1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "ask God all your questions" advice

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 21, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Often I get this advice which is like "Hey, why do you ask all these questions to men, why do you not ask God?" and this sounds so godly and wise. But the problem is that it's not like all I have to do is direct a question at God and then I directly get an answer. After all, if every christian directly asked God about whatever spiritual question he has and God also gives the right answer and there can only be 1 right answer then all christians would agree on virtually everything! But this is not the case. But this doesn't make any sense. Why should God give christian A a different answer than christian B to questions which only have 1 correct answer? If there is only 1 answer then God can only give 1 answer and then all christians would agree when it comes to OSAS,speaking in tongues,being slain by the spirit,the rapture,destination vs. free will. But they do not agree. :tear:
    I don't understand this. Does God like this confusing multitude of answers and interpretations? Does God like it when there are many different opinions? I think this sucks. I only want 1 answer, the right one.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

God in to the Author of confusion. We have an active enemy in Satan that seeks to confuse the matter.

Everything we need to be successful in the eye's of God in living a victorious Christian life has been given to us in Scripture. You are absolutely correct in that there is only one Truth contained in Scripture. And it is our quest to pursue that singular Truth.

There are a variety of reasons why there is so much confusion in the world today. You have to seek the Truth will every fiber of your being. The Holy Spirit has been given to lead you into that Truth and you must believe and obey when that Truth is given to you.

Now on your journey for the Truth there are stumbling blocks that will be placed in front of you by Satan, by the world and by your own flesh.

I think it it possible to have the right overall picture of Scripture, but I just don't think there is enough time to plug in every single detail in the picture in this lifetime, but that is what we should be striving for.

I either heard or read something recently that said if a Christian is not contstantly changing and tweaking his views then he is stopped learning. That doesn't mean that you are changing the big picture (although there are a number that need to make that change), but once you have the big picture down you are making tweaks and changes to the details as you continue to learn.

Hope that makes sense. But there really is no definitive program to follow or how to guide. You just pray with all sincerity and trust that God will answer your request.

If you want to know His Truth He's not going to keep it from you. It's not all going to be revealed all at once, but if you will continue seeking then more and more will be opened up to you as you grow.

3. bmerr

bmerr New Member

xdisciplex,

bmerr here. You make an excellent point. God would not give different answers to the same question. It is the very fact of denominationalism that proves that the Holy Spirit does not guide all Christians into all truth. If He did, there never would have been any denominations, only the church which we read about in the New Testament.

Since inspiration ceased, the doctrine of Christ has been brutalized by the interpretations and doctrines of men. Some folks "tweaked" one way, and bishops were suddenly viewed as superior to elders. Someone else "tweaked" another way, and the Divinity of Christ was called into question. Councils were convened, creeds were issued, confusion grew...

On and on it went, until, voila! - the Roman Catholic Chruch was developed. An almost complete departure from simple NT Christianity.

Then the Reformation Movement happened. A noble effort, to be sure, but again, more "tweaking" and "twisting", until there were Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, etc, etc...all born of man's interpretations and overemphasis of this or that Scripture.

Creeds and church manuals abounded, until the Restoration Movement, when men determined to lay aside the doctrines and creeds of men, and return to the Bible as the only source of truth, to speak where the Bible speaks, and be silent where the Bible is silent. Just take it for what it says. What a concept!

Many of the doctrines espoused on these boards are ones that those men determined to leave behind. Not because they didn't like them, but because they weren't taught in the Scriptures. Many of those men were baby sprinklers, and had to renounce the practice. That's just one example, there are many others.

When it comes to Bible topics, be from Missouri: The Show Me State.

In Christ,

bmerr

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

"I only want 1 answer, the right one."

Jesus is the right answer. I'm not saying that to be cute, but its the truth!. If you can get your hands on a topical bible and a good Strongs concordance you could easily find some of the answers to the questions you ask. I know because at one time I had some of the same questions. My aunt gave me a concordance and I began looking up words about what my questions were about and got alot of right answers. But I have to commend you because you will ask the questions and you are hungry for doing things right! :thumbs:

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

(hi Tater, I see you reading this thread, hehe)

XDis, it's because we're not perfect and do not have perfect understanding. The scriptures tell us we do not know all, but they also tell us to seek and study.
    That's just a part of Christianity we all to deal with...not having the same answers to some of the same questions. That's just gonna keep happening, no matter how much you desire it not to be so.

There are clear matters in the bible, called the "fundamentals" (such as Christ born of a virgin, salvation by grace through faith, etc.) but the rest? Have fun studying. :smilewinkgrin:

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi!

Basically there are 2 problems.

1) Even if I study the bible concerning a certain question and then come up with an own conclusion I would not be able to simply keep it when I hear a more experienced christian say something different. I would become insecure and think that most likely I am wrong and he is right.

2) Isn't it the case that once we have an opinion about something it is much harder to simply let go of this opinion than to get a new one? If you have learned the mainstream christian answers and doctrines and then come across something which is very different then you will most likely not be able to let your old opinions go, even if the new doctrines were right. You won't do it because sticking to mainstream doctrines feels "safer" because believing in rather unpopular doctrines is scary somehow because it sounds secterian. Just look at the example with Andrew Wommack. He teaches things which are pretty different to mainstream christianity and the solely fact that it's very different already makes it much harder to accept. Even if he was right I don't think I would dare changing my beliefs because I would rather stick to the majority because even if you're wrong then you still belong to the majority. Do you know what I mean?
    When somebody comes up with doctrines which are not very popular then people are not very likely to accept them even if he is right. They will rather stick to what they have already learned, I think this is also a protection mechanism because if you allowed your whole doctrines to be challenged regularly then you would most likely freak out because it would be too stressful to examine and to test everything all the time and to risk getting cracks in your foundation. Once you have a foundational set of doctrines you will simply hold on to them because they also guarantee stability. Questioning your foundation will make you become unstable and people don't want that. I think this is also the problem of somebody who was raised as a muslim or a mormon. They have their foundation and letting go of everything they believed is true i really a huge step because you lose your foundation and your stability.

7. genesis12

genesis12 Member

That's true. Now realize what you have written. Once YOU have a foundational set; YOU questioning YOUR foundation will make YOU unstable.

That's a vicious circle to get trapped in.

Scripturally, YOU don't create your foundational set! HE does. He does that as you become more and more grounded in the faith. You don't become more and more grounded in the faith by being tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine. These forums aren't going to satisy the longing that is obviously within you. It's a worn-out but time-honored phrase: Let go, and let God! Buy a NASB or NKJV or NIV Study Bible. Use it only! Eventually, buy ONE commentary. Toss the rest, mentally and physically.
    :thumbs:

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But when I read the bible and do not understand something and then either use a commentary or listen to a sermon about a topic which I don't understand then I once again rely on others and adapt to the opinion of others. It's impossible to figure out everything alone. Even if you use a commentary. The commentary also represents the opinion of men.

9. genesis12

genesis12 Member

That's why it is important for you to assemble with others of the faith. By their fruits ye shall know them. In some cases some of those who appear to be "of the faith" are real fruits (nutty fruitcakes). It is the Holy Spirit who leads one unto a discernment of spirits. Continue to grow! :thumbs: