1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teacher fights to post Declaration of Independence quote

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ..........The Thomas More Law Center, a not-for-profit law firm dedicated to the defense of religious freedoms, filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of Johnson against the Poway Unified School District of San Diego, Calif., which includes Westview High School, claiming the order to remove the banners violated Johnson's First Amendment freedom of speech, particularly since the district permits other teachers to hang Buddhist, Islamic, and Tibetan prayer messages on their classroom walls.

Richard Thompson, president of the Law Center, commented, "Many public schools exhibit a knee-jerk hostility towards Christianity and seek to cleanse our nation's classrooms of our religious heritage while promoting atheism or other religions under the guise of cultural diversity."

The school district, in turn, filed to have the lawsuit dismissed. But last week, Federal District Judge Robert T. Benitez denied the request, stating, "Johnson has made out a clear claim for relief for an ongoing violation of his First Amendment free speech rights," and calling the principal's order "an unequivocal case of government hostility" toward the Judeo-Christian viewpoint.............

More Here

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

So I guess next do away with anything that might possibly considered christian, the declaration of independence obviously first on the list. Or perhaps we edit history to edit out anything related to christianity. This boarders on the absurd.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is crazy. Why would they want to prohibit the Declaration? It is far from even bearing a semblance of Christianity. It is deistic theology at its best.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Roger, most see things through their eyes and it starts when they started, were born. I was talking to a public school teacher about 3 years ago and told her that her history book was nothing like what I had in school. I showed her my history book from the 50's and she said it could not be true. For one she had believed that Thomas Paine was loved by most of the people of his day, and my text book pointed out that they had problems finding a place to bury him because of the dislike of him by the people of the day.

We have gone through 25 years are so of anti anything Christian, so many are anti anything Christian or sounds like it.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am strict church and state separatist, but this kind of stuff makes me crazy! I don't want the state teaching any religion, but to deny that our own countries history is void of God, statements about God or influenced by Christians and Christianity is historically inaccurate at the very least. People mentioned God and even assumed God in our past. To teach these facts is not teaching religion, it is accurately teaching history. Also, now after 25 years, come on, you don't have something better to spend the school districts money.

Looking at the banner from the picture it is hard to imagine anyone running up to the teachers desk and telling them, I just read these banners and I want to be a Christian. They seem to me to be more of a patriotic expression then a religious one.

#5 go2church, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that the military should have chaplains (at taxpayers expense)? ect, ect, ect

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chaplains in the military do more then just spiritual work. They have other duties, so the tax payer is still getting value for their money. Also no one is forced to attend any of the services, so that is ok as well. They recognize all religions, even providing services for all the faiths, that is ok as well.

There have been rare cases of folks going overboard with their faith (in military terms), but those are by far the exception rather then the rule. People have a spiritual side and during times of high stress, combat and separation from their families will want to seek spiritual answers, the military recognizes this and seeks to meet this need without endorsing any one religion.

The line gets fuzzy trying to answer the question, when is a solider acting as private citizen and not a soldier while on duty or deployment? I don't think there is a clear answer, but generally personal time is usually left alone as long as you aren't breaking the law.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first post should read "to assert that our countries history...." instead of deny; Huge difference!

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I think so much of this may come from one's age and what they were taught in school. I was taught back in the 40's and 50's much about our history and many of our leaders theology or lack of it.

In history I was taught much about Islam, RCC, Church of England, Knox, Calvin, Wesley and other faiths and people of those and forms of the Christian faith, as they were woven into history. We had a good amount of Jewish history and their belief. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't call that teaching religon but teaching history.

As far as chaplains in the service, at the places that I was stations, they were not much good, most when I was in were either RCC priest or very liberal. Took many of them home for drinking to much. I'm sure as with anything else good ones could be found, I just didn't find them.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A solider is always "on Dury"

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How long have you been on "dury" Salty?:laugh:

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever since I had a sliver in my finger - but Nurse Julie has come to the rescue:thumbs: