1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tech workers forced to train foreign workers to replace them

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Feb 4, 2015.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.computerworld.com/articl...rs-beyond-furious-over-h-1b-replacements.html

Information technology workers at Southern California Edison (SCE) are being laid off and replaced by workers from India. Some employees are training their H-1B visa holding replacements, and many have already lost their jobs.

The employees are upset and say they can't understand how H-1B guest workers can be used to replace them.

The IT organization's "transition effort" is expected to result in about 400 layoffs, with "another 100 or so employees leaving voluntarily," SCE said in a statement. The "transition," which began in August, will be completed by the end of March, the company said.

"They are bringing in people with a couple of years' experience to replace us and then we have to train them," said one longtime IT worker. "It's demoralizing and in a way I kind of felt betrayed by the company.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, there's more to it.

3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These things really do happen in IT, because I've seen it myself - one company I contracted for a couple of years ago tried to replace the whole IT staff with these H1B visa-holders but it was a disaster. They will work for much less than an American but the quality of work suffers greatly.

There's no STEM shortage, it's just a way to flood the market with "competition" to keep the wages down.