1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thanksgiving on the Mission Field

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by MikeinGhana, Nov 22, 2005.

1. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

How do you celebrate Thanksgiving on the mission field? Do you have turkey? Do you watch recorded football games? Do you celebrate it with your church?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We do the full dinner, paying a FORTUNE for a turkey. We invite some Irish friends, mixture of saved and lost.

Every Thanksgiving evening we have a Thanksgiving Dessert Tea where we invite all of our friends and neighbours. We usually have about 50 folks call by through the evening.

3. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

A furtune for a turkey. I can relate to that. Just spent too much for a small one here in Ghana too.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The biggest I could get was 6.25kg, costs me almost €30 - thats about $2.49 a pound.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I paid $3.57 a pound here in MX. We're having Thanksgiving with another missionary family here in town. No football :( Found strawberries (fresh) on the street today for about 1.45 a pound, got 4 kilos, may have some atrawberry pie with the bird. We'll eat, give thanks, and probably sleep some too.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're having a joint Japanese Thanksgiving with our sister church (Missionary F. Musk, for those who know him). That will be today, Wednesday, the Japanese holiday, "Thanksgiving for Labor." :D This holiday was originally a traditional harvest festival.

We'll have incredibly expensive turkey, my wife's famous mashed potatos, pumpkin & apple and chocolate pie, etc. There should be a total of about 15 there from both churches.

Football? Well, we'll get no bowl games, but there is an NFL gave on in the middle of Thursday night that I can record. Believe it or not there is also a Japanese semi-pro league which will have the Rice Bowl (or something) around New Year's. ;)

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I'll watch some "one-on-one" football, what the Japanese call "sumo." [​IMG]

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

We will only get a football game if the boys set one up to play itself on Playstation NFL05 [​IMG] . Hey, there's an idea, paly one of the Thanksgiving Day games and see how close it comes out!

Wow! I am grateful for the $2.49 a pound turkey!! Do you guys know how much folks in the States are paying? I think their turkeys costs about $0.59 a pound.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We paid about 8000 yen ($70) for our 20 lb. turkey. That's about $3.50 per pound. Whew! Mexdeaf, you paid more and you're much closer to the good old U. S. of A. :eek:

Had a great time at our joint church turkey dinner with us 4 missionaries and 15 Japanese. The skinny Japanese believer across the table ate 8 pieces of pie!!!! :eek:

So, C4K, who would play who on the Playstation?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think they want to play the Denver v. Dallas game. They have an option where you can just set the two teams to play each other.

I still can't figure that game out, but the boys like it. We just want to set it to play and see how close it comes out to the real game [​IMG] .

The biggest turkey we could find was 6.25kg, but the supermarket kept messing up so they gave us a 1.5kg turkey breast to go with it for free.

11. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Paid $3.75 per pound and could only get an eight pounder. The largest they had! Football, you mean soccer?????

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Course I am talking on an American board so use their terms ;) .

Great football tonight in European Champions League play.

13. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Help wanted! American sick to death of soccer. Send me recordings of the real deal!!!!!

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can kicking a round ball around and never having a huddle be worthy of Thanksgiving?? :D

Enjoy the faux Denver vs. Dallas game, C4K.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Good news! For me, anyhow... My son just informed me that Mexican TV will be showing both NFL games tomorrow! EE Yabba Dabba Doo!

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sorry guys, I've been "corrupted." I love soccer.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

17. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Happy thanksgiving to you too, C4K. And "Thank you for giving to the Lord" Same to all the other missionaries, you are heros [​IMG] Is Thanksgiving a known holiday over there? Are you having some "natives" over?

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ain't God good? Enjoy, Mexdeaf.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Happy Thanksgiving, Bunyon (and everyone else).

Thanks for the kind words. I never feel like a hero. Just doing what God called me to. ;)

There is a "Thanksgiving for Labor" holiday in Japan, based on an ancient harvest festival.

Our Turkey dinner with our sister church went over great. Little Sara (11) and Soya (6) had turkey and the fixin's for the first time ever. Sara enjoyed the turkey--said it tasted like chicken. :D She also enjoyed lemon pie for the first time. Her little brother was enthusiastic at first, but everything looked quite different from his usual rice and fish, so he turned a little suspicious. Then he ate everthing with a knife--the thing that looked most like a chopstick to him, I guess! [​IMG]

We did have a visitor, Miss Yoshie, who stepped foot inside a church and heard the Gospel for the very first time. She is the friend of a member of our sister church, but lives near us, so we invited her to church. She seemed very friendly--hopefully she'll come.

And that is Thanksgiving in Japan!

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for the kind "hero" comment, but be assured we are just servants like those whom the Lord leads to serve Him there in the States. The only difference is geographical. Thank you for the kind and thoughtful words. It was blessing to read those thoughts.

Ireland does not do anything for Thanksgiving and even after all these years it seems funny that there is no difference between today and any other day in public.

We are having an Irish friend who has been coming to Thanksgiving for many years, and another family who have been coming for a couple of years.

Today the house will be packed. We are having a Thanksgiving Dessert Tea for our friends, neighbours, and others in for traditional Thanksgiving desserts and tea and coffee. No Americans coming in, but we will have about 50-60 folks show up through the evening.