1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Swedenborgian?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Reagan, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Spurgeon in his "Commenting & Commentaries" on the Leviticus listing said old commentator George Bush become one. What is that? What do you think of Bush's writings?

2. Haruo

Haruo New Member

(removed by Haruo - posted by accident before I got done writing it)

3. Haruo

Haruo New Member

I don't know anything about George Bush's commentaries (I thought he was an Episcopalian who was born after Spurgeon had died; maybe Spurgeon was a full-blown prophet? [​IMG] ) but if you want to know about Swedenborgianism, maybe you should post down where non-Baptists can reply, maybe you'll snag one.

Emmanuel Swedenborg was a Swedish philosopher of the 18th century who founded what I guess you could call the "New Age Christianity" of his era. The official term is "Church of the New Jerusalem", and they're still around though not as numerous as once was the case. I believe the father of Henry and William James was a Swedenborgian minister. Here are a couple of links: The Swedenborg Foundation; The New Earth Swedenborg BBS; The Swedenborgian Church; Google Search Results on "Swedenborg". There was a Swedenborgian church here in Seattle a few years ago; not sure if they moved on or just ran out of advertising money.

Haruo

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a church affiliated to the Swedenborg society in my city in Australia, it goes by the name "The New Church".

They used to meet in the Theospical Society building, but moved on to their own hall back in the 1980's. Im not entirley sure what they are about, except that they seem to be an all religions encompassing fellowship with an emphasis on their founders writings.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Another example of how Swedenborgians stray from orthodox Christianity is that Swedenborgians, IIRC, treat the Bible plus the writings of Swedenborg as being inspired.

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a big Swedeborg "New Church" enclave just down the road from me. Matter of fact there was one close to where I lived as a youth in Glenview, IL.

It's a rather rich, new-age church(?) (and rather in-breed if I may say so) based upon the wisdom of man. They not only base their doctrine on his ideas but only believe portions of the Gospels are inspired, Paul's writtings are not part of their bible. They place a high value on education.

Their belief is that the bible is to be interpreted as a parable, it is a lot of symbolism and imagery.

Rob