1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The best Christmas foods

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by mcdirector, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My wife insist on having fruit cake every Christmas. I don't know about anyone here but I absolutely dispise fruitcake. It taste horrible to me and I can't imagine anyone liking it. My wife seems to be the exception. How many people here like fruitcake?

2. Servent

Servent Member

Fruit cake no way, But it wouldn't be Christmas in Texas without slooooooooow smoked ribs.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like the sound of that. Texas may be my next christmas stop! Though the last time I was there 1986 in San Antonio (Lackland AFB) when I got to go out there was good food.

4. billreber

billreber New Member

My family "tradition" is quite simple -- FOOD! ANY kind of food, just so long as family and friends are there to share it.

Of course, I am quick to add that beets are not food. Just about everything else is good, but not beets.

And, of course, DW loves beets! Oh, well, off to the store to buy some beets for Christmas!

Bill :godisgood:

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

When my wife and I got married many many years ago, we talked over about what to have on our first Christmas supper, it sounded like we were talking about the same thing but what a shock I got!!!
    She is from Ky and I'm from Fl., we were going to have sweet potatoes, I was thinking of baked and she was doing yams, which are rather sweet. We were talking about stuffing what a shock, she did hers with corn bread or meal and I was used to orsters and white bread or biscuits and what ever else goes in there. And I didn't know one could have a Christmas supper without waldorf salad and cranberry sauce to go with the bird.
    She now has it correct, just the way I like it, but still behind my back she has some her way from time to time, I still teaching.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Agreed, I consider “liquid chicken” a drink.

My psychology professor was explaining that it is a psychological thingy that people often relate getting sick to the last thing they ate and find it disgusting after that.

On the debate side: You shouldn’t be eating bottom dwellers…do you know what those things eat?!

It looks festive, but I wouldn’t eat it.

You think you were shocked about your wife’s cooking??? Have I got some stories for you… Oops…guess who’s home… later. :saint:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Poor Benjamin :laugh:

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Pink Stuff!!! I wouldn't be Christmas without it.

For those poor souls who haven't got a clue, pink stuff is made from your favorite flavor of red jello, cool whip and whatever other goodies you might want to add like pineapple and pecans.

Bitsy, you and I need to talk praline recipes. I can make some mean ones too! :)

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I completely agree. Beets are not food. They are brightly colored blobs of dirt since that is what they taste like- dirt. Once when I was hunting by a sugar beet field, my friends and I cut one open to try it. Same thing: it was dirt, just sweet dirt this time.

Enjoy your Christmas dirt!

I will most likely eat meat for Christmas- lots and lots of meat (not wimpy american portions) cooked slowly over embers.

#29 4His_glory, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  10. Spinach

Spinach New Member

LOL at the dirt beets. One thing I seriously do not recommend is drinking carrot/beet juice right before church. Seriously.

In the States, we would have a nice ham with potatoes, gravy, green beans, rolls, and lots of desserts.

Here we cannot find a nice ham, so I'm doing a nice pork roast with all those other things----on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning has its own traditions----we wake up early and everyone jumps on Mom and Dad's bed, everyone still in pjs. One at a time we instruct the kids to go grab a gift with their name on it. After the gifts are all opened, I run to the kitchen and prepare an enormous brunch. We eat together and read to the kids about the birth of Christ. The rest of the day is to play with all the new toys. For food the rest of the day, we pick at brunch leftovers and cookies and such.

Unfortunately, I picked a fabulous time to once again go off sugar.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I can relate to that. Ham here is a bit different here as well. But I digress; I would rather have the best beef in the world over ham any day.

Here Christmas is celebrated on Christmas eve. Argentines eat dinner late by many standards: around 9:00 PM. After dinner, at midnight, everyone lights off fireworks and many go and wish their neighbors merry Christmas.

12. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

It wouldn't be Christmas at our house without my Granny's chocolate pie. YUM! We also always have date balls, and frosted pecans. Can't do Christmas without 'em!

Christmas morning we have cream cheese stuffed french toast and strawberry sauce.

13. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

On Christmas morning we always have big breakfast -- usually including an egg/sausage casserole, which is delicious. Our neighbors come over & we share a late breakfast together (after opening the gifts that Santa left of course).

While we might have a Christmas ham or a Christmas turkey, we almost always have kugel - interesting since it is a Jewish dish.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Got to have chocolate meringue pie.
    Three sure items on our chirstmas dinner menu is ham, deviled eggs, and cranberry sauce. My son doesn't like turkey, and wouldn't ahve a holiday meal without deviled eggs and cranberry sauce.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turkey, extra gravy, ham, extra gravy, mashed taters, extra gravy, biscuits, extra gravy, and butter. Real butter. Not any of this "I can't believe its not butter", butter.

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I had one of those last week and it was wonderful! I did an iced caramel macchiato tonight, but the next time I go, I'll have to get the peppermint one again.

Mmmmm!!!!!!

There's nothing we really have to have as far as Christmas dinner goes. We used to have lobster every year, but the times they have a-changed. (sorry Mr. Dylan)

I do kinda-sorta miss the annual half hour attempt to get each one into the pot without touching it, then the scream and mad dash across the kitchen when I finally got one in while the boys obliviously sat on the couch watching their football game and drinking beer. Hated to cook 'em, loved to eat 'em!