1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Battle for Spurgeon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Mar 11, 2006.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do arminians and "biblicists" fight so hard to make Charles Haddon Spurgeon their ally in the Calvinist/Arminian debate? He was a full 5-pointer, and made no bones about it. Why do some of you desire so desparately to make him into an arminian? He is but a man, is he not?

2. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the opinion of Spurgeon and his preaching has been sevearly downgraded in recent years.

Regards
    Bob

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mayybe because.....misery loves company ? ;)

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not aware that anyone you would take seriously has accused Spurgeon of Arminianism. Could you elaborate?

5. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

Bob, were you attempting to make a pun referring to the Downgrade Controversy? If so, you did a good job! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I haven't heard anyone even try to make this connection, but maybe I've missed something. OR maybe what I understand about Spurgeon has colored what I've heard and read. I'd love to see a bit of elaboration too.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Although I am not a Calvinist as in 5 point Calvinist,I am not a 5 point Arminian either.I read more from those who are Calvinist Writers(Spugeon,Gill,Calvin,Barnes) then from others in the classical writings.So what, I keep the good and through out the bad.Last I checked this is a free country and I am free to do my reading as I please.I consider myself a BIBLICIST.I know according to many Calvinist that makes me Arminian so what,they are not the jello sheriffs of the world.I don't know anything they do that keeps anybody from getting saved,they are not cultic so I can live and fellowship with them.

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for the mix:

One reason Spurgeon was a Soteriologic Calvinist was that he read with great love the old Puritans and their theologies. They influenced him greatly.

sdg!

rd

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Is that a Spurgeon quote or a Plain Old Bill original [​IMG]

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Actually the jello sheriff came from Bill Cosby in one of his comedy routines I heard about 30 years ago.

11. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, were you attempting to make a pun referring to the Downgrade Controversy? If so, you did a good job! [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]In part, yes, but also there is the point that many claim Spergeon simply because he is a major Baptist figure in the not too distant past. Difficult to think of another with such a high profile except for maybe Billy Graham. And many make the claim, association withoutreally reading what he wrote, or by 'cherry picking' bits that appeal to their point of view. He preached, taught for quite a period of time, and somewhere there will be someting that can be quoted, or mis-quoted, tomake a point.

Regards
    Bob