1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Adoption is future, Romans 8:23.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, Mar 16, 2024.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The adoption is a teaching found solely in the Apostle Paul's writings.

Romans 8:15, . . . For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Romans 8:23, . . . And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

( 1 John 3:2, . . . Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. )

Romans 9:4, . . . Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; . . .

Galatians 4:5, . . . To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

See 1 John 3:2.

Ephesians 1:5, . . . Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, . . .

( Romans 8:29, . . . For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. )

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adoption is integral to so many aspects of our current relationship with God.
    Adoption is who we are when we are born anew in the Spirit.
    Without ADOPTION we are not children of God;
    We have no assurance of salvation.
    Without adoption God is not our Father;

The benefits of our adoption are a future event:
    Because of our adoption we will be inheritors.

Romans 8:15-17 NASB2020
    For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons and daughters by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
    Rob

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on these falsehoods are posted over and over. Romans 8:23 says we are looking forward to our "adoption" which refers to our receiving the full benefits as children of God.

We have already been made spiritual "children of God." (Romans 8:16, 1 John 3:1) But we do look forward to becoming physical "children of God" with our bodily redemption at Christ's second coming.

Note we have been spiritually "born anew" making us spiritual children of God.

The fallacy here is that the modern meaning of the English word used to translate the original Greek word is being claimed, when it is simply an import due to ambiguity.

Lets look at how the Greek word, "huiothesia" (G5206) is used in the N T.

At Romans 9:4 we see that God chose Israel to be His possession, thus being adopted to "sonship." Note these People must still be born anew to enter heaven.

At Romans 8:15 we see that our indwelt Helper, the Holy Spirit, was given as a pledge to our future physical redemption, thus the Spirit of Promised Bodily Redemption.

At Galatians 4:5 we see that God sent Christ that we might be redeemed (thus born anew) and having been born anew spiritually, we would be indwelt with the Spirit of Promised Bodily Redemption.

At Ephesians 1:5 we see that we were "predestined" to our bodily redemption when we were placed into Christ and born anew according to the good pleasure of His will.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first post here was a bit disjointed and unclear.
    I was visiting with my grandkids (3 months and 2 years old) and had been fitfully trying to sleep for a couple of days on a small lumpy couch...hence the midnight post.

I'm not quite sure what you consider "falsehoods", you pretty much said what I did.

Paul uses a number of different pictures to illustrate our union with the OT believers, adoption is one of them, grafting is another (Romans 11).
    New birth, "born anew", 'born again' is a NT image. To my knowledge it is not an image used in the OT.

The privileges of “adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the Law, the worship, and the promises” (Romans 9:4) were given to the remnant of the children of Israel,those who are of the faith of Abraham” (Romans 9:6-8; 4:16).

Some of the benefits were available to these children of God, others benefits (specifically the glory and the promises) were to be given in the future, they are held as an inheritance.

Paul tells the Gentile believers that through a like faith they experience the privilege of adoption. These Christians are also called the children of God (8:14; 16-17, 19, 21).
    As God’s children, they will be conformed to the image of God’s Son (Ro 8:29; 1 John 3:1-2). This promise of sanctification occurs in the present and is fulfilled in the future glorification.

1 John 3:1–2 (NASB 2020)
    See how great a love the Father has given us, that we would be called children of God; and in fact we are. For this reason the world does not know us: because it did not know Him.
    Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.​

Rob

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I did not pretty much say what you did. Our rebirth in Christ is not our promised bodily redemption.

2) Romans 11:4 says God's people were the believing people who had not abandoned Him.

3) Romans 11:14 clearly indicates some of the blood line Jews, same flesh as Paul, might be moved to become believers.

4) Thus the potential Jewish believers had not yet been born anew (saved) but were part of the people chosen to bring the promise to the world.

5) In Romans 9:4 we see God established a relationship with the Israelites, thus they became His children in the sense they were going to bring redemption based on faith to the world.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was frustrated when I tried to reason with my 2 year old grandson.
    I'm experiencing a similar frustration now.
    I'll bow out of this discussion after adding a blurb from a commentary which might point some readers to a conclusion.

Re: Romans 8:24-25:

Paul’s use of the aorist passive verb ἐσώθημεν (“we have been saved”) may seem somewhat surprising, particularly in a context that lays heavy emphasis on a Christian’s hope for the future. But here again—as with the tension between “the spirit of adoption” (πνεῦμα υἱοθεσίας) as a present possession of the believer (as in 8:15) and “our adoption as sons and daughters” (υἱοθεσίαν) as a future experience (as in 8:23)—the tension between “we have been saved” and “we will be saved” continues to exist in the life of every Christian and comes to resolution only at Christ’s parousia, when believers in Jesus will be resurrected and glorified, and thus become immortal.

Richard N. Longenecker, The Epistle to the Romans: A Commentary on the Greek Text, ed. I. Howard Marshall and Donald A. Hagner, New International Greek Testament Commentary (Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2016), 727–728.​

Rob [waving by]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism attempts to equate the Greek word translated "adoption" with being born anew in Christ. But they are two very different things.

Here the correct view:

The Spirit of Adoption can be better translated as the Spirit of Promised Bodily Redemption. Now that results in a lack of tension, for we have been saved (born anew) but we will realize the last facet of our salvation in the future when we receive our bodily redemption at Christ's second coming.

Romans 8:15 (Interpretive Translation)
    For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a Spirit of Promised Bodily Redemption as siblings by which we cry out "Abba Father."

Galatians 4:5 (Interpretive Translation)
    so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the Promised Bodily Redemption as siblings.

Ephesians 1:5 (Interpretive Translation)
    He predestined us to the Promised Bodily Redemption as siblings through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,

Romans 8:23 (Interpretive Translation)
    And not only that, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for the Promised Bodily Redemption, the redemption of our body.​

Note that it is only as born anew children of God, siblings of Christ, that we receive our indwelt Helper as a pledge to our promised bodily redemption. And note the complete lack of tension when viewed correctly.

And finally note that the relationship established with Israelite people (blood line of Abraham) did not result in their salvation, thus although called by Scripture "children or sons of God" they were not saved (born anew as siblings of Christ).

#7 Van, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  8. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are right, Numbers. Adoption is in the context of inheritance. Those who have been born again and baptized by the Spirit into the body of Christ become joint heirs with him because we are one with him and in him and he in us. However, in this context he is in heaven and the inheritance is in heaven and we cannot receive it unless we are with him physically in heaven. This is rather simple if you ask me.

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
    4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
    5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.