in the majority of cases, of its implication and involvement~EQ
    What do you mean is not according to what is written? Be specific, please? The reference here is to what Calvin wrote. You have not quoted what Calvin wrote.

#95 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "~Calvin refers to the Scriptures by the pen of Paul, saying, Christians keep the Sabbath being “dead to our own affections and works”.~"

That is word for word what Calvin wrote.

17. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Look closely again. They even put the actual quotations mark themselves. I shall highlight Calvin's actual "few" words in bold and underline them so you know what Calvin actually said.

Calvin refers to the Scriptures by the pen of Paul, saying, Christians keep the Sabbath being dead to our own affections and works. Referring to the Gospels, he says, to meditate on the kingdom of God. Here indeed Calvin hits on the absolute roots of the Sabbath Day’s observance and celebration in all of Christendom of the apostolic age! The keeping of the Sabbath Day by the early Church was a matter of course and most obvious in its not being mentioned in every, or in the majority of cases, of its implication and involvement.

See how they did that? All those other words are commentaries on small snips of Calvin's actual words which was only in those quotation marks.

I used to take a Liberty Home Study Bible course from Liberty University, and, thanks to Jesus as my Good Shepherd, I even proved everything they were trying to teach me by Him and they did not always say things that were Biblical either in regards to the role of the Holy Spirit in worship and prayer, and scripture in the KJV can correct them for saying so too.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Be His disciple. Trust Him to teach you and to discern everything.

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth....26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Ephesians 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

18. vooks

vooks Active Member

Gerhard is quoting himself as evidence of what he believes. That is circular argument.

He needs to demonstrate from Calvin's works that 1 Corinthians 16:2 is referring to a Sabbath day,and if that is this is the case, that it is right dividing of the Word.

A popular Sabbatarian tactic is to deliberately distort the phrase 'FIRST OF SABBATH' which is translated as First day of the week and understood to be a term for Sunday, as meaning 'First Sabbath'.

We have to ask what 'first Sabbath' in the heart of an epistle is. Is it the immediate next Sabbath after the epistle is penned or the one immediately after the epistle lands in Corinth?

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

"2 Upon the first day of the week"—‘kata mian sabbatou’ = 'Concerning the First Day of the week' = "About the First Day of the week" JUST THE SAME AS "concerning the collection"—‘peri tehs logeias’ = 'upon the (matter of) the collection' = 'about the collection'. In the context ‘kata’ and ‘peri’ are synonymous, perfect equivalents. Consult any Greek grammar.

I was also “~using the KJV~”. And just like you were.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ja, sure! Which words of Calvin are not italicized, and which words of mine are italicized as were they Calvin's words?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.