1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tebow our starter!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by dcorbett, Oct 11, 2011.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think of Tim Tebow as a fine Christian man that just happens to be an NFL quarterback. I would still admire him as a former NFL quarterback. Christian character eclipses fame, fortune and on field performance every time. God will not judge Tebow on the basis of his quarterback rating.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am not trying to tear him down Brother, but facts are facts. On any other team in the NFL, he'd be riding the pine. I am thankful that he is a CHRISTian, but he's not an NFL caliber QB, yet. Maybe in time? Who knows? But right now, he isn't NFL caliber @ the QB position.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Hallelujah.....

4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tebow is NFL calibre. I am not sure about the rest of my broncos, however.....:laugh:

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

comp att yds TD INT
    week 5 vs Chargers 4 10 79 1 0

week 7 vs Dolphins 13 27 161 2 0

week 8 vs Lions 18 39 172 1 1

week 9 vs Raiders 10 21 124 2 0

week 10 vs Chiefs 2 8 69 1 0

week 11 vs Jets 9 20 104 0 0

week 12 vs Chargers 9 18 143 1 0

week 13 vs Vikings 10 15 202 2 0

week 14 vs Bears 21 40 236 1 1

week 15 vs Patriots 11 22 194 0 0

week 16 vs Bills 13 29 185 1 3

week 17 vs Chiefs 6 22 60 0 1

W/C vs Steelers 10 21 316 2 0

Div. vs Patriots 9 26 136 0 0

So a 44.2% pass completion is NFL caliber? He may get better...in fact he will have to get better if he remains their QB. List one NFL team, other than Denver, that Tebow starts for?

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, this is not a debate forum...this is fellowship. I won't debate his passing ratio without figuring in his running yardage.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a bit like saying, concerning a pitcher in the National League, "I won't debate his ERA without figuring in his batting average."

8. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, what it says is that I consider the whole package, not just one aspect.

And his leadership, his drive, his positive determination, his "do anything
    to get it done" approach makes him a winner. He has played a total of 12 NFL starting games. He will get better. He took a dismal season and gave it spark
    and joy.

9. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn't that many years ago when the New York Football Giants were lamenting using their first round pick for a new quarterback. The guy had a 0.0 passer rating (55 for the season) in his fourth game and got benched. I bet Packer fans are wishing Eli Manning got the boot in 2004.

Of course, Eli doesn't share the same public testimony as Tebow. What is similar is that young quarterbacks generally stink their first few years.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know many players in numerous positions on both sides of the ball with these traits...are you suggesting they can and should all be qb's?

11. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't meet them at Cleveland Browns Stadium I'd wager. :laugh:

Give the kid a break. He isn't the first QB to stink up the field and certainly won't be the last. He won some games mostly through dumb luck and circumstance not the first nor the last to do that either. But he has what George Plimpton called the X- Factor. It's attitude.

Football coach Bill Curry says that there are five rules for achieving excellence: singleness of purpose, unselfishness, toughness in sticking to the rules, smartness (knowing your business), and never quitting. That's what Tebow brings to the field. Stats are just part of the whole mix.

FWIW: It doesn't matter what we think of his play. The Broncos have named him the 2012 starter and John Elway is going to personally coach him during the off-season.

I think Elway's two Superbowl rings trump anything any of us can come up with.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like I've always maintained, I'm a fan of Tebow the person and Tebow the football player, and I hope next year to be a fan of Tebow the middle-of-the-pack qb. Right now he is not, in fact, the offense they are running is essentially a Wing-T wishbone where he is the passing rb, which is exactly what he is at this point in time, a decent rb who can complete some passes. What I'm tired of is the fact some believers call out other believers for not jumping on Tebow the "good" qb bandwagon, and vilifying me for not seeing a good qb.

13. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like wine and cheese. Ya just cain't call 'em good 'til they have a few years on 'em. Brett Favre threw 4 passes in his first year (w/Atlanta) and had two of the picked off (0.0 rating). Vinnie Testverde had a 20 year career as a 58% passer. George Blanda had a 60.6 rating over his 26 year career.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Ben Consentlessberger, etc would take issue with that :)

15. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to that - Elway wasn't that impressive his first few years either,
    but the Broncos stuck with him. Now he is Hall of Fame.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You say this as though Tebow's the only one who possesses these qualities, or that his desire to win somehow outstrips everybody else's.

Elway had 1 bad season, his 1st one. Broncos went 13-3 in his 2nd season and his passing numbers look pretty good for the era. To say otherwise is total revisionist history.

17. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Man, ccr, what's up with that? :confused: Nobody's expecting Tebow to be in Canton in the next year or so. How about some perspective? Not for nothing, football - even at this level - is just a game. The kid did what tens of thousands of other kids only dreamed of- play in the NFL. I don't know about you but if I didn't weigh 300 pounds as a junior in high school I never would've played a single game at that level. I peaked there. How'd you do?

Secondly, if all the hoopla surrounding Tebow leads just one to the foot of the Cross it will be well worth it. God has a plan for this young man and has chosen this venue for a season. It doesn't have to make sense to you nor do you have to like it. In that respect, the rise or fall of Tim Tebow is none of our business.

Remember the conversation between Mordeca and Esther? He asked her a question that I believe applies here.

And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14b

We're solidly into a second generation with no Christian memory. Their heroes are athletes or rappers. Here comes a fine Christian man in the field of sports that is not ashamed of his Savior. For millions of folks this is as close to church as they have ever been. Who knows if Tebow has climbed into the limelight for such a time as this?

Tim Tebow is not the only one with abilities and drive, but right now he is the one getting a lot of press. Trust God to accomplish what He desires through Tim Tebow right now. Baseball's right around the corner and it will be August before we hear Tebow's name again. In the meanwhile I pray that God will thrust a fine Christian baseball player into the light, and a basketball player, and hockey, race car driver or (fill in the blank).

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is one non football aspect of Tebow that has bugged me these past few months..."Tebowing". I wish he would have come out and denounced the phrase and what it stands for...and stopped doing it. It has made prayer into a mockery.

19. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then again, some people actually do it so show they are in solidarity with our praying quarterback!!!! So it brings an attitude of prayer to the forefront.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet the majority of people doing it are mocking him and prayer, and redefining what he is doing. Tebow needs to come out and put an end to calling it "Tebowing". His lack of silence on this new phenomenon (even receiving a dictionary definition) points to self and doesn't look good from a believers perspective. You mean to tell me you cannot offer praise and prayer without striking the Tebow pose? It has become a gimmick.