1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teaching creation science

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Gina B, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Steven O. Sawyer

Steven O. Sawyer New Member

I am not trying to steel the thunder from Meatros, but I believe what he is refering to is the fact that Genesis states that the plants were created on day 3 while the sun was not created until day 4.

Being a YEC myself, I will answer from that perspective. Light was created on the first day which implies that the entire spectrum of light was created which includes the infrared rays, ultraviolet rays, x-rays, etc. Visible light is only one part of that spectrum therefore there was not only light from day one, there was also heat.

We do not know what the source or full nature of this light was, but as it came from the most wise Designer, it was sufficient for His purposes.

It has also been claimed that there could be no "evening and morning" without the sun. That is not true. In order to have a periodic day on earth, the requirement is that you have directional light rays shinining upon the earth (from "day 1" of creation) and also a rotating earth.

Christians who accept man's explanation of geological ages over God's plain word (and therefore allegorize the book of Genesis) would probably say that the sun was not really created on day 4 but that the dense cloud cover over the surface of the earth began dissipitating so that the sun could be directly observed at that point. There are many fine Christians who believe in allegorizing Genesis whom I otherwise admire very much such as Ravi Zacharias, R.C. Sproul, Chuck Colson, etc.

This issue is an important but secondary issue and constitutes an "in house" debate amongst Christians which we can disagree on but should not separate over.

Non-believers, of course, use these passages as evidence against any inspiration of the Bible.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Steven, I thought that might be what he meant at first but then figured he couldn't have since "let there be light" happened on the first day. So there was light from SOMETHING, or maybe that's not literal either? It seems there would have been heat from the earth and the water, especially the way water was before rain. (warm springs and mists and such)
    Then if you consider that it would have only been for one day, and that God also made a virgin conceive and raised the dead, I don't see where there's much of an argument to saying God couldn't do something we think impossible even if there really was no light or heat, although that seems contrary to the what the bible says anyhow.
    Gina

3. Meatros

Meatros New Member

I did indeed mean the creation of the sun. If God created a light to act as the sun does, then why create the sun? Wouldn't the creation of the sun add to the heat/light thereby killing the plants?

The reasoning I most here is ad-hoc's and they aren't very satisfying. As in this thread, there already is a logical fallacy (appealing to ignorance) that tries to explain Genesis. All it really does is take us through unnecessary mental gymnastics.

4. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Meatros:

If there is a GOD, why can't we just look out and
    see HIM?

5. Meatros

Meatros New Member

If this relates to this thread or any responses of mine, I fail to see how...