1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Super-skinny Super-models Banned in Madrid

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Daisy, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Last week's Madrid Fashion Week imposed regulations banning underweight models with a BMI of less than 18.(Kate Moss is a 15.)

No similar ban has been ordered by Britain, Milan or the US.

Is this comparable to steroids in sports, a public health issue or another example of government interference with business?

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I do think this is a public health issue. I watched a news report on this the other day and was very pleased to hear about it. The reporter took a scale behind the curtain of the fashion show and of all the models she interviewed (several) only one would be allowed to model in Madrid. One model said she knew several others that suffered from eating disorders to keep their skeletal weight. If this will help young girls with their body image (comparing themselves to skinny models) then kudos to whoever came up with the ban!

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Models that are model skinny, except in a couple-- maybe a couple of couple-- of places are successful because the stimuli of their modeling carries the notion that if you wear the clothes they wear a woman will look like them, not only the clothes. That's how advertising works; less-than-conscious brain-washing. In beer ads, note what voluptuous chicks are hanging around guys who gulp the product [though you don't actually see them pour it down their traps; that's against long-time codes]. Note trade/technical school ads on television-- in one I see, a nice-looking woman extols her school that trained her to be a medical assistant, and it ends with her wrapping a man's injured wrist in bandage, while voice-overing "...was the best thing that happened to me; could be the best thing to happen to you," as she smiles at a handsome young male doctor, who smiles back. I may be the cynic, or ogre, of all time regarding advertising or demonstrating, and definitely when I deal with a sales person trying to sell me a car or suit, et al, but I'd rather be a terror than to cajole to sexy models or pure bull.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In line with Daisy's post.

Take a look at the nutrisystem ad. This girl goes "look at me, I'm in a size 2", with a picture of her in the side wearing a size 6. And the scenes change and one shows her reclining in a chair by the pool, or walking with this guy, and you can't notice what absolutely firm abs she has.

Well, the naive will grab the phone and order those food he/she can gorge in and still get that slim but the terror like Daisy, and me, will probably want to call up the advertising firm and threaten to sue them in violation of the Truth in Advertising (if there is such a law here in the US) act because there is just NO WAY in this world you can get that body and those abs if you were once fat without exercise.

But, of course, they won't say that.

Who wants hard work. Eating and gorging one's self with all those food and still become skinny or at least that slim is much more attractive.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said Kate Moss has a bmi of 15?

Well, just for kicks, I went to a body mass index chart and I don't know how tall she is, but since she is a model, I plugged in 5' 9". If her bmi is 15 then that would mean she weighs 100 pounds.

Can you imagine a grown woman, at 5' 9" weighing only 100 pounds? For a hypothetical model to maintain a bmi of 18, and let's just say she is 5' 10", she would have to weigh 120-125 pounds. That's still pretty small for woman that tall.

My mother, who was 6' 0" tall for most of her life and has shrunk a little to about 5' 11" has always maintained a weight of about 140-150 pounds and she has always been the envy of her friends and peers. She can wear literally anything. I cannot imagine for the life of me my mother weighing 120 pounds. She would be gaunt at that height.

Many, many woman who are between 5' 0" and 5' 8" are struggling everyday just to maintain a good 20-30 pounds more than these models. So imagine if you have a super model who is 5' 10" and weighs 120 pounds standing next to a woman who is 5' 4" and weighs 130 pounds.

Our society has conditioned us to immediately react to the short woman as "unattractive" because she is "dumpy" compared to the model.

How sad....because there are millions of women who are 5' 4" who would mortgage their homes just to weigh 130 pounds.

I heard a former model on television yesterday saying that if the former super models of the past were still running the catwalks of European and American Fashion Weeks today, that they would be considered overweight. (Cindy Crawford, Kim Alexis, ........)

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The problem is camera angle . . . a camera adds 5 - 10 lbs to the body . . . that is one of the reasons that many people don't like seeing their own pictures - me included.

Once models started cutting weight 'a little' back in the 50's to 'look good' on film, the whole cycle began to repeat itself.

Madrid took a great stand by saying that they do not want their young women seduced into thinking that an anorexic body style is healthy.

7. ForYourGlory

ForYourGlory Member

My 17 year old daughter watched this in her "current issues" class along with other student at high school. She said that the young men in her class were sickened by the appearance of these women. Most of the females in the class were quite surprised, they just assumed that this was what all males thought and that the thinner you were the more they found you attractive. This gave the young men the opportunity to share that NO, this is NOT what they find attractive at all.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I imagine if I were the manager I would always be acutely aware of wind strength and wind directions when shooting pictorials out in the beach or the country. Uhhhmmm, I wonder if those models that use this big electric fan to simulate wind are "anchored down" ?:smilewinkgrin:

Agreed. Which is why I use avatars. At the moment, my orangutan avatar looks slimmer than I am, but I'm working on it, though. Last I looked, I've lost 14 pounds from my original 246 lbs. Don't look nice on a 5'9" skeleton, does it ? Oh, yes, the paunch has shrunk too.
    (psssstt....hope no one's from Madrid here, I plan to visit my grandfolks and cousins before I pass on).

It could be a public health issue. The message is "thin is beautiful", "thin is the way to go", and the young folks and spoiled wives could diet themselves to death or to the hospital just to be "thin like them" and able to wear those kind of clothes and underwear or whatever is being peddled.

Spain, culturally and historically, have not always been a democratic country. It is more monarchial, and the culture is matriarchal, and they are used to being "looked after" by their government, just as in homes and families, the big voice belongs to mama. If mama says no, then papa just goes and drinks his vino.

I don't know about today's Spain, though.

Lots of things have been corrupted by the West, which is why Osama and his kind thinks we ought to be kicked out of their "holy" places.

#8 pinoybaptist, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006