1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas Canyons Highlight Geologic Evidence for Catastrophe

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Jan 14, 2012.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I think the Gap Theory [Genesis} was popular among some in the 19th and early 20th centuries as a means of explaining the fossil layers. During the late 20th century to present those who hold to a catastrophic history of the earth and/or a literal interpretation of Genesis 1-11 show that the fossil layers were caused by the Noah Flood.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference between the two easily distinguished: the Gap Restoration Theory has absolutely no basis outside of a few verses which might contribute to a belief in it, and though I can still have respect for the teaching ministries of men who hold to this belief, I do not.

The "gap" between the 69th and 70th week is right in the very passage in which we are introduced to the seventy weeks, and there is a harmony in scripture concerning the many...many, passages which surround the events of the Lord's return, the restoration of Israel (the eventual goal in every instance in which the Lord jugded Israel), the indisputable fact that I srael was placed in a condition of blindness in the first century, that there is a time of the Gentiles which has an unspecified time-frame (which most agree has not ended and is usually called "the Church Age"), and the necessity to see prophecy concerning eschatological events to be fulfilled...

*deep breath*

...leading to the conclusion that the events described in Daniel 9 do indeed have a "gap" if that is the term which is chosen to describe this timeframe of judgment said to be for...Israel.

The spiritualization of many, if not most propetic passages concerning the Lord's return is a necessity to conclude that the seventy weeks prophecied for Israel were fulfilled consecutively is not often proposed, rather, a "gap" is inserted there as well.

As far as what Pink believed, I am not familiar with the man, though I hope to at least take a look at his views concerning the New Covenant, as a link was provided by another member. I tried to look at the link you provided, but there was an error, and I only have time enough this morning to just check in.

There have been a couple of threads I have participated in as touching this passage, and would be glad to discuss this issue.

I am not one that despises those that come to conclusions that are different than mine, and as I said, I have a great respect for McGee, though there are some things I hold different views than he on.

I do, however, think that if this discussion is pursued in an in-depth examination of scripture, we find that we can take scripture as it is written, such as the earth being created in 6 days. McGee, I think, was led in his conclusions by what can be some pretty convincing arguments concerning modern science which follows an old earth belief. It is reall a fascinating conversation, and to date, probably the best I have had is with an atheistic geologist, a fossil finder. I did not find one point that he raised which denies either a young earth, or a flood.

One point that came up was a point on whether in the flood fish could have survived, some being fresh water, some salt water, his point being that both would have died if in fact the fresh and salt water fish were then exposed to different water. However, I am one that believes that when the earth was new, the probability that not only men, but all things were of better make-up, such as fish being osmoregulators, herbs and vegetables having more nutrition (which would be in harmony with men living longer), et cetera.

I believe the world is winding down, and at a very fast pace. Before the explosion of advancement in medical science, and the introduction of antibacterial resources (and I am not sure that is the correct term), it seems to me that men lived very short lives, save perhaps in secluded cultures.

The destruction caused by the very culture we have produced alongside that scientific advancement seems to make it a wash, though.

Okay, sorry for the length, this is the only post I will be making today, so I guess I hate to shut up too quickly...lol. I have been spoiled in the last couple of weeks due to a back injury, but I am back to the grind, so I will be limited in my posting.

I believe this is correct. And I believe it has led many, due to some very convincing argument and theory, espececially in the 19th and early 20th centuries, to look for a means to combat "scientific proof."

The fact is, no such proof exists. We do not believe scripture due to empirical evidence, though we have God's word on this too, but we believe that God is true, and that if His word says He created the world in six days, then...we can accept that. Some body said, "Why did it take Him so long"...lol, good question. It could have been instantaneous.

So here is though I myself consider a possibility:

Six Days...1 Day of rest.

Six millennia...1 Millennia of rest.

I know this may sound silly, but I believe we have about six thousand years of earth history, that we are coming to the end of the 6th, and that the Millennial Kingdom will be the final millennia of...rest.

It is the temporal rest which I believe God promised to Israel, and it has yet to come about. For the promised Kingdom can indeed be considered "rest" for Israel, as well as the world. We will see a return to a pre-fall condition, and though it will not be the redemption of the "creature" in full, concerning the people of God, I do believe we can see the fulfillment of God's promises which are made specifically to Israel the people.

Okay, sorry for getting carried away, but as I said, this will be the only post I will probably get to make today, so...lol.

Hope everyone has a great day.

God bless.