1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The 2011 NIV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, Nov 30, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Read what I said, I stand on what I said.

#21 freeatlast, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where were Dever, this favorite SBTS professor, etc. when the NIV was censured at the Convention in Phoenix?

Not a peep from the floor (or platform!) when opponents of the resolution were invited to speak.

3. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read what you said.

You've stated that these liberals who use the NIV justify themselves against themselves.

By stating "your experience" and making it a universal rule (which it isn't) you are justifying yourself by yourself. And, in doing so, you are committing hypocrisy.

So, you may want to stand on what you've said, but actually you are falling because of what you've said.

The Archangel

4. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your information and/or recollection is incorrect.

The NIV condemned at Phoenix was the NIV2011, not the NIV84. Dever and the favorite professor (Dr. Steve Wellum) use the NIV84.

Also, these men are of the ilk and character that they would not be involved in an action so silly and petty (nor would I for that matter).

The Archangel

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So who spoke up against the "silly and petty" resolution?

Did they vote for it?

I watched the video and was shocked when not one Southern Baptist scholar, seminary president, etc. had the courage to publicly oppose the resolution.

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But tell me why the 1989 Pocket reference NIV Bible (which was sold for many years after 1989) is light years ahead of the 2011 NIV compact reference Bible? I purchased 2 1989 Pocket reference Bibles encase one wears out for this reason. I also own the study Bible but for a pocket reference Bible no bible beats the 1989 NIV bible.

Yes I agree with you about the ESV in some areas. Its a good translation but some of its wording are not correct. Try reading the gospels with the NIV and then the ESV to see what I mean.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not come from a IFB background. Yes I am in a IFB church, but care little about their bigotry when it comes to Bible translations. As far as I am concerned they cannot answer serious defenses with the NIV.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Millard J Erickson
    DA Carson
    Grant Osborne
    Mark Dever
    David Platt
    Hank Hanegraaf

the list goes on and on and on

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes and some of those deny a 6 day creation because the NIV is liberal thus they are liberal.

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen 1 (NIV)
    1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
    6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
    9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.
    11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
    14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.
    20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.
    24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
    26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
    27 So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.
    28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
    29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
    31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

Genesis 2(NIV) 1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
    2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Exodus 20 (NIV)
    11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

The NIV clearly teaches that God created the heavens and the Earth and all that is in them in six days. If anyone believes otherwise, it is in spite of what the NIV (or any other Bible version) says and not because of it. IMO, you just don't know what you are talking about.

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing ever said on BB. Pure crap.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

More garbage.

And what the heck is "conservative mainline" supposed to mean?

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Seriously. When will you quit?

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't feel it was necessary for me to quote your entire post covering the entire first chapter of Genesis. Facts are always obstacles in the path of lies.

Agreed TC. I hope he will apologize. Let's trust he will. Truth is important.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That link is absurd. The deceased was pushing his study Bible throughout and tried to tear-down the NIV. Mr. Littrell had an evil agenda. :The translators were men with little regard for the inspiration of the Scriptures."

He closed with this gem :"..it is more likely that not even one person,unaided would ever learn what to do [the be -- (sic)]saved just by reading the NIV."

You really need to engage in humbling yourself and confessing your sinful tirade against the God-honoring NIV. You may disagree with a lot of its renderings for whatever reason --but don't tell falsehoods. And please don't give links to websites that publish such junk.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well here is a link that will speak shortly about the NIV
    http://www.gty.org/MediaPlayer/sermons/90-380
    Just the first 4 minutes wll cover this issue if you are interested.

18. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

His take on the NIV as being liberal use only strikes me as similiar to those who try to position a KJVO stance, BOTH of them not proved by the allenged facts!

Just curious, what about the "truth" that THE Bible version for liberal mainlines christians is the NRSV, NOT the NIV, as when my pastor did his PHD work in NT theology, was REQUIRED by his profs to be submitted in the Rnsv only!

Bible of choice for the critical liberal NT scholars!

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You can't just decide that your belief is the standard of conservatism. In reality, you're so far off any sort of reasonable, biblical mark that you wouldn't know a conservative or liberal if it was in your bathtub.

And linking to these ridiculous links isn't helping your case. You're just trying to prove your fallacious argument by citing some of the weirdest, laughable, deluded, uninspired, and least-educated opinions you could find.

It's like you folks are living in some box in upper Saskatchewan and haven't been in touch with solid biblical study, textual criticism, exegesis, or hermeneutic in your entire life.

I know I'm going on and on about this, but it makes me so angry to hear professing Christians make the rest of us look like bumbling idiots who live with our heads so far up our posteriors that biblical understanding couldn't reach our brains without being attached to a laxative.

20. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still, total nonsense.

Let me ask you, freeatlast, which translation is your preferred translation?

The Archangel