1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texans, Calvinists, and KJVO's

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Orvie, Apr 6, 2006.

1. pituophis

pituophis New Member

I, like Dustin, am from next door to Texas. I love and enjoy Texas and maybe God will call me there some day. I am a Biblicist (embrace the doctrines of Grace = Calvinism)...which means I believe that the Bible teaches that God is Sovereign! I also believe that the KJV is not the best translation.

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

How could a Calvinist embrace the KJV? It clearly teaches that a sinner chooses right and wrong, and that salvation is free toa all. For a calvinist ro embrace the Word of God is for the FBI to embrace a drug dealer, for the cockroach to embrace the Orkin man, for the mob to embrace a judge, for a mechanic to embrace a Dodge, for a non-unionist to shop at Wal-mart. They all stand for opposite things. [​IMG]

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Many of the translators of the KJV were Calvinistic- and the Bible in any conservative translation teachs that God is ultimately sovereing in salvation.

4. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Hey, Hey, watch it, Texans are "Tennessee decendants", we shed a lot of blood for Texas, and still stick together, even if some were misled into "Calvinism" and away from the only Bible, KJV. :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Really? Actually, I migrated the other direction. When in college, I believed the pabulum they taught me about the modern critical texts until I learned to analyze and think through situations on my own. I even used the NASB for study and reading but I now use the KJV exclusively. Of course, I’m willing to bet that you don’t even know the reasons why I use the KJV.

Also, do you know why the sky is the color you see? Please explain. Wavelengths, the visual spectrum and the refraction of light are quite simple concepts. Furthermore, you may want to specify whether you are talking about the physical wave characteristics of light as color or the perception of color by the retinal cones of the eye.
    [​IMG] 안녕히 가세요

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

최후로 실소하는 그는 마지막 웃음이 있는다

[​IMG]

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I can't believe the claptrap posted on this thread. Some have loudly proclaimed that they could not find a Calvinist who was KJV. This just demonstrates the limits of their knowledge and the expanse of their ignorance. There are several that quickly come to mind. Reformed scholar R. J. Rushdoony (deceased) moved from a multiple versions position to a KJV position. He highly endorsed Edward F. Hills’ book defending the KJV. In fact, I think Hills, who wrote the classic work defending the KJV, was probably Calvinistic. More recently, Dr. Ian Paisley, MP (Free Presbyterian Church) wrote a book, A Plea for the Old Sword, defending the KJV. Also, Dr. Alan Cairns, pastor of Faith Free Presbyterian Church in Greenville, SC, is a staunch defender of the KJV. You can hear his sermons on sermonaudio.com. Nuff said.

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Yeah, but it's still too bad they ain't from Texas.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I know thats right.

10. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

God made these lonely acres where I ride alone,
    But the devil cursed this land with thirst
    And he bleached it like a bone.
    One day a wild tornado,
    Next a gentle dove.
    This, then, is Texas--Lone Star State of Texas
    This, then, is Texas--Land I love

11. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

12. Kilad

Kilad New Member

And yet another Texas joins the boards. Howdy Y'all.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Been to Texas. Way too flat. Why, even their "Grand Canyon" i.e. Palo somethingerother is just a tiny lil ditch comapred to our land. (Idaho) I've seen much of texas from three directions, north, west, east, and it is flat land. Cactus, scrub pine, grass, sage, rocks and wind. You can have it.

I am not calvinist. I am KJVO. and I am definitely NOT Texan, although my grandfather was born and raised there.

Have a blessed Resurrection day. (here's a little quiz for ya. WHEN was the resurrection? You lose 50 points if you say "On Easter".)

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Between when the Lord was entombed and when the women first arrived, early in the morning. Specifically, that year, it occurred on Nisan 17, by the Hebrew reckoning.

Or in other words, what we call Easter. Had to get that in, cause I want to lose those 50 pounds!! :D [​IMG] Oh, sorry! I misread! You said 50 points, not pounds. :eek:
    :confused: [​IMG] [​IMG]

In His grace,
    Ed [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I only need to lose about 5-10 pounds, but no points. What shall I do then?

How about if I say on the first Easter just after Passover about 1976 years ago? (Give or take a few years)

PS. I haven't lost any weight yet, and I can't find any of my points. :confused:

16. mioque

mioque New Member

"Some have loudly proclaimed that they could not find a Calvinist who was KJV."
    "
    For what it is worth, practically all adherents to the Dutch equivalent of KJV-onlyism (Staten Bijbel onlies) are very strict Calvinists.

And the Netherlands is flatter than Texas.

17. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Both down low, though...

18. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am from Ohio, have a son wkg. in Texas, am neither Calvinist nor Arminian, and no one in his/her right mind would dare call me KJVO.

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I am from Texas and very glad to be "from" there. We moved from border to border in that great state when I was growing up, but I spent most of my teenage years in Houston and have great empathy for the Wicked Witch proclaiming "I'm meeelllltttinnnggg." I did enjoy the El Paso area.

My son moved back to Texas to go to Seminary. When we visit I'm glad to come home to my adopted home of NC :D

I also like NASB, but I got an ESV this past fall and am enjoying it quite a bit.

And can someone explain to me what "claptrap" (see paidagogos post) is exactly (or do I even want to know????)?

Bitsy

20. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member