1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Baptist bride

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Does anyone here believe that the bride of CHrist will ONLY be those in Baptist or baptist like churches?

To rephrase, do any believe that you can be truly saved but not a part of the bride of Christ?

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

These are two different questions.

3. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Agreed. No to the first question, yes to the second. The bride of Christ are those that are his. There is the matter of Old Testament saints, but I believe that they too must be in the Lamb's Book of Life.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    used to believe that. not anymore.
    no.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Not really. I am only talking about NT christians.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope.

I've always believed that "the Bride of Christ"=the Church=those who were of the elect=those who were saved...so no

But I don't believe that Baptists are the only believers.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No---to question 1

To be truly saved is to be truly a part of the bride---you cannot have(be) one without the other

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I first heard the idea of the Baptist Bride about 35 years ago. The old preacher who explained it to me related it to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. He said that only Baptists would be seated, since they were part of the true Bride. All other believers, not members of a true NT church, would just stand around and watch.

The question here is not about true believers, but about what constitutes a true New Testament church. By definition those groups which teach baptismal regeneration or a works salvation do not qualify. They are not, even if some of their members are saved despite those teachings.

What if a church teaches apostasy--that it is possible to lose one's salvation? Do they qualify? What about those churches which attach saving grace to the elements of communion? Are they true churches, even if some of their members are saved? What about those who deny the Trinity? The Deity of Christ?

Are there other denominations or even non-denominational churches which come closer to Christ's teaching than Baptists? Don't think so.

And further, just how much error can a church or denomination teach and still qualify as a true NT church? The answer to all these questions will determine your answer to the OP.

In our cum-ba-yah culture today, there is a great reluctance to say that other denominations are in error. Not wrong, we say, just different. As in, "they have a different truth."

Paul should have been nicer to the Judaizers.

9. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Tom Butler

That is just such an arrogant claim.

We all see through a glass dimly. All denominations think that they are the closest to what is in the bible. What actually makes us any different?

As much as I love going to a baptist church, I will not pretend or proclaim to know everything. I think that is a mighty dangerous claim to make. Its been a long time since Christs Church (one church) was established. There have been dark ages where commonfolk had no access to a bible, and ages without any established baptist churches altogether.

It is very good to stand up for the truth, but stating that only baptists make up the bride is something different altogether. Maybe this is how it will be, but I sincerely doubt it, and I really doubt that you can give scripture backup for this. Im willing to bet that even your best baptist church resembles little to what churches 2000 years ago looked like. At least, this is what I gather from reading Acts. They seemed a bit more communal back then.. a bit more ... fruitful.. A bit less arrogant. A bit less rude.

The truth is that all denominations are wrong in some areas. And Baptists are no exeption to this.

#9 Emily25069, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Whoa! So only us Baptist's are right? Cool, goes right along with my mother's statement that she must be right cause she was born a Wright! :laugh:

FTR, I agree with Blackbird.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

So, Tom, please clarify: are you saying that a person can be saved but NOT a part of the bride of Christ?

So there are three types of people then:

The unsaved
    THe Saved by grace
    THe saved by grace and part of the bride by works.

So we are saved by grace but we get the special "bride" status by our wonderfully Biblical doctrine and holiness?

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The assumptions of this question deserve a few head butts. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We're talking past each other here.

Let me clarify my position. I am not a Baptist Bride kind of guy. I believe that the future general assembly in heaven, and at the marriage supper of the Lamb, will be a gathering of all believers. The work of the local church will have ended with his Second Coming, and it will have ceased to exist. We will all know the truth and there will be no more divisions among us.

Call this great assembly the Bride if you like, for that's what John calls it in Rev 19:9. But note that this prospective assembly remains just that--prospective--until then. And note that for the first time, it actually assembles--no longer a fantasy, no longer useless and dysfunctional, no longer divided.

Now, to answer DaleC's question, can one be saved but not part of the church. If you mean local church, the answer is yes. The New Testament clearly shows that all church members were baptized.

We agree on the fact that we are saved by the work of the Holy Spirit. My view is that such Spirit baptism places us into the kingdom. I have to be consistent here. In my view, such Spirit baptism cannot place us into a Universal Church, since it does not exist.

One final clarification. By Spirit baptism, I do not mean baptism BY the Holy Spirit. I mean baptism WITH or IN the Holy Spirit.

#13 Tom Butler, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Those who believe that the bride of Christ will only be those in Baptist churches are called "Baptist Briders". All born again New Testament saints are part of Christ's bride. The Bride of Christ is not "Baptist"...but all those who have been redeemed by His blood.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm not really going anywhere with this, simply asking for opinions.

In Rev 19:8-9, it looks as if we the bride, the wife who has made herself ready for the marriage supper. The "voice of a great multitude (v 6) then says "blessed are they who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb."

What do we have here? Do we have two things here--first, the bride, then those who are invited to the marriage supper? Can this be interpreted as the bride, and guests, in other words?

Just curious.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the first question--Nope, I'm not Baptist bride believer. I've met some who believe this way and I think they are adding to scripture. It's not what's over the church door that saves me, it's Who is in my heart.

To answer the second question, I believe anyone who is a true believer (saved) is part of the bride of Christ and will be at the marriage supper.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If the Baptist bride theory were true, it would be quite a sad standard to present to the Lord. What percentage of our NT Baptist church members attend church once a week? What percentage of those on a Baptist roll are going to be sitting in hell someday?

Man made institutions do not define the Bribe of Christ.

#17 saturneptune, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  18. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew a guy that espoused the Baptist bride view. He actually said that the others there were not just watching the Baptist bride from the sidelines, but were serving the Baptist bride and IFB pastor Jesus.

#18 TC, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am thankful for my own salvation and sit in judgement on no one else's. My home is Baptist, but let every man be persuaded in his own mind.

Rev 5:9And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

BBob,

20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I am one that am unabashedly Baptist. I have always accepted the views of friends that attended other denominational assemblies and have determined that the faith of eternal security is rare among those that follow other doctrine. Friends or not, when it comes to believing that my Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the Living God is unable to keep me as His then I have to wonder about a friends faith in Christ. During a visit to a friend that was going through chemotherapy who happens to be Catholic, I was pleasantly surprised when he began to share his faith in Christ as he dealt with his battle with cancer. In short it was a testimony of his belief in Christ for salvation and healing.
    So yes I believe that the Bride of Christ will consist of brothers and sisters of various denominations that have put their full trust in His grace for their salvation.:godisgood: