1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Susanna Wesley on child rearing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Dec 15, 2011.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Even I(blackbird) am dehabilitated with some sort of form of

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Public schools are benevolent and Christian schools uncharitable.

Check.

Before the ADD diagnoses fad, it was BD, behavior disorder. I think one would find that a common element is a dysfunctional family, to which Scarlett attested in her worst-case scenario.

Solomon's wisdom was God-given, and Susanna's children benefitted from that wisdom. Had she rejected Solomon's counsel in favor of more modern and enlightened philosophies, there would be no Methodists, and some of the great hymns of the Faith never written. Her kids would be ADHD.

One could teach for 100 years, and have to deal with all kinds of situations, and though it will inevitably give one some street smarts, it can never prepare one for parenting. Only family living can do that.

The rod and hard work is the cure for many behavior disorders.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

:type::type:attention disorder!!! Some teachers in school were able to pick up on it---some weren't

It got worse as the years went on through HS----but I had a Algebra teacher who picked up on it and helped me out

Here's a nut shell of how it worked

On test days(which came about much too frequently)---he would write the problems on the chalkboard---there was a board in front of the room and a board on the side---spanning the whole length of both walls

He'd start writing the problems on the front board and would just go on and on and on with the problems ----- eventually filling up the front board with problems----1. 2. 3. . . . 25. . . .

When he had the front board filled he'd move over to the side board and start doin' the same identical thang-----(Great God Almighty---Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob help me!!!)

I'd take my eyes off of the front board and would glance over to the side where he was still writing-----and would get completely flushed with the feeling of being overwelmed with what I saw----I'd tell myself---Ain't no way I can ever catch up with him

Anyhows----without looking away from his writing ----- he would see me with the eyes in back of his head and would say

CROWE-----DON'T LOOK AT WHAT I'M DOIN' OVER HERE ON THIS BOARD!!! LOOK AT THE PROBLEM YOU'RE WORKING ON!!! DO ONE EQUATION AT THE TIME----YOU FINISH WITH #4---GO ON TO #5----THEN GO ON TO #6-----ONE PROBLEM AT THE TIME, CROWE!!!

I discovered that the only way I could finish problem #35 is to finish up with problem #4---then to #5---on---one problem at the time until I reach #35

Thats been 35 yrs ago---but I still have Attention nitemares of that Algebra class----but thats how I solved my attention dilemma---finish one problem at the time!!!!:saint::type:

#23 blackbird, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
  4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

In the classroom----the slightest little thing would

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Then you weren't very perceptive. There were many students suffering from it in your classroom. Many of them didn't have the hyperactive component, but couldn't quiet their minds down.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

distract me from my work----and the distraction would become my mind's work!!

The janitor out in the hall pushing a broom----and yet another janitor out on the playground on the lawnmower

A buddy across the room clears his throat

A girl sneezes

The smell of lunch coming from the cafeteria

A classroom three rooms down suddenly bursts out in laughter---as if Johnny Carson just told "A Funny One!!!"

Until finally----what MY teacher was sayin' at the time---became a distraction

Finally----the 3 O'Clock bell(and NO---THAT never distracted me!!!!! Never!!!! I knew what that 3 O'Clock bell was all about!!!!!!!!)

#26 blackbird, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
  7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I still have that distraction problem

In college----I now have a BS and two Master's----I found that when I was distracted---I became a C student----but when I overcame my distractions I became a A B student

When I preach----I can be preaching along---and someone can get up to go to the restroom(or whatever)----and that will distract me---make me lose my place and have to start all over again!!!------or someone will sneeze or whisper something to their husband ----- but life is full of distractions, ain't it???? I work forward with the problem at hand----and every now and then ------ leave the problem to go see what the distraction is all about!!!!:flower:

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's interesting because I just read an article yesterday on the fact that lack of sleep can mimic ADHD and that when they did studies, many children who had been diagnosed with ADHD were actually sleep deprived and when they began getting enough sleep, their symptoms went away. I'm at church now and don't have time to look up the article but I found it interesting!

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rod and hard work are indeed cures for lazy behavior and/or intentionally disrespectful behaviors and/or irresponsible behavior. I employ them both and don't apologize for it. I have a paddle in my classroom and I showed it to everyone at the first of the year and told them that I did not like using it, but would never hesitate to "burn a hole in their britches" with it. So far, I haven't had to use it.

I do not employ the rod for behavior disorders where a child has a clinical disability. Those children MUST learn to self-regulate themselves. Giving them opportunity to tackle problems a bite at the time works best - whether it be a chalkboard full of math problems like Blackbird had to deal with or getting their locker cleaned out everyday. It calms them down and sets them on a path of self-control.

#29 Scarlett O., Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you're not family. The fact that the divided time you give to your problem students yields fruits makes me think their "disorders" would be wholly corrected with parenting, something I'll wager your more problematic students have been deprived.