1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Apostle Peter on the Second Coming of Our LORD

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, May 3, 2015.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If Jesus Christ paid the penalty of sin for all why are not all saved?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. Who knows? Only God.
    I know what you are saying seems logical to us.

But we can't ignore 2 Peter 2:1 and what it says, he bought men who were NOT saved.

Its seems from Romans 5 that we all shared in Adam's sin (one man) right then and there.

It may be that sin has a total price that had to be paid then and there in order that those who would believe could be revealed in the process of time.

The others are still His to do with as He pleases because He purchased all.

I purchased a bag of California cherries last week, some were to sour for me and I threw the sour ones away and ate the rest.

They were all mine by right of purchase to do with them whatever I pleased. To eat or throw away.

Proverbs 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

HankD

#142 HankD, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Because God gave man volition. He told Adam not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Adam had a choice. Eat and be separated from Eve or disobey God and die. He made the choice for Eve. Mankind has been having to make a choice ever since. Abel chose for God, Cain's offering was from his works, God said offer a blood sacrifice, simple choice but Cain chose to murder his brother instead of obeying God. Volition is seen in those early years. Christ paid for the sins of the world that is all of mankind and Christ said those who are condemned are condemned for one reason, unbelief that is rejecting the payment for their sin which Jesus paid.

4. OldRegular

I agree. That verse is very difficult to understand and I cannot explain it Even John Gill seemed to have problems with it! But then we have the following Scripture which are much more clear:

John 6:44, 45
    44. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    45. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

John 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

John 6:37-34
    37. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
    38. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
    39. And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
    40. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The question is: Why would Jesus Christ pay the penalty of sin for those whom the Father was not going to give HIM. I would make one additional point. I have read some people who say Jesus Christ would have suffered more if the number of elect were increased. I do not believe that. I believe Jesus Christ suffered the same whether GOD intended to save all or whether HE did not intend to save all! And I am probably in over my head!

#144 OldRegular, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  5. OldRegular

When Adam sinned man lost his free will. His will is in bondage to sin.

Romans 5:12. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Romans 3:23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

John 8:34. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree that man is now depraved, but not "total inability," or so depraved that he has no will. That is very difficult to prove from scripture, especially in the light of all of the Lord's commands to unsaved man to: repent, come unto me, believe on me, etc.

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

We all have a Dominant old sin nature, until we call upon the name of the Lord for Salvation, then the Holy Spirit is to be dominant.

But Paul made it clear we must call upon the Lord for Salvation, Romans 10:13.

But after Salvation we chose everyday to walk with God or sin our choice. But we still have an Old Sin Nature, it brings temptations to us every single day, and we must choose to resist or give in.

Paul says and actually gives us the C.W.O.L. ( Christian Way of Life) in Ephesians 5:18 "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;" In other words don't allow sin to control you as wine would but allow the Holy Spirit to control.

How do we do this, 1st John 1:9 makes it clear, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

If we as believers confess our sin God forgives them. Name them to Him each and every time we commit sin and He will forgive and cleanse us from all the sins we have committed that we don't realize are sins.

We have free will (volition) everyday even as believers, we choose to sin or not sin. And if we sin (and we do) we must choose to confess those sin in order to restore our fellowship or walk with God.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C vs. A : We don't have all the facts.

I remember seeing this on the news a few years ago:

The commentator said he would tell us a short story with an ending that required an explanation.

He told the news story and went to a commercial break saying he would give the ending when he came back.

Story: A California orange farmer reported that after 20 plus years, this year he raised a crop of oranges that was the largest crop of oranges he had ever raised.
    However it was also the smallest crop of oranges he had ever raised (simultaneously).

Explanation: Next post

HankD

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explanation: Because of the unusual amount of rain that year the oranges were the largest in size ever.

But because of their size the crop contained the smallest number of oranges ever.

Without the explanation the story is a riddle.

So it is I believe with the supposed "tension" between God's sovereignty and man's responsibility to God.

There is missing data that we probably couldn't understand any way:

And I agree with OR, when it comes to trying to figure out God we are in way over our heads.

Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

HankD

#149 HankD, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

God gave us His word, in that word is His plan ast least as much as He wants us to know. Then for this the Bride, that is the church He gave the indwelling Holy Spirit, He also allows us to be filled with the Spirit when we have sin confessed and we are walking with Him, thus Paul said this:

1 Corinthians 2:13-15,
    13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
    14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man."

God has given us the ability to discern Spiritual things, that is when we aren't operating the flesh and operating in the Control (filling) of the Holy Spirit. If we have the Holy Spirit to reveal things to us how can we be in over our heads. We just need to be in tune with Him. Now do we know everything of course not, even Paul said he had not fully attained all that god had for us.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer to OldRegular:

HankD
    No, the given passage does not directly address the church, the body of Christ in which both Jews and Gentiles will be brought together as one into the body of Christ. We are now distinct but not separated from each other by the "wall of partition" and free to go through the opened veil into the very presence of God together with our high priest Jesus Christ.

Aha!

HankD Even the apostles and disciples were astonished that Gentiles were to be welcomed into the kingdom without circumcision or the keeping of Torah.
    Peter gives his account concerning how the Holy Spirit fell upon uncircumcised Gentiles:

Acts 11
    17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
    18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Indeed, it is so to this very day, however, messianic Jews tell us that Jewish believers coming to Christ are in similar proportion to Gentiles where the gospel is allowed to be preached. Roughly 3 to 5% of hearers will be saved.

The point therefore is that 1) Gentiles are similarly stiffnecked resisting the gospel today and 2) a few ethnic Jews are being saved today.

Reason: We have both descended from our stiffnecked father Adam.

HankD

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed - We must walk in the Spirit and we do not know everything.

HankD

13. OldRegular

The point made in the OP sort of got lost so I thought I would Rapture it!

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I resurrect my response from post #4

See there you go, you miss the entire point.

Paul says the church meets Christ in the air in both 1st Thessalonians and Corinthians. That would be the Rapture. Peter is describing what we see after the Tribulation and 1000 year reign as clearly seen in Revelation.

Chapter 21 of Revelation. Verse 1 “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.”

Let’s go to Peter and see what he had to say about this new heaven and new earth. 2nd Peter 3: 10 “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,”
    1. Peter says this earth which we live on will melt with fervent heat.
    2. All the human works will be burned up.
    3. He states “Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved.”
    4. Since all will be dissolved that man has worked for, Peter exhorts us with this question.
    5. “What manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness?”

All of this is backed up with O.T. Prophecy,

Fulfillment of Old Testament scripture, Isaiah 65: 16 “That he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes. 17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.” Coupled with Isaiah 66: 21 “And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD. 22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.”

Peter is indeed speaking of the second coming which will take place a the end of the Tribulation seen in Revelation 19 and then following the 1000 reign as laid out in Revelation 20 we see the New Heaven and the New Earth, Jesus makes it perfectly clear in the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

15. OldRegular

So according to you, even though the Glorified Jesus Christ has been reigning on earth for 1000 years the Apostle Peter writes to Christians:

2 Peter 3:1-4
    1. This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
    2. That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
    3. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
    4. And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Now if Jesus Christ in all HIS Glory has been reigning on earth for 1000 years with the Saints in Glorified bodies then obviously people can not be saying:

Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. You say above that HE is already here.

Furthermore, if Jesus Christ in all HIS Glory has been reigning on earth for 1000 years why would the Apostle Peter write:

2 Peter 3:10-14
    10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
    12. Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    13. Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
    14. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Peter is writing to Christians but according to you the ones Peter is talking about are already in resurrected and glorified bodies and have been living and reigning with Jesus Christ in all HIS Glory for 1000 years and are obviously in peace, without spot, and blameless.

The Apostle Peter is indeed describing the Second Coming but not at the end of 1000 year reign on earth but at the end of HIS reign in Heaven with the Saints who have already died!

#155 OldRegular, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

When Christ reigns in 1000 year Kingdom there will be people who are physically alive. They are the sheep of that were separated from the goats. The goats were put to death while the sheep were alive and go into the Kingdom.

17. OldRegular

So these sheep with all the resurrected Saints in their glorified bodies are on earth in which Jesus Christ in all HIS Glory reigns and after 1000 years they say: Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Remarkable how far you will stretch credibility to defend the indefensible. Sort of like you trying to defend your claim that the Seven Year Tribulation would redeem the earth.

18. OldRegular

The problem is, in my opinion, that the doctrine of the pre-trib-"snatching away" of the Church led to the despicable doctrine that the Church is a "parenthesis" an intercalation in GOD's program for Israel. Scripture tells me that Jesus Christ died for the Church. I don't recall that Scripture says HE died for national/ethnic Israel of whom Scripture tells us in the words of Stephen as he was being stoned by the Jews:

Acts 7:51, 52
    51. Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
    52. Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

Stephen did not pull any punches did he?

Now if someone could just refute what Peter said in the OP instead of raising a cloud if barnyard dust shuffling their feet!

#158 OldRegular, May 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

You continue to deny his coming for a 1000 year reign not me. Believers have fallen asleep and still are. And things continue right now the way they have since creation. What is so hard about that? Then He will come and the church snatched out. The Trib as Daniel predicted and seen in Revelation 6-19 will happen, people will go through the wrath of God for 7 years. Then Christ will come to earth and the ressurection of the Tribulation saints and O.T. saints will occur. And they will live and reign with Christ for 1000 years, Revelation 20 is clear, those who are resurrected at the second coming will be resurrected at the completion of first resurrection.
    Then we see what Peter said about a new Heaven and New Earth is fufilled in Revelation 21.

Right now we are told Christ is seated at the Right Hand of God the Father waiting on the Father to make His enemies His footstool. That occurs in the Tribulation.

20. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious what you mean by this. Are believer who have died, unconscious? Are they unaware of anything? Are they in limbo until the end?