1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Temporary Salvationist 1-8

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Herb Evans, Nov 17, 2006.

1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Liz Catholics believe purgatory is a part of the salvation process. While they may say the people in purgatory are "saved" they aren't completely saved or they wouldn't be in purgatory. Purgatory has to do with a person's eternal destiny.

The gospel of the kingdom doesn't have anything to do with a person's eternal destiny.

Hope that helps.

2. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Well, all I can say is, I have yet to meet a Catholic who would agree with you. I don't think we do anything to help the Gospel if we attack straw men rather than what people actually believe.

According to Catholic doctrine, there is only way out of purgatory and that is into heaven. It is not possible to leave purgatory and go to hell, only to leave it and go to heaven. So, apart from the duration, I repeat, what is the difference? I see none.

I understand completely the need to differentiate between those who said the "sinners prayer" under some momentary persuasion, and those who are truly saved, but I think there is a far easier way to differentiate between the two. The "sinners prayer" saves no-one, and those who insist on using it for their "converts" should never assure such a person of salvation until the fruit proves that the tree is good.

Liz

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well I will read up more on what you have stated. However, there are several differences still. One is that the ultimate goal of purgatory is to get to heaven, and that's not the ultimate goal of the gospel of the kingdom, as our final resting place is not in "heaven" as church tradition whether RCC or protestantism claims.

Another difference is that Catholics believe that prayers of either saints or themselves can help the process along.

I think a more profitable approach would be to see what Scripture has to say about the gospel of the kingdom and let Scripture shape us instead of trying to make comparisons to purgatory.

Let's just see what Scripture says and let's believe It for what It says regardless of what other denominations think or believe. Wouldn't that be a better approach?

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

And yet Liz, forgive me if i am wrong, this seems to be exactly what you have done. If I attacked communion because of its similarities to the RC Mass, where would it get us. Why not attack what I believe instead of erecting a Purgatory-guilty-by-(percieved)association straw man?

Lacy

#264 Lacy Evans, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006
  5. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

I'm not into guilt by association. What I asked you was, what is the difference between your view and the Catholic doctrine of purgatory - apart from the length of time involved? It was simply a question, not an accusation.

Liz

6. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

I was not asking for a complete run-down of all the things Catholics believe that you don't - I am not intending to imply that you are a Catholic. I merely want to know what the difference is between purgatory and spending the millennium in hell, that's all. The only difference I see so far is one of duration.

Liz

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Then you obviously didn't read the entire post that you quoted, because I gave you two more differences in that.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It is true that Millennial Exclusion and Purgatory sound similar. But understand that a Catholic must work for salvation, and just because you may say that a Catholic who goes to purgatory is already 'saved', you forget that if a Catholic doesn't have enough good works they wont go to purgatory. Purgatory is supposed to cleanse them from lesser, 'venial' sins. But if they die with 'mortal' sins that they have not done penance for, they will not be allowed into purgatory but instead have lost their salvation. We believe that a person is saved when they believe on Jesus Christ, and no amount of sin, mortal or venial, will cause Him to break His promise of eternal life. It will have effect on rewards and when that eternal life is realized. The problem with rejecting purgatory strictly on the basis of punishment after death is that the bible teaches punishment after death. There are many problems with purgatory, but that isn't one of them.

9. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Yes - and I said I was interested in differences between your teaching about Christians spending the milennium in hell, and the Catholic teaching on purgatory, not in other differences between Baptist and Catholic doctrine. I do know what those differences are!

Liz

10. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Well, these days most Catholics don't seem to think anyone is going to hell, with the possible exception of ex-catholics. But I take your point - still, it isn't relevant to my question.

So as far as I can see, this is a doctrine you share with Rome, though you disagree on the duration.

Liz

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Is that the guilt by association argument again? Rome believes in the trinity, do you?

12. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

No guilt by association, James, I told you, I don't do that. It's just that now I am clear where you are coming from, that's all. We haven't come across this doctrine yet in the UK. When did it arise, do you know? (I mean the "baptist purgatory" bit, not the Trinity!)

L:iz

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I would say it arose with the preaching of John the Baptist. See, it is a baptist doctrine after all!

Matthew 3:1-2
    1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea,
    2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The message is exactly the same. The kingdom of heaven is at hand, and unless we repent, we will have no part in it. But I know you want to know who else taught this doctrine besides John the Baptist, Paul and Jesus. Many people have taught it throughout history. It just gets overlooked or buried by mainstream Christianity who will have nothing to do with it. Watchman Nee, G H Pember, Robert Govett... Wherever you find men teaching pre-millennialism, your likely to find men teaching it in some fashion.

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Actually you can go back further than that if you wanted to, because it can be found in the OT types as well, although the authors of the OT didn't fully understand it I don't think.