1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Terrorist Sent to His Reward

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Nonsequitur, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That's not what is meant by "deterrent."

2. targus

targus New Member

Yes, I know - it meant to make a point and be humorous at the same time.

My observation of human nature tells me that people tend to push the envelope in most situations. That is we go to a point of familiarity and then just a little further each time that we are in a particular situation.

Bank robbers don't start out as bank robbers. They start by stealing small things and then work their way up.

Little kids don't start out by moving away to college. They start by walking to the edge of the driveway and then over the years venture further and further from home.

I would guess that people who kill also are a little quicker to do it again each time too - maybe with less provocation each time.

Execution is one way to be sure that they don't continue to push that envelope.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I've heard it too many times to find it funny - it's just trite now. No offense. :wavey:

I agree with you.

However, to give the death penalty, a crime must meet certain standards and it's pretty strict. Usually, to ask for the death penalty requires one or more of the following: murder committed in the act of another felony (such as rape or bank robbery), murder of a law enforcement officer, murder that is unusually vicious (such as torture), murder while the victim is pleading for mercy (this needs to be witnessed unless the murderer admits it), murder for monetary gain, murdering more than one person, and a few others I may have forgotten. These also can vary somewhat by state.

So the average murder is not a death penalty case. And manslaughter -- accidental killing (involuntary manslaughter) or non-premeditated murder such as killing someone suddenly while in a rage or provoked (voluntary manslaughter) are not murder and cannot be death penalty cases.

#23 Marcia, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

All think he deserved the death penalty and rightly so. It sure seems odd to me that almost every post on this thread talks about the physical death of a man who was served justice, and little or nothing about the salvation of his soul. As one poster said, we are all capable. And yes, it was seven years not ten years ago, a fact which means nothing in this situation. It seems to me that especially those on this board would be thinking along spiritual lines rather than physical, especially in a life and death situation. Except for the mercy and grace of the Lord, and the sacrifice of Jesus, everyone of us deserve his fate.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

How are we not thinking along spiritual lines?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe because post after post is about the execution, and not one word about the salvation of his soul. One comment was made after I brought the point up. On this board, I am at the bottom of the list for theological training, just an average worker and church goer. The normal person on this board is either a theologean, pastor, Bible teacher, or been to some type of seminary. You would think the thought of salvation would occur before facts about the death penalty and the execution.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I was commeting on his execution. It's a little late to worry about his eternal state. I'm sure during these past years in prison he had access to spiritual help if he wanted it.

I have not joy in knowing he has died, probably lost in his sins, but he only reaped the fruit of his work.

The reason for the death penalty is to be in obedience to the Word of God, not for personal revenge.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, one part of your post is correct in that he "probably died in his sins" since neither you or any of the other experts of judging an individual have any idea what his final state before the Lord is, as you can only guess. Sometimes I wonder if those who are so adamant about this knowledge got a as seen on TV super duper Holy Spirit regeneration detector for 4 easy payments of 19.99 (shipment free).

No doubt he had access to spiritual help. He may or may not have wanted it. That really depends on the will of the Lord, doesn't it?

My point is, I did not expect anyone to know his destiny, but I certainly expected someone to think of it, and as I said above, especially in this group.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't believe I said anything about having any special knowledge concerning this man's eternal destiny. One thing I have noticed is that you seem to have great difficulity posting anything with out making some demeaning remark. Why is so difficult for you to show love toward your brothers and sisters in Christ?

10. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Expected someone to think of it? I did.
    Why do you think that I titled the thread,
    ' Terrorist Sent to His Reward'?
    "In this group"?
    What are you trying to say about us?
    I'm sorry.
    I don't speak for all here.
    I'll ask another way.
    What are you trying to say about me?

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Why have a word about his salvation when it seemed he wasn't saved.

Are you sure about that? I don't know that that's true.
    Why? I still don't get it. What is it that we are supposed to say?

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I believe I see his point. Isn't it be more natural for a Christian to be saddened by the death of someone that likely now is in hell for all eternity, rather than be satisfied or comforted by it?

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I never expressed satisfaction or comfort at the execution!!

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I wasn't trying to imply that you did.

saturneptune comments seemed to be directed at the tenure of the entire thread. You said you didn't understand them. I was just commenting that I think I see his point.

15. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

No.
    You're wrong in that you did not read the original post.
    Try Again/Abort/Quit?

16. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Obviously, you haven't/don't get get the original post.

17. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Your right, I missed his original post. I was responding to this one:

"Maybe because post after post is about the execution, and not one word about the salvation of his soul. One comment was made after I brought the point up."

I would agree there is not much to discuss in depth about how he might have been saved, we can now hope that might have been the case.

So I guess I agree with the point I thought he was making more than the one he actually made, :laugh:

18. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

No, I don't rejoice that a lost, misguided soul went to Hell. I do rejoice that another finger of satan has been neutralized.
    As all of them will.

The terrorist of Ft. Hood should be next. And quickly.

You mean this one?

So I guess I agree with the point I thought he was making more than the one he actually made, :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Gee, so now you know the point that I was trying to make but not the one I actually meant?
    You'll make someone a fine wife someday.

19. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Gee, so now you know the point that I was trying to make but not the one I actually meant?
    You'll make someone a fine wife someday.[/QUOTE]

Actually I was never discussing your posts. I don't know what gave you that idea.

I was responding to Marcia about what I believed saturneptune might have meant when you started commenting to me.

20. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Actually I was never discussing your posts. I don't know what gave you that idea.

I was responding to Marcia about what I believed saturneptune might have meant when you started commenting to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...........right. (cough)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.