1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Anatomy of Divine Quickening

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Oct 19, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You got it! Alienation from the life of God through ignorance that is in them will remain until the cause for it is changed from "understanding DARKENED" unto "Light" and "blindness of heart" to "Revelation" and then only will there be the "light of knowedge of the glory of God IN THE FACE OF JESUS CHRIST" or KNOWING CHRIST which is eternal life - Jn. 17:2-3.

#21 The Biblicist, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personal revalation of scripture ...hmmmm......I was the enemy of God so you couldnt get me to read scripture. Scripture had as much appeal as a root canal. Never touched it prior to regeneration. I was a confirmed egoist.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

What was the "unbelief" that you claim to be convicted by the Holy Spirit then? Unbelief about what?

Are you telling me you were convicted by the Holy Spirit apart from any exposure to God's Word whatsoever? Are you telling me that you embraced the idea of God AFTER regeneration? If so, then what idea of God did you have that existed apart from the written revelation of God's Word?

How then would you fit the description of eternal life by Jesus in John 17;3? Are you saying Christ can be revealed to you, or that you can obtain knowledge of the true God and Jesus Christ apart from God's Word? How can you obtain knowledge of Jesus Christ apart from God's Word?

How would the idea of regeneration separate from God's Word of Truth fit 2 Thessalonians 2:13? Chosen to salvation THROUGH sanctification of the Spirit AND belief of the truth?

#23 The Biblicist, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, go easy buddy....Im just trying to figure this out more than anything. I did not truly believe in God or why would I sin so egregiously? My religious experiences were Catholic nuns & priests attempting to make me a proper Catholic for which they failed miserably....I really cant tell anyone I was part of the catholic church because I never really was a part of it to begin with. And since it was so rotten liberal & so works based, I assumed I had a lenience to sin.... just say an Act of Contrition & your all right with God again. Heck, everyone was doing it up here in New Jersey & NY, right. So even the stuff my mother tried to press us kids into faded away.

Bible, we had a family bible...it was tucked away in my mothers closet. I stayed far away from church till I was 29 & my wife wanted to get married in one.....so we went over to a PC-USA church & got hitched. Then when my son was born my mother & MIL started screaming at me to get the kid baptized so I dutifully submitted. Over the years we took Junior to various churches----but there was nothing in it for me.....nothing. My focus was business & makin the money & takin care of business. As soon as the kid got old enough, we stopped going as a family. There was nothin in it for anyone. Most of it was like Pastor Durant stated,,,, give us your hearts, your minds & your wallets. There was circumstances over the years that help lead us all to conclusions that God was better off knocking on someone else's door, because if he did ours.....we wouldnt answer the door.... atheism was creeping in. I hadnt gone to a church in years when I was saved.... I didnt look at a bible when I was saved, I was just convicted by a Preacher who lived in the 16th century in a sermon on my CD that day on the road to a University that I was taking other college classes. He told me to look at myself and evaluate if my behavior would categorize me as a Christian. He asked me if I called myself one, why did I abuse Christ. He reminded me what Christ did for me. In short, he made me feel low & ashamed. I could not shake that ....it haunted me, it exposed me & it made me feel ashamed.

I view that as the mark of the Holy Spirit....yes changing my heart.....giving me a conscience, slapping me around even. That is what changed a sinner like me.

Do I read my scripture now.... yes. Am I anywhere near people who seemingly have done it since birth...NO! But my faith is strong, my Christian growth spurts are at times mercurial....so you tell me Doc Wally, ah Biblicists.... your the theologian, what the heck is that radical change in spirit? From someone who could have cared less (I cleaned that up) to someone who cares deeply..... to someone who now believes & has Christ in his life & late in life too---I'm 56 Years Old. This happened when I was 53.

so bottom line this--I dont have any answers for you except I know it wasnt me pursuing God. That would have never happened that way. So you figure it out. Im pretty done with it.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Precisely! I also was exposed to scripture prior to my salvation and yet I was not looking or seeking God at all. I sat on the pew beside the door because it was the fastest exit from the church building. However, God came looking for me one Sunday Morning and did a work of grace inside of me that I had absolutely no control over. It was like the curtains were pulled back exposing my soul and laying it bare to the light convicting me of my sins producing in me a driving desire to find relief by fleeing to Christ in faith.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea & the amazing thing is that you & I didnt deserve this precious gift....that God in his intinate unfathomable mercy provided to ....sinners of all things. I felt like Peter "Leave me Lord" but here I am & here you are....works in progress. How great is that....how Great is this God we serve!

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I agree whole heartedly!

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watch Billy graham crusades 'religiously" as a teen, and also read the 'late Great planet earth", and watched the the rev rex Humbard on sun morning, before viewing my abott and costello...

Could recite back what I had heard from all of them to others, but did NOT know what it meant in a personal/saving way until the Lord convicted me, openned me up to the truth od the bible, and allowed me to see Jesus as the One to be my lord and saviour while in college!