1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Temporal Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even through what you perceive is Salzer's negative commentary you can glean something salvageable.....that is if you get out of your FREE WILL GRACE mentality. See I view myself as a Christian Radical who always looks for the root cause of beliefs....guess there is some degree of forensic investigation going on with me every day in order to find the "Truth" (the Radix).

Brother, I would advise you to read over both Salzer & Kyreds commentaries because both gentlemen have presented you with alternate understandings of your prospective....you might just learn something....or not (you decide)

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I am so glad that the God I worship did not leave salvation in the hands of whether someone would here a voice and have the option to turn and hug someone to determine if He saved or not.

#102 salzer mtn, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just described "SYNERGIST":thumbsup:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you have just described Monergism:thumbsup:

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if I may take a timeout here :love2:, I am going to state that the points of true disagreement relating to the OP is probably discipleship and the scope of predestination, not on how God redeems His elect from their sins and secures them to eternal salvation. That I perceive to be a “straw man” logical fallacy. Please lets stop the introduction of irrelevant issues to avoid forthright dialogue regarding the real issues presented to us in the OP...IE, is the doctrine of Temporal Salvation valid?

Thanks

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to apologize to the OP, for my posts, especially the long ones. I am not as educated as most, if not all of you and therefore do not always understand nor read the OP carefully enough and have a tendency to post my thoughts.

That said I would like to say, salvation will always be temporal until, "the redemption of the body," is fulfilled otherwise there would be no need for the verses following that phrase, concerning the word, "hope".

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need for an apology brother & I appreciate your contributions.... My thanks to you brother. :thumbsup:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hassell on “the conditionality of time salvation”

NOTE: Cut & Paste done from Doctrines For Dummies

Another equally unnecessary and unprofitable verbal contention among a few Primitive Baptists is one similar to, if not connected with, the controversy on predestination. It is the question concern*ing what is called "the conditionality of time salvation," and, con*nected with this, the question as to the ability of the child of God to obey the commandments of his Heavenly Father.

All Primitive Baptists are agreed upon the unconditionality of our eternal salvation, and the inability of those who are dead in sin to render spiritual obedience to the law of God. Instead of re*pentance and faith being conditions prerequisite to salvation, we understand that they are the work of the Holy Spirit in the re*newed heart, and are thus essential parts of salvation; and, until the spiritual renewal, the fallen child of Adam will love sin and hate holiness and continue in rebellion against God.

But there is an apparent disagreement in two or three of our Associations, among worthy and lovely brethren, who would be heartily fellowshipped and gladly welcomed by other Primitive Baptists everywhere, as to whether our time salvation, that is, our deliverance from spiritual darkness, coldness, distress, and chastise*ment during the present life is conditioned or dependent upon our obedience to God, and as to whether the child of God is able to obey or not.

Now, even the authors of dictionaries have no right to manu*facture or change the meanings of words; their business is simply to ascertain and state the meanings which words actually and al*ready have in the language of which they treat. It would be de*ceptive to use words in a different sense from that which they generally have, unless we explain the sense which we mean. The most of controversies are strifes of words; and when words are properly defined, and their correct meaning is accepted by both parties, the controversy, ends.

A "condition" is defined by the best of English dictionaries to be "an event, object, fact, or being that is necessary to the occurrence or existence of some other, though not its cause; a prerequisite; that which must exist as the occasion or concomitance of something else; that which is requisite in order that something else should take effect; an essential qualification." And these dictionaries say that the word "if" is "the typical conditional particle, and is nearly always used to .introduce the subordinate clause of a conditional sentence," and means on the supposition that; provided, or on condition that; in case that, granting, allowing, or supposing that.”

There are 1,422 “ifs” in the Bible—830 in the Old Testament, and 592 in the New Testament; and these conditional sentences make up about one fiftieth part of the Bible. Thus forty-nine fiftieths of the Scriptures are unconditional, and one fiftieth is conditional. All reverent minds must admit that this conditional part of the Scriptures, though comparatively small, has a real and true meaning.

It cannot be denied by any informed and honest man that such Scriptures as the following are conditional; “If His children forsake My law, I will visit their transgression with the rod, nevertheless My loving-kindness will I not utterly take from Him. (Psalms lxxxix. 30-33). “If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land; but if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword, for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.” (Isa. 1. 19, 20). “If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.” (John xiii. 17). “If ye live after the flesh, ye shall die; but if ye, through the spirit, do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Rom. viii. 13 How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?” (Heb. Ii. 3). “If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanseth us from all sin.” (I John ii. 7). See also, such scriptures as Lev. xxvi; Deut. iv. 29-31; vii. 12-26; xi. 13-32; xxviii.; Ezek. Xviii, xxxiii. Nor only is it certain that these Scriptures are conditional, but it is equally certain that the condition, introduced by “if,” necessarily precedes the conclusion, which would not take place unless the condition took place first. If the conclusion in these sentences means eternal punishment, then Arminianism is true; but either the text itself, or the context and other Scriptures, prove that the punishment or chastisement threatened in case of disobedience, is temporal and corrective, and not eternal and destructive, for God gives His children eternal life, and they shall never perish, and though their voluntary sins separate them from His face, nothing present or future can ever separate them from His love. (John x. 28-30, Heb. xii., Isa. lix. 2; Rom. Viii. 28-30). Thus the conditionality of time salvation is just as certain as the truth of the eternal word of God. Baptists have always heretofore understood it so; nearly all Baptists understand it so now; and this truth is in perfect accordance with Christian experience. And if the living child of God, having the indwelling of the Spirit of life and grace, which makes him alive, is not able to obey heartily and sincerely, though imperfectly, the commandments of his Heavenly Father, his real state does not differ from that of those who are dead in sin. Of course he can do nothing spiritual or acceptable to God except by that Spirit of grace; but that Spirit dwells in him. (John xiv. 16, 17; Rom. viii. 9-17; II Cor. vi. 16; Eph. ii. 22); and he “can do all things through Christ, who strengthens him.” (Philip. iv. 13); and he well knows and loves to confess that he has nothing good which he did not receive from God, and that without Christ he can do nothing, and that, by the grace of God, he is what he is—a poor, hell-deserving sinner, SAVED BY GRACE—a brand plucked from the eternal burning (I Cor. iv. 7; James i. 17; John xv. 5; I Cor. xv. 10; I Tim. i. 15; Zech. iii. 2). And he knows just as well, both from the scriptures and his own experience, that, in willful disobedience to God, he does not enjoy that spiritual comfort which he has in obedience. All the children of God are as assured of these truths as they are of their own existence; and bitter contention over them is wholly unnecessary, unprofitable, unwholesome, and subverting. The ENTIRE scriptural truth about any matter unites, comforts, and edifies the children of God; while a contention for a PART of the truth for the WHOLE truth divides, distresses, and overthrows them. Truth is spherical; we must look at it on all sides to understand it at all aright. Extremes are dangerous; let us avoid them as we would the verge of a fatal precipice. “Let our moderation be known unto all men—the Lord is at hand.” (Philip iv. 5).

God is the only independent and absolute Being in the universe; not for one instant does any other being cease to be, both naturally and spiritually, dependent upon Him. All our sins come from our*selves alone, and with confusion of face we must take all the shame for them, and not charge them in any way upon our holy Creator *upon His foreknowledge, or predestination, or the partial with*drawal of His spirit of grace, for well do we know that such a blasphemous imputation would be the grossest of sins; while all our salvation from sin and its consequences comes from God, who de*serves and will receive every particle of the glory of it.

While fear and hope are, in the conditional scriptures, recognized and addressed as strong motives to human action, pure, self-deny*ing LOVE is set forth, in the scriptures, as the highest and strongest motive that can actuate any being; the motive which assimilates us most to the character of the Three-One God, who is love, and who saves His people because of His eternal and infinite love of them. Without this divine motive in our hearts, our services cannot be acceptable to God, and we can never enter that "heaven above, where all is love," or if we could enter the home of eternal love, we could not enjoy its holy delights.

Man is not an unthinking, involuntary, irresponsible machine. He can and should be moral-it will be better for him in this world; but it is far better for him to be spiritual, and to be thus prepared for heaven.

I believe that all right-minded Primitive Baptists will accept these scriptural truths. Such acceptance would put an end to the useless and ruinous strife of words on this subject."

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, am I ever gonna' use this quote of yours against you. How often you have violated this very principle day in and day out on the BB.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hassel's article, quoted in post 108, is full of gobbledygook. He needs to express himself in clear, concise language. He needs to define what time salvation is.

"Thus the conditionality of time salvation is just as certain as the truth of the eternal word of God."

Huh? To use the word "thus" means you have laid down a premise. He did not do so. Time salvation is a theological deviation from historic Christianity. Two salvations--one temporal and one eternal is heterodoxy.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This yet another thread pushing Calvinist doctrine not assigned to the Cal/Arm forum.

The gospel is the power of God for salvation. Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all mankind, but that finished work of the cross did not cause anyone to receive the reconciliation provided by Christ's death on the cross. In order to receive the reconciliation, we must turn to God and trust in Christ, and then God must credit our faith as righteousness. Our faith provided the access to the grace in which we stand.

We are saved through faith, not saved and given faith.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Therefore God in Christ saved (past tense) us but we can really only be saved (present and future) if we are willing to save ourselves by believing that God saved us? That is a question.

What is man saved from? Man is sold under sin. Does God ransom man from, the man himself. Who sold him. Sold under sin to whom/what? Ransomed from whom/what?

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. Romans 7:14
    For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; Romans 8:20

For the creation was subjected to futility. ---- Was that when man was sold
    in hope; --- Hope of what? to be ransomed

Was Adam created carnal, sold under sin,introduced to him through the deception of the help meet of him, by that old serpent called the Devil and Satan, bringing about lust in Adam unto sin and the death?

I say yes, and because of that; 1 Cor 15:22 For as in Adam all die, God knew what Satan was going to do. God planted a garden Eastward in Eden and there he put the man he had created. Why? Why did God put the man in the garden where Satan was? To test the man he had created, flesh and blood, carnal, with his soul/life of the flesh, in the blood of him? No, I say again No, he was not testing Adam. God did so for the, HOPE to come in the fullness of time, born of woman, born under the law for the purpose of, to redeem, Gal 4:4,5 Buy back.......................

God was doing battle, in the garden of Eden, with Satan and Satan did not know it.

1 Cor 15:22 even so in Christ all shall be made alive. Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once, to die, but after this the judgment: 1 Cor 15:23 But each one in his own order: (To be made alive) Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.

The only part man has in this is to praise God for it.

Sorry again OP

#112 percho, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can a doctrine that attempts to separate the tangible from the intangible in scripture have serious repercussions? Explain that old wise one.

FYI, the two salvations of Dispensationalism has had, and still is having, catastrophic repercussions for the entire world.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know why you are being so hard headed on this; are you just out to harass EWF, or is your sole intent to bash the PBs? Once again:

Scriptural example of the intangible:

Nevertheless in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rejoice that your names are written in heaven. Lu 10:20

4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before him in love:
    5 having foreordained us unto adoption as sons through Jesus Christ unto himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, Eph 1

Scriptural example of the tangible:

9 because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved:
    10 for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Ro 10

7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
    8 For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life. Gal 6

Of all members on this board, I would expect that you Rippon should be able understand the doctrine, regardless of the 'heterodoxy of the terminology' used by the PBs.

15. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

16. BrotherJoseph

I would like to add to my previous post. Some Primitive Baptists take conditional time salvation to the extreme and believe that a child of God can reject the gospel his entire life or not know the gospel his entire life, and die and go to heaven, however in the post resurrection New Testament there is not one single example of this.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Twice now you've used this term. What's the significance you're placing on 'post resurrection' NT. Has God changed since then?

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What is your view in regards to 'time salvation', Brother Joseph? Seeing you're a PB, how do you see it? Thanks in advance and welcome to BB...:wavey:

19. BrotherJoseph

Originally posted by Convicted 1

Hi brother Convicted. I believe in time salvation, but believe it is accomplished solely through the Holy Spirit working in us and will surely (not might) come about in the life of a regenerated child of God. "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 [B]For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. " (Philippians 2:12-13)

A link that lays out my belief more in depth is by Elder Poole and can be found here
    http://www.the-remnant.com/conditional2.htm

#119 BrotherJoseph, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  20. BrotherJoseph

Brother KYRedneck wrote

I used the term post resurrection, because Paul described Christ's resurrection as part of the gospel. He wrote, " Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:" (1 Corinthians 15:1-4)

After Christ accomplished the gospel by rising again, there has not been a single example of a child of God in scripture who was born again, but never heard of the gospel or rejected it, therefore it is illogical to assume this occurs (and perhaps even quite often) in regenerated children of God in this age, however many believers who advocate conditional time salvation preach this. I use to be a member of a Primitive Baptist church that will go unnamed that had elders who actually believed there could be things such as elect Muslims for example, who never believe the gospel, yet are born again. They pointed to their good works as evidence of them having the "fruit of the Spirit". This is heresy, and for awhile I hate to admit it, but I too was fooled by them.

#120 BrotherJoseph, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014