1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Apostle Peter on the Second Coming of Our LORD

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, May 3, 2015.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Biblical term Peter used in the scripture. They have died and the body and soul separated. For the believer the soul and living spirit are seperated from the body.

If you believe in a resurrection whether pre-trib, mid-trib post -trib or as the amil the body will come to life is a resurrection form and thus be awakened from the sleep of death.

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the souls of believers doing after? Are they conscious?

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Right now I am trying to get you, or anyone else, to answer a simple question. If the people that Peter is talking about have been living on earth during the so-called millennial kingdom why does Peter say they ask:Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

The people can't possibly be so stupid that they do not understand that the Saviour, Jesus Christ, in all the Glory of the Godhead has been reigning from Davids throne for 1000 years if as you say in post #4:

They could not ask Where is the promise of his coming? since HE has been here for 1000 years. Seems to me that this is a question you should be able to answer!

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Concious and in heaven. Paul says absent from the body present with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The people that Peter is talking about are not in the Millennium it is those living today who question His coming. Many teach it is those who question His coming at the rapture, that is how the pastor I grew up taught it.

Many people in this present age question His coming. Many say it has been almost 2000 years and He hasn't returned. But He said He would return for those who are His. Peter said many "Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation."

6. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good answer just wanted to make sure we were on the same page there.

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That is something every believer should know, but I have run into to some who believe in soul sleeping.

8. OldRegular

#168 OldRegular, May 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

11. OldRegular

Peter is talking about the Second Coming. At that time there will be a general resurrection and judgment. Peters use of symbolic language {wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?} is used to describe either the renewal of the earth as Paul discusses in Romans 8 or simply the New Heavens and New Earth as discussed in Revelation 21. I believe it is the latter!

12. OldRegular

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Really????

Here is the second coming:

Revelation 19:11 "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
    12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
    13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
    14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
    15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
    16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords.
    17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
    18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.
    19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.
    20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
    21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh."

After the defeat of the Beast, Kings of the Earth and their armies we see.

Revelation 20:
    2 "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection."

This is the Kingdom.

Very clear the Armies following Him where do they follow Him? To the earth and then the Tribulation saints who died are resurrected and reign with Him 1000 years as well as those who trusted Christ as their savior and then comes the resurrection of the dead. This is very clear.

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

15. OldRegular

I will repeat my post #168 so perhaps you can respond to it directly as I requested.
    That is false and you know it. You have said repeatedly:
    You say in post #4 that Peter is speaking about what happens after the supposed 1000 year earthly reign of Jesus Christ with the resurrected Saints. Yet you say in the post #165 that the people Peter are addressing are not in the supposed millennial kingdom but those living today. If Peter is talking about what happens after the millennial reign how in the world can he be addressing people of today? If the 1000 year reign has occurred there are no people of today. There are no people left to run around saying Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. After the 1000 year reign people are either in the Lake of Fire with Satan or in the New Heavens and New Earth! Man you are running around in circles chasing your tail!

If Peter is talking about what happens after the millennial reign how in the world can he be addressing people of today? If the 1000 year reign has occurred there are no people of today. There are no people left to run around saying Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. After the 1000 year reign people are either in the Lake of Fire with Satan or in the New Heavens and New Earth!

Unwittingly you are making the point that Peter cannot be talking about a previous millennial kingdom. He certainly cannot be talking about the beginning of the so-called millennial reign as the following Scripture shows. He is talking about what happens when Jesus Christ returns in Power and Glory for the general resurrection of all that are in the graves and then to conduct the White throne Judgment!

9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
    10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
    12. Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

See my post 170!

17. OldRegular

Post 170 answered nothing. It was a lot of verbiage strung together with Scripture that did not address the issue.

You state in your post #4 and thereafter:
    Then in your post #165 you say:

I respond in post#168 as follows:

You are proposing an impossible scenario. But that is the history of the pre-trib-"snatching away" of the Church dispensationalism.

18. OldRegular

Where O where did the little dispies go. O where, O where, did they go!

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

We answered you say nonsense and so no debate needed. You seem just want to say nonsense or some other answer and never give an answer. Besides my post 170 answered you and you failed to replay so where oh where is the true debate. OR receives answers doesn't like but won't offer a reason for his objection.

20. OldRegular

The reason for my objection is that you answer nothing! I posed two questions in the OP. You have answered neither

Furthermore, Peter is not talking about the end of the 1000 year earthly reign of Jesus Christ who is sitting in the Glory of GOD on David's throne in the rebuilt Temple. The obvious event that Peter is describing are those things that occur when Jesus Christ returns, there is a resurrection of all the dead, followed by the White Throne Judgment and the New Heavens and New Earth!