1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Baptist Split Of 1832

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by tyndale1946, Feb 24, 2003.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Tyndale,

I have heard some hard to believe things, but

I did not think that all Baptists have believed the same thing since the first ones left Holland and went back to England ...

In Christ,

2. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

We have a good example of the missions split in our area. One of the sister churches (United Baptist) has a Missionary Baptist church across the highway and a Primitive Baptist (from which it split) down the road. I believe both these buildings stay vacant almost all the time, though.

J.M. Peck was involved in our association in the beginning (1816) but then he wasn't involved a few years later. When we took the name 'United Baptist' back around 1829, some members left because that meant to them we weren't missionary nor primitive. History books usually label us antimissionary.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    this sounds like a good subject to bump

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW, from reading local history and talking to the ol' timers over the years, it was by far the 'Campbellite movement' that was the most violent and caused the most damage to the Baptists here in Central KY. OTOH, the 'missions split', IN THIS AREA, was more of a peaceable drifting apart over time, with the older generation sharing sanctuaries with the younger, and each attending one another's meetings.

#84 kyredneck, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  5. thisnumbersdisconnected

My impression from reading of the schism is that the Primitives and other so-called "hardshell Baptists" is that they rejected all forms of outreach, evangelism, preaching, teaching to and praying for the unsaved, etc. I understand from talking to some Primitives on here is that these "hardshell" churches continue to believe the same, that evangelistic outreach is unbiblical.

I'd leave a church like that, too.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think that "rejected all forms of outreach" would be an accurate representation of their beliefs, but instead that they rejected what they considered extra-Biblical, extra-church and "man-centered" innovations in evangelism.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primatives have been known to be anti-evangelism for a long long time.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thank you. you are not far from the truth.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is PrimItives. Not PrimAtives.
    Depends on why you evangelize.
    if it is for the purpose of getting people saved TO heaven, you can have it all.
    If it is for the purpose of preaching the gospel to those who know it best, and love it, and have an appreciation for it, then that's different.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a discussion forum, not a debate forum. Only civil posts are allowed, and there is no need to denigrate others' beliefs.

Thank you.

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't believe I started this thread more than 10 years ago and it is still going and I've not changed my belief in over 10 years. Pardon me but I think I'm going to cry!