1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teens, Sexual Purity Pledges & Marriage

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Pastor G, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Pastor G

Pastor G New Member

gekko

I most certainly can appreciate your reply. The gospel is the most essential truth. However, the prevailing issue facing our youth today is human sexuality. They are being raised up in a sex-saturated culture. If you will, biblical training on sexuality, marriage and family are the new “cups of cool water” in the 21st century. If we can answer this generation’s questions about godly sexuality and human relationships we will win the right to reach their hearts with the gospel.

2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Hi, sorry for interrupting, but a webcomic on this would be a great ministry. When I get time to flesh it out id like some of you to support me on this. Any takers?

3. gekko

gekko New Member

it should be the other way around... give them the gospel in a way they'll understand that they need it. and in doing that they'll learn that sexual impurity is sinful.

"by the law, sin became exceedingly sinful"

lust will always be with everybody in the world. can't get away from it. the Lord Jesus Christ will help them with their sexual purity issues...

what would be better for a doctor to do
    -operate on the juggular vein that's just been cut
    OR
    -take the sliver out of the kids finger

salvation is so much more important then sexual purity. sexual purity will come with salvation... if it is a true conversion. if it's a false conversion... then just wait for the sexual impurity and backsliding of the person. focus on the biggest issue. not the small one.

if one answers the questions of this generation about godly sexuality... and then we "win the right to reach their hearts with the gospel" if that person is not a christian... and he/she dies the night you meet them... where're they goin? heaven or hell?

who do you know who isn't saved?
    how can you say you care for the lost... and not pull them from the fire?

4. UnchartedSpirit

huh? are you replyling to another post?

5. gekko

gekko New Member

haha. ya. to pastorG's post...

6. UnchartedSpirit

sorry gekko you don't even have to notice mine (

7. Pastor G

Pastor G New Member

gekko

You make great points. Can't argue. All I can say is that you are so right in the power of the gospel to save and keep us.

A part of the "good news" that our teens are being robbed of is the good news of God's plan for human sexuality.

gekko, they are so confused at this point. It has gotten to the place that Christian youth sometimes are not making the connection between sexuality and the spiritual.

Please continue to pray for our youth as they are fighting the good fight and doing the best they can to run the good race.

Also, as one who has been charged with ministry in this area across the nation, I request your prayers. Our youth suffer so much because of this issue. All I, and all the others called to this ministry, want is to see Christ glorified through these young lives.

Thank you for your conversation on this.

8. Pastor G

Pastor G New Member

Hi Unchartedspirit,

What is a webcomic? If you are being serious, I am game. But I am clueless!!!! :cool:

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm perfectly fine now. Years have passed, and I'm now married to a nice Christian woman who could relate to the very issues I faced. My issues have been resolved. The hardest thing I had to do was to forgive myself, and I was eventually able to do just that. It just took a while for the realization of God's forgiveness to translate into self-forgiveness.

I still cringe, though, whenever I hear lessons that are long on talk about virginity but short on talk about "from this point on." These types of lessons tend to talk about virginity in the context of a gift to the spouse. The biggest problem with this type of teaching is that it is completely inapplicable to non-virgins. It only makes them think, "Well, I'm out of that picture. I guess I'm just out of luck for the future." What I do like to see is studies that talk about the need for personal holiness and how sexual abstinence prior to marriage is a fundamental component thereof. These studies tend to emphasize future behavior--which can be changed--as opposed to past behavior (resulting in the present state virginity or non-virginity)--which cannot be changed.

10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Good point: why hold to any hope that young people can actually obey God's commands in this area of their lives? Come on, you're just provoking conversation, right? Every teen that I know or knew in their teens (I'm not that far removed @24)has been able to resist temptation where God's command has been explicit. Just because some have not enough character to obey and keep their minds pure doesn't mean that no one can. I did (Married @23) My brothers all did @22, all of my good friends have and I know many who are not married yet, and are still living in obedience. [​IMG]

11. Pastor G

Pastor G New Member

StefanM,

God bless you, friend. If it is any encouragement to you at all...I approach my sexuality training with teens in the way you suggest.

Pray for me. It is very difficult where I am to speak about sexual purity in the context of personal holiness. Why? Because, everyone wants the kids to sign a card.

This issue is so black and white with so many youth leaders. If it is known that I am not going to use a pledge card in my program I might not be invited in to speak...really. However, once I do my program, everyone understands what I mean when I say using the cards makes every teen there a potential liar!

It’s like we are promoting that God divides all teens into virgins and non-virgins. That is simply not the case.

In between pledging fleshly perfection and teaching condoms is grace. Grace to live our lives as God has ordained and grace when we fail. Pure, holy and righteous is what God made us when we were saved. None of these is achieved or lost by what we do or not do. 1 John 3:3, Colossians 3:12, as well as many other verses state this. Now, as a result of who we are, we are instructed in 1 Thessalonians to “avoid sexual immorality…to control our own bodies in a way that is holy and honorable…”

I could go on and on…but I won’t! StefanM, you are a breath of fresh air! Again, God bless you, my friend.

Have you checked out my website? www.abstinencepastor.org I would enjoy having you on my mailing list, too.

12. UnchartedSpirit

It's alright, Steffan, I accidentaly diceovered these as well, basically, like cartoons printed in a newspaper or a magazene, webcomics are comics routinely posted on webpages. The best example of one would be The World of Vicki Fox, but it runs spordaiclly, and I'd like to see more of them out there.

13. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

I know that I'm budging in here but, Yes there is a realistic pledge. In fact, My youth pastor held a small seremony for me and the teens at our church where we took a pledge that we were to keep ourselves pure untill we married. It is possible... with God's help He will help. You just have to pay attention and watch out for situations that may be tempting or luring. Trust God.

14. Pastor G

Pastor G New Member

Hi Clean1,

You bet its possible! Through Christ, we can do all things. For many youth the pledge is realistic, its just when you are making a promise to God...a promise...that is serious. Everyone of us has to admit that making a promise like that is risky. Unfortunately too many youth are not keeping that promise and are falling away from the church...not because they messed up, but because they promised God they wouldn't.

I am not talking about worldly kids only that have messed up in this area. I'm talking about godly teens, with great hearts, who love God, but got into a situation where things got out of control with another godly youth. Now they are not even in church anymore. Why? They feel they lied to God.

Of course, it is possible. We just don't need the card. We don't make sexual purity happen through "will power." God does it through us.

I invite you to check out my website. Look under, "what can we do" on the left side and you can get a better idea about what I am trying to say.

www.abstinencepastor.org

And Clean1, you are NOT "budging in." Thank you for your response!

Pastor G

15. gekko

gekko New Member

well if the teens were true converts... they wouldn't fall away. would they.

folks we have got to stop embracing those that name the name of Christ and saying "you're a christian - you've given your heart to Jesus"

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

[sarcasm] No of course not, Gekko...it's not possible for a Christian to commit a sexual sin. [\sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Surely you are kidding here, right?

18. gekko

gekko New Member

true converts sin against their own will.

true converts fall into sin... while false converts die in their sins... in other words... fall away... backslide... which means they never slid forward in the first place...

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

:confused: :confused:

Gekko,
    so..if a kid commits a sexual sin, that means they aren't saved? You lost me...I hope I'm misunderstanding you...

20. gekko

gekko New Member

if a kid comes to Jesus to become righteous and holy as God. (im not saying he's going to be perfect) he will have no desire for sexual sin. because he knows that the action of that. the penalty of that is death. im not saying they're not saved when they sin. but "No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." those that profess to be christians... and then claim they fell away. are not saved. bible talks of false teachers, false prophets, false BRETHREN. etc.

if a kid claims he is truly saved and then commits a sexual sin - willfully. then i dont believe that kid is truly saved. because if he was truly saved. he wouldn't commit a sexual sin willfully. a willful sinner is not fit for the kingdom of God.
    for example. with me, i used to go out there and lust willfully... but now that God's opened my eyes to his word. i go down the street, and i hate lusting, because i know where it'll end up puttin me at. straight in the lake of fire if i sin willfully, keep giving into it. but now i hate it, yeah sure it happens, but that's why i trust in Jesus. by the law, sin became exceedingly sinful.
    i dont know how to fully explain this.

but is it making any more sense? if not... im sorry for that. and i'll try to make it make more sense.