1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teach the Younger Women: What about when they refuse to listen?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Titus 2:3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things-- 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

HOW are we older women to admonish the younger women? In our churches only? On message boards? In our own families only?

When the young women turn aside from God's word and believe the world's lies.... when do we stop attempting to guide them?

Admonish is a very strong word...

To reprove gently but earnestly. To counsel another against something to be avoided; caution.
    To remind of something forgotten or disregarded, as an obligation or a responsibility.

SYNONYMS admonish, reprove, rebuke, reprimand, reproach. These verbs mean to correct or caution critically. Admonish implies the giving of advice or a warning in order to rectify or avoid something.

2. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

I would really appreciate a Titus 2 womam teaching me and the other younger ladies in our church, however, that is not something that anyone there does. So, instead, I have a couple of e-mail groups I am involved in where I get mentored and am able to ask questions as I need to. Also, there are constantly conversations on there reminding me of my duties to my husband, submission, etc.....

Sometimes, I think that the younger women don't listen b/c the older women don't teach....I really wish that we had this ministry in our church!

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't know that this is meant to be a 'class' of sorts but a reproving, advising type ministry. A group of young women were discussing a concern during AWANA two years ago. I was standing with the group as was a few older women. When no one had an answer for the 'problem', I gave the Biblical answer. I had 4 or 5 pair of young eyes roll and then they continued their discussion as if I'd not said a word.

Now, if you knew me personally, you'd know that I'm very soft spoken and am not assertive or pushy in any way. Certainly it wasn't the WAY I presented the answer but assuredly it was the answer I gave.

I don't think the majority of young women want to hear...

No divorce
    Submit to your husband
    No abortion or abortifant birth control methods
    Love your husband
    Raise your own children
    YES.. you can quit work!
    Caring for your home and family IS more important that 'me' time.
    Yes, you CAN homeschool your children!

(No these are not all Biblical Mandates)

4. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

I'm listening to all that!!!! I know that many women in my church at least would love to be told these things, but no one is talking about it.... I guess maybe a class isn't the best idea, but I don't know what is?? I'm sorry those women refused to listen to you. Those are all such important issues that you just mentioned and I believe that they are all very biblically based as well....

5. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I would LOVE to have a mentor. I had one in a church when I was overseas. I still keep in contact with her. It was SUCH a HUGE blessing. I miss it!!!!

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think this is one reason where I returned to religion because of the fact there was no boundaries or expectations or ANY discipline in my life. I was not raised with these attitudes but when I left home grab out for this apparent freedom. For so long I did my own thing and released how unfulfilling this was.

Mind you I would probably not have appreciated any direction until I fell flat on my face.

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do they still have womens conferences where they all hold hands across the auditorium and sing "We are sisters, - sisters in the Lord". I am sure that would get many young rebellious teenagers. in [​IMG]

Maybe they need to hear testimonies of people that have been into bad stuff and found Jesus? Hearing someone elses experience has often helped me.

8. ralb

ralb New Member

I would welcome this type of relationship, in fact I did have one with a beautiful older lady at my former church. We were in a bible study together and she offered to meet with me on a regular basis. Something I said during the bible study prompted her to make the offer, she said she had never done that before but she knew I needed someone. I am so glad she did. Sadly she passed away several months ago. I really miss her. She offered a balance of admonishment and encouragement.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ben, I'm 54 and my best friend is 27. She was into drugs, had 2 children and was pregnant at her high school graduation, had an abortion when she got pregnant a month after her 3rd child was born, etc. She found Jesus a few years ago and has won 19 of her family members to Jesus. I've never done any of that so Jennie and I have talked about how, as a team, we cover all the spectrums from someone who has always been in church to someone who made it out of the world! Her testimony of being raped by 2 uncles starting with being molested at 8 will bring tears to your eyes. Both uncles are still in prison because when SHE came forward, a lot of neighbors children and family came forward too. Girls and boys. :(

10. mioque

mioque New Member

dianetavegia
    "HOW are we older women to admonish the younger women? In our churches only? On message boards?"
    "
    This the first time on the internet that I feel the urge to lie about my age. Claiming the ripe old age of say 92 ought to keep me from getting admonished by the other girls around here. ;)

No divorce
    never got married in the first place
    Submit to your husband
    still not married
    No abortion or abortifant birth control methods
    looks at strip of pills... :eek:
    Love your husband
    still not maried
    Raise your own children
    no children
    YES.. you can quit work!
    no I can't, churchbuildings don't spontanously repaint themselves in the fall you know!
    Caring for your home and family IS more important that 'me' time.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, you CAN homeschool your children!
    still no children

11. mioque

mioque New Member

Maybe I ought to point out that I'm a virgin and that I take birthcontrol pills only to temper my foul mood during that time of the month.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Thanks for pointing that out Mioque!! LOL

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know this a little off the track but it does relate. When I was in college I asked an older man whom I knew was on fire fro Jesus if I could meet with him at least once a week. We met regularly for a few years. We prayed, worked together and studied the word together. He became my mentor and also taught me the trade I have too. We had a lifelong relationship until he died in 1995. Once he died I helped to take care of some of the needs of his wife.

People must begin to disciple others and then those who want help may come. I seek out people to help. I don't always wait for them to come to me. Leaders recruit people to help. If there is something to do and I am a part of it I try to recruit those who might be on the fringes and get to know them. Often from that I will get to know people who would like to grow.

The first thing is to pray for those whom God will bring your way. But you must be ready to help them grow. That means you will teach them to study God's word, to pray, to lead others, to share their faith. Discipleship is more than doing. It is taking the other person with you to do ministry.

Leaders don't wait around for ministry to happen they create ministry by serving. One of the best ministries that is not nearly tapped out is knocking on doors. You would be amazed at how you will learn to develop relationships and talk with people as you knock on doors.

14. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Diane,

I am mentoring a 25 year old single mom. She is my "adopted" daughter and I adopted her little boy, too. I always wanted 4 children--2 girls and 2 boys. Well, I had 1 girl and 2 boys. But God is good!!!!!! I got my girl and a grandson to boot! It is a real blessing.

I met her at work and she started coming to church with me and then to Bible studies. God is SO awesome!!!!!!!!