1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thank Calvin for your freedom

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Let's be honest, Calvin himself had no knowledge of the country (US) which was to come. It was those who followed his teaching and the fact that they were persecuted where they were. They simply looked for a place to "live peaceably". I commend them, not for their theology, but for their courage to set out toward the "unknown"

"Calvinism is a scourge" may be a bit harsh, but remember, there are those whose passion "against" Calvinism, is equally as strong as your passion "for" Calvinism, so you seeking to be mature, spiritually and intellectually should recognize it for what it is.

"Calvinism the driving force behind this great nation" That is a statement of personal position and a great deal anecdotal. Many people contributed to the development of this great nation, even "heathens" and non-believers.

You seem to make a bone of contention, where there is no need to have one.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From an academic standpoint Jean Calvin has little influene on the founding of America. This isnt to say he doesnt have any, but its not as much as suggested by the OP.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Wow! People need to pick up a history book; one, that is, that has not been "secularized."

Yes, Calvin and his followers had a huge impact on the formation of the U.S. But no, Calvin is not "the" founder. Yet were God to have not chosen to use Calvin in such a way, there is no doubt that the U.S., if it existed at all, would look vastly different. The Christianity that founded the U.S. was Calvinist.

The bigger issue: I am amazed about how little people on here who bash Calvin know about him, and about Geneva. Someone said something about the harshness of Geneva, and that is absolutely laughable. Geneva might appear harsh by today's standards, but in the 16th century it was considered extremely tolerant. Even the Anabaptists and libertines were tolerated in Geneva in a way they were not elsewhere.

This tolerance is exactly why Servetus came to Geneva. He knew their were factions there that he thought would be sympathetic to his revolutionary ideas; people that would not be tolerated elsewhere. Servetus believed that when he went to Geneva, he could rally these people, and overthrow Geneva and Calvin.

Servetus was a mad man, and a revolutionary. He was put to death for promulgating heretical ideas, in a day that such was a method of revolution. The church was tied to the state (everywhere, not just Geneva) in a way that it was not today. I wonder if those who object to Servetus' execution, and are angry at Calvin's approval of it, realize how many lives that the council of Geneva probably saved by preventing rebellion? I wonder if they would likewise be angry at the hanging of Osama Ben Laden?

It is hilarious how, when someone says something people don't like, certain people demonize anything they do.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Be careful all. Nothing comes between Luke and his Calvinism!!!

:saint:

Hey Luke, if the plane you're on lands safely, what do you say?

1) Thank Calvin

2) Thank God

:thumbsup:

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, its all connected with the word Calvin.....didnt you notice how that works? Several months ago the bad word was Catholic. Youd get ripped apart if you were one or simply had sympathy for one. Youd get labeled as a heretic & bang, out the bloody door like the trash you are.....rotten Papist. I also saw them rip apart a guy for being a Charismatic.....God help him for saying so. Yes we are all God's children....only some are better than the others so we have license to rip them apart & be snotty to them. Oh yea, real Christian virtue at work on this board I'm thinking. Rather shameful behavior if truth be told. :(

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If everything Calvin did was predestined...how can he get any of the credit?

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I can't help myself. I was predestined to point out the errors of Calvinism. :tongue3:

9. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Give me a break. If John Calvin never existed there would still have been believers who advocated the doctrines of grace. I know that because they existed before, during, and after Calvin. In fact, things might be easier for us believers in the doctrines of grace since we wouldn't have to fight off the junk that goes along with the label "Calvinism."

The Reformation is probably the worst name for a movement in history. They didn't reform anything. The Catholic church remained just as corrupt after they were done as it was beforehand. All they did was form new demoninations. Wrong move. There were already believers holding to the truth.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Calvinism did play a role in the attitudes of many of the earliest settlers in this country. It is true that Calvinists were known for their work ethic.

Here is an interesting article concerning Protestantism and especially Calvinism's role in developing capitalism.

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Max_Weber#The_Protestant_Ethic_and_the_Spirit_of_Capitalism

However, there was also many negative and harmful attitudes they brought with them. They considered the native American Indians heathens, the unelect. This led to taking of their lands and slaughter in many cases.

Calvinism had a profound affect on America, good and bad.

11. SimpleMan

SimpleMan New Member

Almost sounds to me that people are worshipping "a man" and not the one that we truly need to worship and thank for everything, which is Christ, not Calvin or any other man. This is very dangerous to our spirituality and to the church. There have been a lot of great men throughout time and none of them are worthy of our worship, not even the greatest men in the Bible, except Christ. Paul warned people about this in several of his epistles and he wanted to make sure that people didn't exhalt him above Christ. When we take focus off Christ and put it on man, we've sinned. In the end, Calvin was only a man, who had flaws, temptations, and shortcomings like any other man. He had some good points and some not so good, in my opinion. That's what made him human. I study several different men of God throughout history and the impact that they have but ultimately I let the "Spirit of Truth" guide me, not man. Let's don't lose our perspective.

12. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ahhhhhh, but education is wasted on a man that is too ignorant to use it. Smart is also knowing when to SHUT UP!!!!

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

True words indeed!

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, well, actually, no. Providence Plantations was the name of the colony founded by Roger Williams in the area now known as the City of Providence.

Rhode Island, the other colonial settlement, was founded in the area of present-day city of Newport, on Aquidneck Island, the largest of several islands in Narragansett Bay.

The name Rhode Island probably originated with Adriaen Block, a Dutch explorer who, during his 1627 expedition, passed by Aquidneck Island, and described it in a written account of his travels as "an island of reddish appearance" (in 17th-century Dutch, "een rodlich Eylande"). Dutch maps from as early as 1659 call the island "Roode Eylant", or Red Island.

By the way, the official name of the state is still "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." A ballot referendum was on the 2010 ballot to change the name to "Rhode Island" but the people voted it down and the official name of the state is still "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." :)

15. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

So sorry I forgot to thank you last fourth of July. :)

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no doubt that John Calvin was long dead when our great country was founded, but there can also be no doubt that Geneva was an early example of self-governance in Europe and helped set the example that was followed by the founding fathers of this great nation. Founder? No. Influential regarding the thought processes of self-governance? Absolutely. :)

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You have a problem.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Good thoughts. However, historians do consider Calvin to be the founder of America as I have shown for reasons you enunciate and since the Pilgrims were Calvinists and the Puritans were Calvinists and most of the founding fathers were Calvinists.

The fact may not be palatable to some, but who cares? It is a fact nonetheless.

Facts are not contingent upon how they make people feel.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This may be the worst thing I have ever read on Baptistboard.

When you spit in the eyes of Calvin as you do here you might as well spit in the eye of the Pilgrims and the founding fathers. You might as wel spit in the eye of Spurgeon and Whitfield and Edwards.

You don't have to like everything they did. You don't have to agree with everything they believed. You can be against slavery and still honor George Washington. You can be an Arminian and still appreciate Calvin.

But I find your lack of respect for those who handed you what you have today to be disdainful.

Reformation is a fine term for what took place for two good reasons.

#1 It indicates the motive of the movement. It was not to separate from the Church but to reform it.

#2 It did reform THE Church. Not the Catholic church but the Church of Jesus Christ.

In one post you have dumped on one of the greatest Christians in history and the greatest Christian movement in history since the closing of the Canon.

I cannot believe it.

#99 Luke2427, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This post sounds to me like the ones in Corinthians who said THEY were not of Paul or Apollos but of JESUS! They were just as wicked as the others except they were pompous and holier than thou too.

No one is exalting Calvin above God. There's not a word in any one of these posts that even slightly indicate such a thing.

Do you thank the troops for your freedom?

Do you celebrate Memorial Day?

If so, then you are as guilty of what you accuse as those you accuse.

The fact of the matter is that it is perfectly reasonable to thank people for what you have. Troops, George Washington and John Calvin are among those that you OUGHT to thank.

God does not look kindly on holier than thou attitudes which turn men into ingrates.

God gets all the glory for everything but his Word teaches us to be grateful for others he uses to contribute to what we have as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.