1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tennessee

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Vicki, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Vicki

Vicki New Member

Someone once mentioned to me that there are some beautiful mountain resorts (or cabins, etc.?) in Tennessee complete with shopping, restaurants, and other activities. I understand that there are LOTS of these places throughout Tennessee. Has anyone visited any of them? Just wanted to know what your experience was. Seems like a great option for a "getaway" vacation (especially in the fall or maybe spring). Was it very expensive?

God bless,
    -Vicki

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Vicki, I've been waiting for some others to chime in here, cause this interests me also!?
    The only place I've been in Tenn. is Gatlinburg. Went up on one of those "listen to my sales talk, & you can have a free vacation" deal! I did drive over to Pigeon Forge also. I really liked it up there!! Beautiful scenery!

Took a side trip just out of Gat. that I think was called "ROARING FORK ROAD"! It was just a drive that let you stop & see old grist mills, cabin, etc as they were decades ago, Very interesting, but the road was VERY, VERY steep both up one side (one way traffic on the whole road, abot 7 miles I think)& down the other. I tho't my brakes were going to be completely chrystallized before we reached bottom! I had my car in low, ad in a few spots had to literally ride the brakes to keep the speed low enough to negotiate the curves.
    Several places you could pull off though & visit the features I mentioned; also let the brakes cool a little! :D

One place I did not go, but would really love to see, is Cade's Cove South of Gat/PF. This is a "definite" if /when I go back! Supposed to be a great place to see wildlife in a natural setting!

Check out the following site for more info, & good luck! www.blueridgecountry.com

3. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Come to Tennessee & you may just want to stay [​IMG]

Yes there is lot's of shopping, restaraunts, fun in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. And it's really not too expensive. Cabins are availible, but the motels are usually more reasonable. A word of warning though, it can get pretty crowded in the fall. But if you're lucky you could make it a weekend trip and head over to Knoxville and watch the VOLS beat up on somebody.

Cades Cove is really neat. Make sure to stop and see some of the really old country churches that are there.

North of the Smokies are some really beautiful mountains, if you want to get away from the crowds. One of my favorites is the Mount Rogers recreation area just north of the TN line in Virginia. No motels or shopping here, though! Just lot's of beautiful country.

4. Vicki

Vicki New Member

Thanks for the info :D I added the link to my "favorites" so I wouldn't lose it. Both of you mentioned Cade's Cove so I will have to put that one at the top of our list to check into. With those steep roads, I know I won't be the one driving! I'll be in the passenger's seat with my eyes closed and praying :eek: . (never been good at heights)

Thanks again! God bless,
    Vicki

5. charles

charles New Member

Boy,you guys have got me in the mood for Pigeonforge and Dollywood

I'm going to buy season tickets to Dollywood this week if my test results will allow.We live 7 hours away.You can use up 28 hours a day shopping at Pigeonforge.If you come in on Saturday or Sunday,your motel bills will be about half.The Applebarn is the
    best breakfast around.

Don't forget the package deals at the Opryland hotel in Nashville.

God bless,Charles

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There's a reason why West Virginia is called "Almost Heaven": It's just not TENNESSEE !!!!!

On ole Rocky Top, an hour from Gatlinburg,
    Tom

7. charles

charles New Member

Wow,75 degrees,clear blue skies,stomach full and driving around the 11 mile scenic circle at Cades Cove.Nice,clean motel rooms at 24 dollars.Boy can heaven be any sweeter than the Smokey Mtns on easter?
    God bless,Charles

8. That's SHOPryland, now that the Theme Park has been replaced by Opry Mills!

The only thing harder than getting a yankee to come to Tennessee is getting them to go home! ;)

9. susanpet

susanpet New Member

You should visit the Smokies if you have never been. And don't overlook Cherokee, N.C., just over the mt. I have been to all these places numerous times and have always enjoyed my stay. My daughter LOVES Dollywood. The Dixie Stampede is great also. Pigeon Forge is just a couple hours drive from my home, so we can visit whenever we want. The fall of the year is the best time to go, I think. :cool:
    Susan

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You can play Bingo at Cherokee.

11. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in the Volunteer State as I type away--Jackson to be exact. I will be here for at least the summer while I wait on the Lord's marching orders concerning my further education.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Little known fact of history:

More War of Northern Aggression (Civil War) battles and skirmishes were fought in Tennessee than in Virginia!

Just had the 140th anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh. If you go there to the Park and see the film at the Visitor's Center, my two boys and I are in it.

I'm the tall, good-looking CSA soldier at the end of the battle line attacking the Hornet's Nest (where we eventually kill or capture some yankeescum prisoners).

Both my boys were killed in the battle.

13. charles

charles New Member

Bro Bob,
    I live about 50 miles from Shiloh.In Florence we have a section in our cemetery for the unknown civil war soldiers killed on our streets.Also the tomb of a teenage sharpshooter who came to our town to kill Union soldiers.They killed him.

Say,I heard the battle of Franklin,Tn was more like murder than combat.The confederate commander sent the troops into a battle that was unrealistic and cruel.Maybe the story was not true.

God bless,Charles